Withdrawing from a class Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helicio

Bronze

Withdrawing from a class

Post by Helicio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:16 am

How will lsac count a "W" on our transcripts?

Thanks!

-Helicio

billyisdead

New

Re: Withdrawing from a class

Post by billyisdead » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:00 am

LSAC only cares about a WF "Withdraw, Failing". Explain it in your supplemental note with your applications.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:27 am

If it's a regular W, it doesn't affect your GPA at all so you should not write an addendum. It will make you look whiny. If you have a string of them or something, that might raise more questions and then an addendum might be appropriate.

If your school considers the W to be punitive and includes it in your GPA, LSAC will too. (WF is one kind of punitive W but different schools have different names for it.)

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 pm

ladybug89 wrote:If it's a regular W, it doesn't affect your GPA at all so you should not write an addendum. It will make you look whiny. If you have a string of them or something, that might raise more questions and then an addendum might be appropriate.

If your school considers the W to be punitive and includes it in your GPA, LSAC will too. (WF is one kind of punitive W but different schools have different names for it.)
My school doesn't consider a W to be punitive. Right now I have a really good GPA but this class could pull it down if I don't withdraw. However, I have like 2 and a half more weeks to consider withdrawing. (I had forgotten how bad I am at math before joining...)

But if I do withdraw and since the withdrawal would be non-punitive, would it be worth withdrawing if it keeps my GPA at the level it is now (3.96)? Would law schools count this against me if I had a W on my transcript? I'm pretty sure this will be the first and last time I withdraw from a class.

Thanks to both of you for answering. I had used the search function but there seems to be a lot of confusion over the issue.

Helicio

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:02 pm

As was already stated, one non-punitive W is better than letting your GPA fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:As was already stated, one non-punitive W is better than letting your GPA fall.
yep. just take the w.

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks peeps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”