Character and Fitness/Alcohol

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Character and Fitness/Alcohol

Postby badnews2 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:43 pm

In the fall of my freshman year I was hospitalized for alcohol consumption and was put on housing probation for underage drinking. I was never charged with a crime, etc. I have had no other disciplinary incidents and don't even drink now. Do I need to explicitly say I was hospitalized in my addendum? I've written one explaining the housing probation for underage drinking, but the hospitalization makes it sound a lot worse. I know that some schools ask that you get a letter from your dean explaining the incident. Would the dean be allowed to disclose that I was hospitalized? If you think I should disclose the hospitalization, how would one best (though I know there's really no good way) word that?

Thanks for any help you can give! This has really been stressing me out.

ETA: For what it's worth, my numbers are 3.7/172.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Character and Fitness/Alcohol

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Going to the hospital is not a crime, so you don't have to specifically disclose that. But you will have to disclose the incident in general since it resulted in formal discipline from your undergrad institution. I'd include an addendum explaining the facts, and then also mention that things were bad enough that you went to the hospital, how you've grown from that incident, etc.

Postby pbarber » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:17 pm

I would call the admissions office and ask, better yet, send them and email so you have proof of what they say. At first glance I would say no because the usually just want academic probation and disciplanary probation stuff.....never heard of housing probation. But always double-check, u don't want to complete 3 years of school for nothing.

Postby MumofCad » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Always disclose when in doubt. You never need to disclose your medical records though involuntarily.

I would personally write it like this, check yes for disciplinary action (any disciplinary action should just be documented in case because it will most likely show up on later paperwork should you be admitted)

Addendum: During my X year of college, I was involved in an underage binge-drinking incident that resulted in my receiving housing probation. something or other about what you learned.

I don't think its a big deal or will matter unless you don't disclose.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”