Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Magical Trevor

Bronze

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by Magical Trevor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:59 am

You can definitely do better than a 165. With a 3.5, military experience, and URM you could shoot for the t14 pretty easily with a little studying.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Magical Trevor wrote:You can definitely do better than a 165. With a 3.5, military experience, and URM you could shoot for the t14 pretty easily with a little studying.
I wish! I've got a wife and two kids to support as well so it'll be easier to go to law school back home in Colorado. Unless I get some sort of full ride my wife will be working to complement my GI Bill benefits.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:
Magical Trevor wrote:You can definitely do better than a 165. With a 3.5, military experience, and URM you could shoot for the t14 pretty easily with a little studying.
I wish! I've got a wife and two kids to support as well so it'll be easier to go to law school back home in Colorado. Unless I get some sort of full ride my wife will be working to complement my GI Bill benefits.

Keep in mind that at B, UVA, or UMich, if you are post 9-11 you will have a full ride and a monthly tax free stipend of $2700, 1530.00, and $1578, respectively. Not enough to support a family of 4, but a very good head start.

tjsmms061906

New

Post by tjsmms061906 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 pm

AAAGGHHHH! Only 5 months from ETS and have to be MEB/PEB now!

Pros: Medical Retirement
Cons: Would I be able to start Fall 2014????

Anyone with experience with this please chime in. Even if I could start school during the process, I would not be issued DD 214 until AFTER Med Board so couldn't get the BAH or YR (or could I?).

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:23 pm

tjsmms061906 wrote:AAAGGHHHH! Only 5 months from ETS and have to be MEB/PEB now!

Anyone with experience with this please chime in. Even if I could start school during the process, I would not be issued DD 214 until AFTER Med Board so couldn't get the BAH or YR (or could I?).

Take a year off and try to get into a good Voc/Rehab program. I have second-hand knowledge of people on it, and its super-sweet. They pay everything, including actual cost of books, bar exam, laptops, and post-grad law books.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:35 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

Keep in mind that at B, UVA, or UMich, if you are post 9-11 you will have a full ride and a monthly tax free stipend of $2700, 1530.00, and $1578, respectively. Not enough to support a family of 4, but a very good head start.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/148027072/201 ... ibbon-Info

I understand the moving the family situation of course, but if you have 100% eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI bill then getting accepted is the hard part, the full ride is easy.

graphia

New

Post by graphia » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Waitlisted at UVA, anyone able to critique my LOCI before I send it in?

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Post by Kevinlomax » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:47 pm

tjsmms061906 wrote:AAAGGHHHH! Only 5 months from ETS and have to be MEB/PEB now!

My condolences.The process sucks...alot of waiting around and a bunch of bureaucratic bs. I started MEB in April of this year. Received unfit memo on June 26. Va ratings back Nov 1. Medical retirement date Feb 25.

The process took me about 10 months and I was considered "fast". Unfortunately ,if you have just started today you will not be done by August. Check out PEBforum.com , it was a tremendous help for me. If you need any help from a fellow Officer having gone through the process feel free to pm me.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:06 am

I'm about to get off active duty in about a month through the Early Career Transition Program. I'd be 80% eligible for the GI bill. If I stay in the military and decide to cancel this transition I'd have to stay for another 3 years. Should I do it? Is 100% eligibility and the yellow ribbon program worth another 3 years? Or should I get out now and consider it a steal?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:03 am

I'd say we would need more info to be able to say. The difference between 80% and 100% is substantial given that you need to be at 100% for the YRP, of course, but that also means that you have to consider whether you need the YRP. If you have a scholarship at a good school that will cover the difference anyway, getting out now looks good. If, however, you are only a couple years from 20, you'd be crazy to cut bait without reeling in the prize. I'm sure you get the point, there's quite a bit to consider.

underwear

New

Post by underwear » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:05 pm

just sent out the first batch of apps. inshah Allah everyone.

Also, how important is it when you're filling out your application that you enter the non-essential questions? There were a few slots that asked for attendance dates, majors, GPA, etc, that you could have entered for all of your schools that you went to. It wasn't mandatory though. The only thing that was required, was stuff like the school name and date you started school (exit date not required).

All the parts that you skipped just says "no answer provided". Is this something that was important?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:10 pm

louierodriguez wrote:I'm about to get off active duty in about a month through the Early Career Transition Program. I'd be 80% eligible for the GI bill. If I stay in the military and decide to cancel this transition I'd have to stay for another 3 years. Should I do it? Is 100% eligibility and the yellow ribbon program worth another 3 years? Or should I get out now and consider it a steal?
3 years is a long time. i'd probably get out, especially if you're planning to come back in as JAG.

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Post by Kevinlomax » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:17 pm

patogordo wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I'm about to get off active duty in about a month through the Early Career Transition Program. I'd be 80% eligible for the GI bill. If I stay in the military and decide to cancel this transition I'd have to stay for another 3 years. Should I do it? Is 100% eligibility and the yellow ribbon program worth another 3 years? Or should I get out now and consider it a steal?
3 years is a long time. i'd probably get out, especially if you're planning to come back in as JAG.

this. get out before the ship sinks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:43 pm

underwear wrote:just sent out the first batch of apps. inshah Allah everyone.

Also, how important is it when you're filling out your application that you enter the non-essential questions? There were a few slots that asked for attendance dates, majors, GPA, etc, that you could have entered for all of your schools that you went to. It wasn't mandatory though. The only thing that was required, was stuff like the school name and date you started school (exit date not required).

All the parts that you skipped just says "no answer provided". Is this something that was important?
They'll see that information in your transcripts, so I guess it won't be a big deal. Why not answer them though? It seems lazy not to.

underwear

New

Post by underwear » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:30 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote: They'll see that information in your transcripts, so I guess it won't be a big deal. Why not answer them though? It seems lazy not to.
once an E4, always an E4...

there was around 7 different colleges dispersed intermittently throughout a span of 8 years or so. Eh, I guess I'll go dig up my records.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:18 pm

How does this happen? You have between 24 and 30 months in service and your contract is for 5 years? Can you at least eek out another 6 months on some sort of admin hold to get up to 90%?

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:41 pm

underwear wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote: They'll see that information in your transcripts, so I guess it won't be a big deal. Why not answer them though? It seems lazy not to.

there was around 7 different colleges dispersed intermittently throughout a span of 8 years or so. Eh, I guess I'll go dig up my records.
lol, I get it.

Luckily I only went to 2 colleges, but it was over a span of 10 years...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:10 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
underwear wrote:

lol, I get it.

I have a dozen schools over ~20 years. Getting all the transcripts pushed anywhere is a pain. In this process I found out that the LSAC website cannot display more than 8 schools.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:19 pm

haus wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote:
underwear wrote:

lol, I get it.

I have a dozen schools over ~20 years. Getting all the transcripts pushed anywhere is a pain. In this process I found out that the LSAC website cannot display more than 8 schools.
wowww haus what did you do??

Also- underwear, I think you only have to include your GPA if you received a degree from that school. That's all I did. I did include the dates and my major for both schools. But, I only had 2 schools to worry about. In the scheme of things, I doubt having all that info included will matter much. You will have to have a transcript from every school sent to LSAC, which they will FWD to every school you apply.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote: wowww haus what did you do??
I dropped out of my first college after I broke my foot a few days into summer after my freshman year. Lost my construction job because I was in a cast and could barely walk around, no income, could not make my tuition payment. While I was healing I dropped into a local community college for a term. I did not like where this change was taking me, so I opted to enlist.

While I was in I took classes that I could fit around my units operational schedule at about six schools in Hawaii and Okinawa. When I got out, I drifted for a couple of years working at hotels, car dealerships, temp agencies, even tried my hand at being a bicycle courier, picking up a few colleges taking evening/weekend courses. Finally ended up in IT, where I landed jobs with employers who would reimburse my tuition and started making a serious effort to complete my degree. Had another change near the end of my undergrad when I moved for a better job (moving from IT to InfoSec).

Once I graduated from no-name school, I felt that they degree I had earned was not as big of a draw as I wanted it to be, so I went to a well known school for a Masters degree (while still working). While I was working on the grad degree I came up with the crazy idea of law school. I landed a nice job around graduation running an incident response team at an organization that happens to be literally next door to a law school with a part-time program.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:40 pm

haus wrote:
Once I graduated from no-name school, I felt that they degree I had earned was not as big of a draw as I wanted it to be, so I went to a well known school for a Masters degree (while still working). While I was working on the grad degree I came up with the crazy idea of law school. I landed a nice job around graduation running an incident response team at an organization that happens to be literally next door to a law school with a part-time program.
Cool story, I bet you have a very interesting PS! Sounds like you have a great job right now. What do you want to do with your law degree? Did you apply/hear from your school yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:57 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote: Cool story, I bet you have a very interesting PS! Sounds like you have a great job right now. What do you want to do with your law degree? Did you apply/hear from your school yet?
Over the last few years I have become convinced that some of the most challenging information security challenges are not directly technical in nature, instead they are contractual and regulatory (especially in large organizations). I suspect that there may be some interesting options for someone who is well versed in the technical aspects of InfoSec in highly regulated industries and also has a law degree (no big surprise I am in the DC area).

I am sitting for the LSAT in Feb, and will submit my applications shortly thereafter.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:10 pm

haus wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote: Cool story, I bet you have a very interesting PS! Sounds like you have a great job right now. What do you want to do with your law degree? Did you apply/hear from your school yet?
Over the last few years I have become convinced that some of the most challenging information security challenges are not directly technical in nature, instead they are contractual and regulatory (especially in large organizations). I suspect that there may be some interesting options for someone who is well versed in the technical aspects of InfoSec in highly regulated industries and also has a law degree (no big surprise I am in the DC area).

I am sitting for the LSAT in Feb, and will submit my applications shortly thereafter.
Nice, good luck and let me know how it goes!

Brlong

New

Post by Brlong » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:10 am

senafront wrote:
Brlong wrote:I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but if you're really concerned about saving money, you might want to be more realistic about what schools you're applying to in the first place. I'm not one to tell someone what to do, but facts and hard evidence support the reality that with your numbers, Harvard and Columbia are not within reach and you'd be throwing your money away. I understand it's just for fun, but you're also taking up those administrators time and spending money that could go towards other realistic applications.

On a separate note, I was in Ramadi in '05 as well so glad to see another vet on here that made it out of that shit hole!

Best of luck.
Thanks, obviously I am concerned about application fees, but I have fee waivers to all those schools except Harvard, and my dad just really wants me to apply there. I am much more concerned about what scholarships I can get. I appreciate the feedback.

Were you on the east or west of Ramadi? My unit was in Junction City, but I was at Corregidor doing electrical most of the time I was there.
I was actually there in '04, '05, '06 and '07. The '05 deployment was split between 1st MARDIV on Blue Diamond and 1/5 on Hurricane Point.

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:11 am

Brlong wrote:
senafront wrote:
Brlong wrote:I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but if you're really concerned about saving money, you might want to be more realistic about what schools you're applying to in the first place. I'm not one to tell someone what to do, but facts and hard evidence support the reality that with your numbers, Harvard and Columbia are not within reach and you'd be throwing your money away. I understand it's just for fun, but you're also taking up those administrators time and spending money that could go towards other realistic applications.

On a separate note, I was in Ramadi in '05 as well so glad to see another vet on here that made it out of that shit hole!

Best of luck.
Thanks, obviously I am concerned about application fees, but I have fee waivers to all those schools except Harvard, and my dad just really wants me to apply there. I am much more concerned about what scholarships I can get. I appreciate the feedback.

Were you on the east or west of Ramadi? My unit was in Junction City, but I was at Corregidor doing electrical most of the time I was there.
I was actually there in '04, '05, '06 and '07. The '05 deployment was split between 1st MARDIV on Blue Diamond and 1/5 on Hurricane Point.
Rah

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”