(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
steven0241

Postby steven0241 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Last edited by steven0241 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Army2Law

Re: Disclose small alcohol violation on apps?

Postby Army2Law » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:08 am

If they have a question about disciplinary actions at your UG institution, definitely include it. It won't matter, but if you don't disclose it, you'll be in for an annoying nutroll with C&F. If you have any doubts on an ambiguous question, you can either do it or call admissions to see if you should. HTH

burtonrideclub

Postby burtonrideclub » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:09 am

If they ask for school citations yeah. If just arrests no. Something that small won't make a difference, I had an alcohol arrest and it didn't matter.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:14 am

Why not just err on the side of caution and disclose? Schools won't give a shit about something like this. Especially if it's Tulane

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:16 am

steven0241 wrote:My freshmen year of college, I was caught drinking a can of beer in my dorm room, and received a Level 1 citation from the school. I had to pay $75 and attend a two hour meeting about the alcohol.

Do I really need to disclose this on my law school applications? If so, would I include a separate addendum, and is there a part on the applications to upload such an addendum?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You will definitely need to disclose but I highly doubt it will affect your cycle in any way. FWIW I found out from the dean of students at my UG and an admissions rep at a t-14 that I needed to disclose a warning email I was sent for a minor violation during my freshmen year (no penalty was assessed except "don't do it again") so it would be my guess that you should disclose as well.

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:33 am

If you received a citation you need to disclose it, it apparently won't hurt you and its better to be honest.

Just write up a paragraph saying you were dumb and havent had any problems since.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:06 pm

steven0241 wrote:My freshmen year of college, I was caught drinking a can of beer in my dorm room, and received a Level 1 citation from the school. I had to pay $75 and attend a two hour meeting about the alcohol.

Do I really need to disclose this on my law school applications? If so, would I include a separate addendum, and is there a part on the applications to upload such an addendum?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just be as concise and factual as possible. Stating the facts and concluding with some variation of "I have not had any other disciplinary actions since then" would suffice.

Oban

Postby Oban » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Off topic, but how did you get caught drinking in your room? Was there a snitch? was the door open? Do you go to some ultra Nazi/conservative college?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Oban wrote:Off topic, but how did you get caught drinking in your room? Was there a snitch? was the door open? Do you go to some ultra Nazi/conservative college?

I dont think he specifically said he was alone, so he probably had others in the room that were a little too rowdy. I got caught up in the same situation when some idiot shouted out 'shots' as the dorm security personnel were walking through the hall. I wrote a short, one paragraph addendum that considered it an open and shut case. College is about drinking and having a good time...so IMO don't write some BS about learning a lesson or becoming a better person after getting caught. You got caught, you dealt with the consequences like a mature adult, and you've moved on.

steven0241

Postby steven0241 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:55 am

Last edited by steven0241 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:28 am

steven0241 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. And yeah, I got the violation basically by hosting too many people in my dorm room on a Friday night with loud music playing. Its not hard for someone walking by to tell whats going on in those situations, so it didn't really surprise me at the time.

I have a quick follow up question. I recently called my undergrad's Dean of Students office and they told me that after a student graduates, they shred the entirety of that student's disciplinary records. Campus safety said that they don't release records of any kind without a signed waiver from an alumni, except in extreme cases, like an FBI investigation or something. So basically there is no way of any school I apply to finding out about this violation, and I highly doubt there would be any bar-related issues. Does this change the recommended procedure at all? All other things equal, I would just prefer not to have to attach a disciplinary addendum to my apps.

Nope. Disclose, disclose, disclose. Part of being a lawyer is learning ethics. Just because no one should find out doesn't mean they won't...e.g. Enron, Bill Clinton's affair, the recent online poker bust, etc If you're willing to lie about something so trivial, then this profession isn't for you.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:26 am

disclose. It will not stop you from getting in.

But it could stop you from passing the bar--> failure to disclose.

The whole three years and 100k, do you want it hanging over your head that you might not get licensed because you lied about something stupid?

Disclose.

Also, what the above poster said... really? You want to lie about this shit just because you think can get away with it...? *sigh*

If you are willing to lie about something so trivial, I wonder what will happen when the big things are on the line...

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:40 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Also, what the above poster said... really? You want to lie about this shit just because you think can get away with it...? *sigh*

If you are willing to lie about something so trivial, I wonder what will happen when the big things are on the line...

+1. You should disclose.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”