Do law schools look at this fall's grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
longhorns89

Do law schools look at this fall's grades?

Postby longhorns89 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:48 am

Do most schools that have not yet reached decisions by winter break ask for updated transcripts? Do you need to send them regardless of a request?

I'm asking because today I'm pretty sure I bombed a midterm (or at least did not do well) and I might make a B- when I have not made below a B in any class in college. I also have not done as well in other classes as I should due to a week or so of senioritis earlier in the fall (meaning 2 classes will likely be A- instead of A). I have this feeling that my overall GPA will drop from 3.63 to maybe 3.6 so while that's not a huge drop, it means I move further from the medians which I am already below and adcomms will see a drop in performance, which I would like to avoid. Starting to freak out about the damage this might cause.

Mostly I'm worried about a bottom T-14 school for which I have the median LSAT and a well-regarded regional school for which I am over the 75th percentile for LSAT. Just below both GPA medians though.

Opie

Re: Do law schools look at this fall's grades?

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:07 am

From what I can see, most schools don't ask for anything after your app is complete. They leave it to you to make your case with updates.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:47 am

If you're alread below the median, a marginal drop in GPA probably won't hurt you. They might not even request an updated transcript, though.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 pm

You're supposed to keep your file with LSAC up to date, which includes sending in new grades when they become available.

omninode

Postby omninode » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:44 pm

They will want to see a degree-complete transcript before you start attending law school, but by then it probably won't make a difference. I don't think they will revoke your acceptance because of grades.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:59 pm

bp shinners wrote:You're supposed to keep your file with LSAC up to date, which includes sending in new grades when they become available.

No.

What omninode said. If you increased your GPA, feel free to send an updated transcript to LSAC to help with decisions. If your GPA decreased, then don't send anything.

Schools will request a transcript sometime in the Summer before classes start, but this is mostly because they want to make sure that you graduated. I imagine you'd have to bomb Senior year really hard to have your offer rescinded.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
bp shinners wrote:You're supposed to keep your file with LSAC up to date, which includes sending in new grades when they become available.

No.

What omninode said. If you increased your GPA, feel free to send an updated transcript to LSAC to help with decisions. If your GPA decreased, then don't send anything.

Schools will request a transcript sometime in the Summer before classes start, but this is mostly because they want to make sure that you graduated. I imagine you'd have to bomb Senior year really hard to have your offer rescinded.

While you probably won't get in trouble for it, as they'll ask for it later, you actually do agree to keep your information up to date when you sign up for the CAS. See http://www.lsac.org/JD/Apply/cas-reques ... cripts.asp

Relevant part:
Updating Your Transcript Information

You should have official transcripts sent for any additional academic work completed after your initial Credential Assembly Service law school reports have been forwarded. This information will be incorporated into your file and updated transcript reports will be sent to the law schools as long as their reporting term is still current.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”