Undergraduate Honors Program

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
albatross92

Undergraduate Honors Program

Postby albatross92 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi everyone,
I am a sophomore, and was invited to apply to my college's Honors Program. I currently have a 4.0 GPA, and the Honors Program has the advantage of letting senior students write a senior thesis for credit. It also allows students to design their own courses, but that is not a privilege limited to strictly Honors students. There aren't really any other advantages to the program - no special internships, early registration times, etc., but I'm kind of worried about taking any risks that would adversely affect my GPA. I would also have to take one interdisciplinary course of any offered by the Program every semester, none of which look particularly easy.
Should I:
1) Get into the Program, and game the system by doing the thesis (which I really want), and then graduating before I do the interdisciplinary course?
2) Not apply at all. I've seen practically everyone emphasize LSAT and GPA. Is this a soft that is worth the risk?

Thanks for all of your opinions.

acrossthelake

Re: Undergraduate Honors Program

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:24 pm

I don't think it's worth it as a soft, but I think it's worth it on a personal enrichment level if you think you'll actually get a better education there. Will it push you to be a better thinker, student, etc.? You say they look difficult--might you develop better skills by taking on a challenge? I definitely had classes in undergrad that enriched me in that way. I had a slightly lower GPA from them, but to me it was worth it. Some will disagree with me, and that's fine, but if you really want to do your thesis, it seems a shame to not do so because you're afraid of an interdisciplinary course.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”