Abroad for 8-10 months - When to REtake LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lukeboydwick

Abroad for 8-10 months - When to REtake LSAT

Postby lukeboydwick » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:26 pm

How's it going everyone. I'm brand new here and this is my first post, so...hiya
Anyway I'm in a bit of a spot and I actually don't know what to decide regarding my LSAT retake situation. Hoping some of you have some input, or personal wisdom that could steer me in the right direction.

Long story short:
Will be in Argentina for the next 8-10 months. Took the test here in October, but didn't hit my mark and want to retake the LSAT. However, I'm not taking the December test, and I'm applying for the Fall 2012 term. Just found out the February test is currently not offered in South America (bonus points for anyone who knows why) and now I've officially gone into panic mode.

This leaves me with two options:

1) Take the test in February at a non-disclosed test center for an extra $350+ USD (and an extra pain in my ass - LSAC never makes anything too simple).

Pros:
-Take the test in Feb, and report it to law schools sooner
-Get my decision sooner (hopefully)
-Won't be worrying about the test after Feb (after I take it, I'm leaving my fate in the hands of God)

Cons:
-Extra $350+
-A non-disclosed test center seems less reliable
-Less time to prep

2) Take the test in June in Argentina (or in the USA if I'm back by then)

Pros:
-Normal price
-Extra 5-6 months of study time
-Would still be given priority consideration on apps

Cons:
-Wont hear from law schools until late
-More competitive
-Wayyyy more nerve racking to wait that long, and studying will consume my time while I'm supposed to be

My main question is, how much of a disadvantage am I putting myself in if I wait until June to take the test? Does more study time justify waiting, or would it be in my best interest to bite the bullet, pay the extra $$$, and take the test in Feb.

Thanks in advance for all your help, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

-L. Boydwick

Tiago Splitter

Re: Abroad for 8-10 months - When to REtake LSAT

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Adjust your plans. Don't go to law school until 2013.

lukeboydwick

Postby lukeboydwick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:23 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Adjust your plans. Don't go to law school until 2013.

Thanks for that. It was quite helpful.

So anybody have any real suggestions, and perhaps some reasons to support them?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:27 am

The February tests completely screws you over for fall admissions. By the time you get the score back, schools have mostly filled their classes. You'll get rejected at schools that would've waitlisted you earlier in the cycle, and waitlisted at schools that would've admitted you.

The June test is perfect...for fall 2013.

Be realistic. Go for fall 2013. Waiting a year is not the end of the world.

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:32 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Adjust your plans. Don't go to law school until 2013.

+1.

He's right. Don't go for another year. BTW, you can't take June 2012 and apply in the 2012 cycle. If you want to go next year, you should have taken June and October, not October and other.

If you really want to apply next year, you're going to have to use an undisclosed test center or accept the score you have. Either way is a bad idea, since you'll be applying so late in the cycle.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:45 am

What do you mean June will make you hear way late? You won't be applying for Fall 2012 if you take the June test.

I don't think you have a dilemma here. If you're hell bent on Fall 2012 (not advisable), you HAVE to take the February test and will probably not get into a lot of schools you would have gotten into had you taken the earlier tests.

If you wait a year, June 2012 is perfect for applying for 2013.

lukeboydwick

Postby lukeboydwick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:26 am

Well...I guess it's not what I wanted to hear, but it's helpful nonetheless.

One more question, and I know I'm probably gonna get reamed for it, but is it really terrible to reapply the following cycle should I get denied this time around?

Thanks for the feedback.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:03 am

lukeboydwick wrote:but is it really terrible to reapply the following cycle should I get denied this time around?

Not necessarily. Plenty of people (several on here) have retaken their LSATs and reapplied and gotten into some great schools.
I second what everyone has said above, though - don't bother taking the Feb LSAT and applying late. Give yourself more time to study, knock it out of the park in June, and you'll be ready to apply as early as possible in fall 2012.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:15 am

Ditto on earlier advice. Just a word in favor of a year off. I took a year off before applying in this cycle. I spent that year working full time which greatly increased my self-discipline and work ethic. I would not have wanted year-ago me to rush into law school.

lukeboydwick

Postby lukeboydwick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Now if only I could find a full-time job to occupy my time.

Again, thanks for the input.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 pm

TylerM wrote:Ditto on earlier advice. Just a word in favor of a year off. I took a year off before applying in this cycle. I spent that year working full time which greatly increased my self-discipline and work ethic. I would not have wanted year-ago me to rush into law school.

Not to mention it will help with OCI. I honestly wouldn't recommend going straight through to ANYONE, regardless of circumstance.

lukeboydwick

Postby lukeboydwick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Sorry, I didn't specify. I just graduated in May 2011. I'm spending the year abroad and was planning on going to school next year (Fall 2012). I'm with you, there is no way I could have done another 3 years of schooling right after graduation.

I've taken the test in June and October (saw slight improvement), but now I want to prep with a class and I know being here is the perfect place to study. Living with family, little distractions, and free rent all help. While a year more wouldn't be the end of the world, but I can't help but be optimistic (possibly too optimistic) and think I can improve my score enough to still apply for Fall.

Have an apt scheduled with my pre-law adviser to see what she has to say. Then I can make my decision about Feb or June.

Thanks

ant5do

Postby ant5do » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:28 pm

isn't it 350 dollars to take it abroad anyway? like if you take it in Argentina? i thought that all international tests were not disclosed?

lukeboydwick

Postby lukeboydwick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Non disclosed, but they provide test centers for June, October, and December at no additional cost. At least, I didn't pay any extra I don't think.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:54 pm

I took it abroad in February, and it didn't cost any extra. The facility was in the satellite campus of an American school, and went perfectly smoothly. It was probably a nicer experience than lots of stateside examinations because it was such a small group. And since every test taken abroad is nondisclosed, there's no drawback to February in particular.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm confused on your dates or not, but there's not reason not to take it in February if you'll be applying in the fall of that year.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:The February tests completely screws you over for fall admissions. By the time you get the score back, schools have mostly filled their classes. You'll get rejected at schools that would've waitlisted you earlier in the cycle, and waitlisted at schools that would've admitted you.

The June test is perfect...for fall 2013.

Be realistic. Go for fall 2013. Waiting a year is not the end of the world.

A counter argument to this. I took the LSAT in Feb and as long as you have a good reason for not taking it sooner I think they'll be ok. I was deployed so I had to take things when I could. I actually talked to a couple of admission people about this and they all told me not to worry. My cycle still turned out good. I would not wait till the June LSAT though. Do law schools even consider the June LSAT for the same year registration? What type of schools are you looking at?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”