Please answer my question.. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Susan_Walid

Bronze

Please answer my question..

Post by Susan_Walid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:59 pm

So I got a packet in the mail today from a school that would probably be considered a reach for me. They indicated in their letter that they sent LSAC reports indicating what "type" of students they were looking for this year, and that my CAS file met their requirements, and is "exactly what they are looking for." I have gotten fee waivers before, and true, a lot of schools send out fee waivers to increase their rejection rate, but this letter seemed a lot more in-depth. Is this a good sign that the school would accept me? "Exactly what we are looking for," seems like strong language...was just wondering if anyone knew more about these recruitment strategies.

Thanks TLS community.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Please answer my question..

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Don't read any more into it than a regular fee waiver. By the end of the winter, you'll have a stack of viewbooks and "invitations to apply" two feet tall.

Susan_Walid

Bronze

Post by Susan_Walid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:06 pm

For some reason I thought "your CAS report fits exactly what we are looking for" to be rather...well, 100% admission :/

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Susan_Walid wrote:For some reason I thought "your CAS report fits exactly what we are looking for" to be rather...well, 100% admission :/
Schools aren't just "looking for" people to accept. Look at it this way. If a school wants to boost their exclusivity (lowering their acceptance rate), they're also "looking for" people they can reject.

By all means apply to a reach school, but that letter is not a guarantee of anything.

Susan_Walid

Bronze

Post by Susan_Walid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:12 pm

What about "we think you are a strong candidate for one of our scholarships ranging from $8,500-full tuition?" Is that just to entice me to apply as well? Sorry I'm just really clueless when it comes to the admissions process, and if I can save an extra $16, I will!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Sounds like Michigan State. If so, then expect an acceptance & a scholarship.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Susan_Walid wrote:So I got a packet in the mail today from a school that would probably be considered a reach for me. They indicated in their letter that they sent LSAC reports indicating what "type" of students they were looking for this year, and that my CAS file met their requirements, and is "exactly what they are looking for." I have gotten fee waivers before, and true, a lot of schools send out fee waivers to increase their rejection rate, but this letter seemed a lot more in-depth. Is this a good sign that the school would accept me? "Exactly what we are looking for," seems like strong language...was just wondering if anyone knew more about these recruitment strategies.

Thanks TLS community.
In order to make a better judgement, it would help if you shared what school and what your numbers were.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Susan_Walid wrote:What about "we think you are a strong candidate for one of our scholarships ranging from $8,500-full tuition?" Is that just to entice me to apply as well? Sorry I'm just really clueless when it comes to the admissions process, and if I can save an extra $16, I will!
Yes.

Susan_Walid

Bronze

Post by Susan_Walid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Great..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Susan_Walid

Bronze

Post by Susan_Walid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:08 pm

anyone else? bump..

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:50 pm

All of the advice in this thread is sound. The school wants as many people to apply as possible. The more applicants that do, the more they can reject, and the lower their acceptance rate is. If they send those out to people with higher numbers than the school currently has, they may be trying to lure in better talent to boost their overall numbers. You said it was a reach, so it doesnt sound like you have the numbers to get in. Is it worth the $16? It may be. It may not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”