"Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

"Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby leche » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:38 pm

I think I read an answer to this question literally yesterday, but now I can't seem to find the thread, so if someone can direct me to it or answer my question I'd appreciate it.

Is there any strategy to listing the other schools you're applying to (e.g. leaving off reaches or leaving off safeties)? I plan to apply to about 10-12 schools and it seems ridiculous to list all of them.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Schools that ask this question may be concerned about their admissions yield. If so, then one strategy is to just list Yale & Cooley.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby leche » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Hahaha.

Really though. Anyone have other ideas?

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby mrtoren » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:39 pm

There was only one application where I was required to fill it out. The rest I left blank. The other law schools I'm applying to are none of their business.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby duckmoney » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:05 pm

I was thoroughly honest about this on the George Mason application last year. Only school I applied to that straight up rejected me.

Currently enrolled at T6.

vkgarrett
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby vkgarrett » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:00 pm

I was thinking the same thing... anyone else have thoughts on this?

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby freestallion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 pm

IIRC, Columbia's and possibly U Chicago's apps had this. Those don't really seem like the type of schools to YP and my numbers are not YP category for CCN (more like target) so I just listed everything honestly.

vkgarrett
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby vkgarrett » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:12 pm

freestallion wrote:IIRC, Columbia's and possibly U Chicago's apps had this. Those don't really seem like the type of schools to YP and my numbers are not YP category for CCN (more like target) so I just listed everything honestly.


you applied for next fall, correct? I'd be interested to know people who have previously applied and if they think this had an impact on their admissions decision.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby freestallion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm

vkgarrett wrote:
freestallion wrote:IIRC, Columbia's and possibly U Chicago's apps had this. Those don't really seem like the type of schools to YP and my numbers are not YP category for CCN (more like target) so I just listed everything honestly.


you applied for next fall, correct? I'd be interested to know people who have previously applied and if they think this had an impact on their admissions decision.

Yeah unfortunately I don't know how this will bode for me but I think it wouldn't matter at the top schools. They don't YP and know you are going to be applying to HYS, CCN, etc. However for those schools that are known to YP I might be a bit more careful and just list the peer schools. Again since I'm a 0L this is just speculation on my part.

vkgarrett
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby vkgarrett » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:23 pm

freestallion wrote:
vkgarrett wrote:
freestallion wrote:IIRC, Columbia's and possibly U Chicago's apps had this. Those don't really seem like the type of schools to YP and my numbers are not YP category for CCN (more like target) so I just listed everything honestly.


you applied for next fall, correct? I'd be interested to know people who have previously applied and if they think this had an impact on their admissions decision.

Yeah unfortunately I don't know how this will bode for me but I think it wouldn't matter at the top schools. They don't YP and know you are going to be applying to HYS, CCN, etc. However for those schools that are known to YP I might be a bit more careful and just list the peer schools. Again since I'm a 0L this is just speculation on my part.


I bet you will be fine... but for me I'm applying to a pretty large range of schools so I'm not sure...

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby Renzo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:38 pm

List whatever schools you want, and omit those you don't. No one will really care.

sangr
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby sangr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:20 pm

fuck..i listed almost all my schools for this. shoulda left it blank.anyone know if schools really use this for YP or not?

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby duckmoney » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:11 pm

sangr wrote:fuck..i listed almost all my schools for this. shoulda left it blank.anyone know if schools really use this for YP or not?


Generally speaking, schools will YP you only if you will get substantial scholarship to a better school. So usually only schools outside of the T20 or so will YP anyone.

UVA, for instance, probably won't YP anyone, even someone with a 175 / 4.0. (There are other reasons they might ding you, for instance, no good "why UVA" essay). Even with those numbers, there are good reasons to turn down Harvard for a full ride at UVA.

American, on the other hand, WILL YP you with numbers like that (or even substantially worse numbers). Why the hell would you go to American if you can get a full ride from UVA? (Or, for the matter, GW?)

Bottom line: YP is real, but usually only for lower-ranked schools that know you can do much better anyway. If you get YP'd, it's probably for the best.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Yield protection is alive & well. Yale, however, may be an exception.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby leche » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Ok, pardon my ignorance, but what does YP mean? (Yield protect I am assuming, but what does that mean in terms of admission?)

Additionally, my shitty LSAT score is preventing me from applying to any top schools, so I'm looking at more the 30-65 range...does this change how I should answer the question at all?

User avatar
j12
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby j12 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:14 pm

leche wrote:Ok, pardon my ignorance, but what does YP mean? (Yield protect I am assuming, but what does that mean in terms of admission?)

Additionally, my shitty LSAT score is preventing me from applying to any top schools, so I'm looking at more the 30-65 range...does this change how I should answer the question at all?

http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/
You see how in the middle they have that solid green area between two areas of yellow. The yellow on the right is the students that were YP. Not every school does this, and I don't even know well enough to give you a list, but you can see from here that if you're a candidate outside of the range of the students American usually gets they tend to YP. So if you are interested in a school that you are well above the medians, it will be worth your while to make sure the school knows you're sincerely interested.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby leche » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:30 pm

Still confused. Why would they waitlist someone ABOVE their medians?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby ilovesf » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:35 pm

leche wrote:Ok, pardon my ignorance, but what does YP mean? (Yield protect I am assuming, but what does that mean in terms of admission?)

Additionally, my shitty LSAT score is preventing me from applying to any top schools, so I'm looking at more the 30-65 range...does this change how I should answer the question at all?

not really. that was the range of schools i applied to, and i was honest and listed all of my schools. some schools will yp, but if your numbers are really that much higher than their medians, they might you anyway regardless of what you write about the other schools that you're applying to. it isn't a huge deal.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby paratactical » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:41 pm

leche wrote:Still confused. Why would they waitlist someone ABOVE their medians?

Because if they admit you and you go elsewhere it affects numbers re attendance that affect ranking.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby nshapkar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:44 pm

leche wrote:Still confused. Why would they waitlist someone ABOVE their medians?



It has something to do with playing the USNWR, I forgot what exactly though.

EDIT: What person above me said is TCR.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby leche » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:48 pm

Oh, ok.

So basically, I should just leave this stupid question blank, but express sincere interest in a school if I am actually above their medians. (My GPA is above every median; my LSAT score is below them all.)

vkgarrett
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby vkgarrett » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:52 pm

leche wrote:Still confused. Why would they waitlist someone ABOVE their medians?


Because they want the numbers of people who accept their offers to be high. They don't want to give out a bunch of offers and have half the people decided to go to a better school. Basically they think that if your numbers are high enough to get into a school better than theirs, they don't want to waste one of their acceptances on you b/c they want a high "yield".

caminante
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby caminante » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:04 pm

I have been listing peer schools and other regional schools for this question. I feel kinda shady about doing this, as it is only a partial truth, but I just think that's the smart thing to do. They don't specifically say to list ALL the other schools you're applying to, so I don't believe I'm lying when I certify my app.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby nshapkar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:07 pm

leche wrote:Oh, ok.

So basically, I should just leave this stupid question blank, but express sincere interest in a school if I am actually above their medians. (My GPA is above every median; my LSAT score is below them all.)



If that's the case regarding your numbers, you should consider retaking.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: "Are you applying to other law schools?" on apps

Postby leche » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:10 pm

nshapkar wrote:
leche wrote:Oh, ok.

So basically, I should just leave this stupid question blank, but express sincere interest in a school if I am actually above their medians. (My GPA is above every median; my LSAT score is below them all.)



If that's the case regarding your numbers, you should consider retaking.


Haha, thanks. Already retook. Twice.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests