Of these 2 scenarios, which looks better: Summa cum Laude or Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ComatoseClown

Bronze

Of these 2 scenarios, which looks better: Summa cum Laude or

Post by ComatoseClown » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Scenario 1: B.A. in Sociology, summa cum laude
or
Scenario 2: B.A. in Sociology, but also with a Minor in Economics (but no Latin honors)

Questions for you, with the above scenarios in mind:

i. Which scenario looks better to law schools?

ii. You've decided to work for 1 year before beginning law school. Which scenario looks better to potential employers? (My gut feeling is Scenario 2 because of the Economics minor, but my problem is there's a slight chance I won't be able to graduate on time if I minor in Economics. [I really just wish getting a job wasn't so shallow-based in the sense that it's what's on your RESUME--i.e. the word "Economics"--that matters, regardless of if one actually is knowledgable in it but without a degree. Or is this not the case? I'd be grateful for any of your thoughts on this.)
Last edited by ComatoseClown on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Of these 2 scenarios, which looks better: Summa cum Laude or

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Latin honors always look better. Not sure it matters much, but if anyone does care, honors matters more than a minor. Nobody gives a shit about minors.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:45 pm

If there's one thing people give fewer shits about than latin honors, it's minors.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 pm

You're still a sociology major. Many employers LOL at sociology majors--with or without latin honors, with or without a minor.

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Latin honors >>>> any minor unless you want to do something in the specific area of your minor (e.g. if you want to do ibanking after graduation, the econ minor could help...but for law school it's not even close--latin honors).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:40 pm

You must plan on being really bad at economics if taking a minor would drop you from summa to nothing.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Not understanding why these options are mutually exclusive.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Which looks better?
Scenario 3: B.S. in Economics, summa cum laude.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:05 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:08 pm

5ky wrote:You must plan on being really bad at economics if taking a minor would drop you from summa to nothing.

ComatoseClown

Bronze

Post by ComatoseClown » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks for the responses so far;
5ky wrote:You must plan on being really bad at economics if taking a minor would drop you from summa to nothing.

I should clarify: The reason is is because Economics department at my institution is notorious for being tough, and summa cum laude is reserved for the top percentile of the class or something close to that.

So now regarding the significance of Minors: But wouldn't an Employer look nicely upon a Minor, if the accompanying Major (i.e. Sociology) is not at all that marketable? Why are Minors not considered all that great in general; don't they show that the student took the time to engage in an additional concentration?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:02 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:Thanks for the responses so far;

I should clarify: The reason is is because Economics department at my institution is notorious for being tough, and summa cum laude is reserved for the top percentile of the class or something close to that.

So now regarding the significance of Minors: But wouldn't an Employer look nicely upon a Minor, if the accompanying Major (i.e. Sociology) is not at all that marketable? Why are Minors not considered all that great in general; don't they show that the student took the time to engage in an additional concentration?
Majors hardly matter at all. A minor is even less work in that field. Relevant skills and experience reigns supreme.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:06 pm

]

Do you go to Harvard or Chicago? Judging by the following, I doubt it, and thus I highly doubt your institution is "notorious" for being tough. Law school is also "tough." Toughen up.

ComatoseClown wrote:I'm a transfer student who was accepted to UC San Diego for this fall, but my admission has now been permanently revoked. All UCs, most privates, and CSUs have already passed their deadlines. Now I'm stuck without a college for an entire year.

With that, I did much research and find that some [accredited] online schools have bachelor's programs beginning in October. These online degree schools seem to be very much flexible.

My question: Does it matter to Law schools if our UG is an Online school (WASC accredited)? (I did attend an on-campus community college for two years.) Will our GPA, say if it is a 3.8, be equated the same as say a 3.8 from a UC school?

The specific school I'm looking at is TUI University -- http://www.tuiu.edu/degreeprograms.html)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Which looks better?
Scenario 3: B.S. in Economics, summa cum laude.
This. From what I've seen this will give you just a tiny boost in applying to law school but a very nice boost in OCI.

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:54 pm

If it was truly an either/or question - just take the GPA.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:05 am

Nope, sorry, minors are almost always pointless. Think of it this way: at my UG, most minors were four classes. Liberal arts kids could very nearly earn a minor in history or political science or a number of other fields just by choosing the right gen ed classes. Minors almost always mean "I chose to take one elective in this field instead of in basket weaving. I know slightly more about the subject than my classmates."

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:38 pm

As has been said, majors and minors mean nothing. Unless a job requires a degree in something specific (like many science jobs) then they really don't even look at your major. You should major in something that you're good at or something that you want to learn to be good at.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”