"What other law schools are you applying to" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Curious1

Silver

"What other law schools are you applying to"

Post by Curious1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

How completely, if at all, should we answer this question?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: "What other law schools are you applying to"

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 am

Put down a few peer schools.

It's not going to hurt you; no reason to not answer.

JRockND

New

Post by JRockND » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:17 pm

Hate to be the stickler for rules, but you do sign a statement at the end of the application saying that the information you provide is accurate to the best of your knowledge.

I am curious, however, as to how the law schools use that info. Anyone have any ideas?

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 pm

JRockND wrote:Hate to be the stickler for rules, but you do sign a statement at the end of the application saying that the information you provide is accurate to the best of your knowledge.

I am curious, however, as to how the law schools use that info. Anyone have any ideas?
Well the question is OPTIONAL, so you don't HAVE to fill it out...

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Fill it out completely and honestly, or don't fill it out. It doesn't matter and its certainly not worth fudging the line of a deception over.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:33 pm

MumofCad wrote:Fill it out completely and honestly, or don't fill it out. It doesn't matter and its certainly not worth fudging the line of a deception over.
Yeah I was thinking all-or-nothing. Really a minor issue that only 2 schools ask for, but I wonder what the Columbia people would think if I put down I was applying to HYS.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Curious1 wrote:
JRockND wrote:Hate to be the stickler for rules, but you do sign a statement at the end of the application saying that the information you provide is accurate to the best of your knowledge.

Well the question is OPTIONAL, so you don't HAVE to fill it out...
Plus, it's not like you're bound to apply to those schools and only those schools. Just put down what you're considering at the time, you can always change your mind.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Accurate is not the same as complete. For example, if the question asks "What law schools are you applying to?" (Hopefully with better grammar), and you list three schools of the five you have applied to, you have answered the question accurately, if not completely. If the question says "Provide a complete list of all law school to which you attend to apply to" then a complete list is expected.

That being as it may, the question is a marketing one and I doubt very much anyone will check your answer. Schools want to know how they stand among their peer institutions.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Curious1 wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Fill it out completely and honestly, or don't fill it out. It doesn't matter and its certainly not worth fudging the line of a deception over.
Yeah I was thinking all-or-nothing. Really a minor issue that only 2 schools ask for, but I wonder what the Columbia people would think if I put down I was applying to HYS.
They will think your are a sane, rational person.

I know there is a lot of talk about YPing on here, but if you look at the LSN graph on Columbia, the truth is that almost everyone in a certain number range got in (those very few that were WL in that range, were late appliers). And almost all of those in that auto-admit range applied to HYS. They know this to be true and they won't find it shocking to know that you are not an exception.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:15 pm

I didn't answer it. It's not required and I don't think its any of their business.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Law schools use it to determine what their "peers" are. I know for a fact mine does.

Even if a different school you are applying to is much higher ranked than the one asking you the question, you wouldn't apply to the school in question if you wouldn't attend under any circumstances. Thus if the school in question offered a full ride, or your dream schools rejected you, you would, more than likely, end up at the school in question.

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Meh. I was gonna ask what other people are doing also. But honestly, even if a school used this for YP, I feel like you'd be able to get off the WL pretty easily assuming you were YPed.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:16 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:That being as it may, the question is a marketing one and I doubt very much anyone will check your answer. Schools want to know how they stand among their peer institutions.
This. That's the answer every rep has given me when I asked them, and I've never seen anyone point out any information that would cause me to question it (see LSN graphs).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”