U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 pm

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/09/11/ ... over-data/

I'm guessing this was Dean Pless that got suspended. It's really too bad. He was always on here answering questions and was a great resource for TLS.

Anyway, if this is posted in the wrong location, mod, please move it.

New Medians (thanks blurbz):
163 and 3.70
http://www.law.illinois.edu/news/article/1614

Wow.
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Yikes.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby MrAnon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm guessing this was Dean Pless that got suspended. It's really too bad. He was always on here answering questions and was a great resource for TLS.

Anyway, if this is posted in the wrong location, mod, please move it.


Pretty sure that if the office of the dean of admissions has been suspended by the university for false advertising then that office is not the best source of information.

Ari Goldsen
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Ari Goldsen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:54 pm

.
Last edited by Ari Goldsen on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby blurbz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:56 pm

I hope it's not Pless.


MrAnon wrote:
I'm guessing this was Dean Pless that got suspended. It's really too bad. He was always on here answering questions and was a great resource for TLS.

Anyway, if this is posted in the wrong location, mod, please move it.


Pretty sure that if the office of the dean of admissions has been suspended by the university for false advertising then that office is not the best source of information.


And please, no. Pless's threads were/are great sources of information. Even if this IS him, he still dedicated a lot of time and effort to this site and had a significant, positive impact.

Edit: Looks like Pless's page has been removed from the COL website. Oy. I'm still hoping it's not him.
Last edited by blurbz on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 pm

So they didn't bump up their LSAT median to 174? damn....

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby MrAnon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:00 pm

blurbz wrote:Most of the articles I see say an "assistant dean" was suspended...So it may not be Pless, just someone in his office.

I hope it's not Pless, at least...


MrAnon wrote:
I'm guessing this was Dean Pless that got suspended. It's really too bad. He was always on here answering questions and was a great resource for TLS.

Anyway, if this is posted in the wrong location, mod, please move it.


Pretty sure that if the office of the dean of admissions has been suspended by the university for false advertising then that office is not the best source of information.


And please, no. Pless's threads were/are great sources of information. Even if this IS him, he still dedicated a lot of time and effort to this site and had a significant, positive impact.



Do you agree that the university website was a great source of information and so were the school publications---until the school published false stats in both?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Ari Goldsen wrote:Possible effect on ranking?

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/educat ... class.html

[UIllinois spokesman] Hardy said the matter is being taken very seriously and the UI did not send erroneous information to the American Bar Association, which collects the material.


So this doesn't seem to be a Villanova-level lie where the ABA (and, by extension, USNWR) got false info.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:05 pm

MrAnon wrote:
blurbz wrote:Most of the articles I see say an "assistant dean" was suspended...So it may not be Pless, just someone in his office.

I hope it's not Pless, at least...


MrAnon wrote:
I'm guessing this was Dean Pless that got suspended. It's really too bad. He was always on here answering questions and was a great resource for TLS.

Anyway, if this is posted in the wrong location, mod, please move it.


Pretty sure that if the office of the dean of admissions has been suspended by the university for false advertising then that office is not the best source of information.


And please, no. Pless's threads were/are great sources of information. Even if this IS him, he still dedicated a lot of time and effort to this site and had a significant, positive impact.



Do you agree that the university website was a great source of information and so were the school publications---until the school published false stats in both?


Do you really have to be an asshole in every thread? This is a person who we know personally. Go back to trolling the Legal Employment forum.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Is UIUC the school that allowed all those people (who had awful numbers) into the law school because of the "connections" the students had?

If so, UIUC is seriously making itself a contender for Shadiest Supposedly-Reputable Law School of the Decade.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby blurbz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:09 pm

MrAnon wrote:
blurbz wrote:Most of the articles I see say an "assistant dean" was suspended...So it may not be Pless, just someone in his office.

I hope it's not Pless, at least...


MrAnon wrote:
I'm guessing this was Dean Pless that got suspended. It's really too bad. He was always on here answering questions and was a great resource for TLS.

Anyway, if this is posted in the wrong location, mod, please move it.


Pretty sure that if the office of the dean of admissions has been suspended by the university for false advertising then that office is not the best source of information.


And please, no. Pless's threads were/are great sources of information. Even if this IS him, he still dedicated a lot of time and effort to this site and had a significant, positive impact.



Do you agree that the university website was a great source of information and so were the school publications---until the school published false stats in both?



Come on, man. I'm not defending publishing false info. I'm saying that he did do some good work and that his outreach on this site was, bar none, the most impressive thing I saw a law dean do. Additionally, my interactions with him have led me to have nothing but the highest amount of respect for him. If this was Pless, then it's a travesty and he ought to be held accountable, but it shouldn't --and, at least for me, it won't-- tarnish everything else he's ever done.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:19 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Is UIUC the school that allowed all those people (who had awful numbers) into the law school because of the "connections" the students had?

Yes indeed.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby blurbz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Is UIUC the school that allowed all those people (who had awful numbers) into the law school because of the "connections" the students had?

Yes indeed.


At least Pless's emails, now available publicly, suggest he was on the "right" side of that debacle. It is those emails that keep me hopeful he's on the "right" side now, too....

In any event, sad day.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby 071816 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Yikes.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby NYC Law » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Should Pless be on here somewhere?
http://www.law.illinois.edu/administrative-directory

ETA: He was removed, I just confirmed with Google Cache.

Pless is the guy. :(
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
Last edited by NYC Law on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

downstream
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby downstream » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:40 pm

blurbz wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Is UIUC the school that allowed all those people (who had awful numbers) into the law school because of the "connections" the students had?

Yes indeed.


At least Pless's emails, now available publicly, suggest he was on the "right" side of that debacle. It is those emails that keep me hopeful he's on the "right" side now, too....

In any event, sad day.



"Right side"?? Can you read? All of those kids were admitted.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby blurbz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:40 pm

NYC Law wrote:Should Pless be on here somewhere?
http://www.law.illinois.edu/administrative-directory



Yes.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby blurbz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:42 pm

downstream wrote:
blurbz wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Is UIUC the school that allowed all those people (who had awful numbers) into the law school because of the "connections" the students had?

Yes indeed.


At least Pless's emails, now available publicly, suggest he was on the "right" side of that debacle. It is those emails that keep me hopeful he's on the "right" side now, too....

In any event, sad day.



"Right side"?? Can you read? All of those kids were admitted.




If you look at the emails that are available about it, he said repeatedly that he was against the arrangement and did not want to do it.

I'll ask you the same question: Can you read?

I didn't say that the scandal didn't happen, just that the documents released by U of I suggest that throughout it, Pless was on the "right" side of it.


And before you jump all over me and call me a U of I apologist... no, I don't defend that scandal either. In fact, I have very little respect for the woman who was Dean at the time (and who is still on the faculty here).

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby MrAnon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:45 pm

That's great that you hold him in high regard on that issue, but U of I still did it.

downstream
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby downstream » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Passive-aggressive arguments via email is hardly taking a stand.

That scandal stunk to high heaven. He would have resigned if he was really against it.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby MrAnon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:47 pm

downstream wrote:Passive-aggressive arguments via email is hardly taking a stand.

That scandal stunk to high heaven. He would have resigned if he was really against it.


Yeah it could also be interpreted as covering one's -----.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby blurbz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 pm

MrAnon wrote:That's great that you hold him in high regard on that issue, but U of I still did it.



Yeah, and I'm not defending it.

____________

Anyway, here's a quote from the State of Illinois Admissions Review Commission:

"The Commission notes that the record is replete with instances in which Pless resisted efforts both by outside forces and by Hurd to impose admissions decisions on the College and, in some instances, reversed admissions decisions that Pless and his admissions staff had already made."


--LinkRemoved--

Again, I'm not defending that scandal, but Pless was, without a doubt, on the right side of it.

downstream
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby downstream » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:52 pm

I assure you, there can be no "right side" of a scandal of that nature. You're either in it or not. There are no sides.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15515
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Five guaranteed legal jobs in exchange for letting one connected kid? Sounds like a hell of a deal for the students.

Of course, if the school was letting in a lot of connected people with crappy numbers, they'd need to falsify data to keep those medians high.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:57 pm

downstream wrote:I assure you, there can be no "right side" of a scandal of that nature. You're either in it or not. There are no sides.


First of all, the "scandal" was admitting people with low numbers in exchange for jobs for Illinois graduates. As far as scandals go a lot of schools have done a lot worse.

Second, you really think he should have quit his job because his boss made him admit a few kids with shitty numbers? In an ideal world that might have been nice, but realistically who in the fuck would take that kind of stand? Dude's got a wife and kid.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests