Reusing Personal Statement written last cycle for this one?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
treeborn

Reusing Personal Statement written last cycle for this one?

Postby treeborn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:15 am

I applied to schools last cycle, and decided to reapply to some schools that I was waitlisted at.

Is it legitimate to reapply with my same personal statement as last cycle for these repeat schools? Mind you, I believe my personal statement to be excellent, and have corroborating opinions from peers and professors assessing the quality of the statement.

What do you all think?

Samara

Re: Reusing Personal Statement written last cycle for this one?

Postby Samara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:21 am

I think you should have something different in your application. Adcomms are just going to wonder why you didn't listen the first time if you submit the same app. If you're confident that your PS is top notch, then consider retaining it, but keep in mind that some schools (Penn is one I think) require a new PS if you are reapplying.

treeborn

Postby treeborn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:29 am

Samara wrote:I think you should have something different in your application. Adcomms are just going to wonder why you didn't listen the first time if you submit the same app. If you're confident that your PS is top notch, then consider retaining it, but keep in mind that some schools (Penn is one I think) require a new PS if you are reapplying.

Thanks for your advice. Quite a few things will be different in my application. I have an improved LSAT this cycle, and for most schools, I'll have a new "Why X" essay. Additionally, I'll have a new year long job on my resume, teaching abroad.

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:44 am

Some schools require new personal statements and letters of req. (Penn Law) Check with the school to be safe.

straxen

Postby straxen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:59 am

I would probably not submit the exact same PS to schools you applied to previously, particularly if your new experiences affect the message in your PS. But if the app is changed substantially otherwise, yeah you can use a PS that's essentially the same with tweaks.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm not sure how long law schools keep applicants' records..but if they can see you previously applied and have your old materials, using the same personal statement could come back to bite you. It demonstrates laziness and shows schools that you don't feel its worth your time to improve the essay. It may even be construed as deception by some. Its your call, but I would at least modify it. No paper is 'perfect'

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:28 pm

At the very least, you should be able to rewrite a few sections incorporating the personal growth that you've experienced over the last year (not necessarily with a content change, though that would be good). While re-reading your PS, there wasn't a single section/sentence/word that you would rephrase if you rewrote it now?

treeborn

Postby treeborn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks for all your input. I'll probably do a few tweaks to the statement before I send it in.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know offhand which schools in the top 20 require new personal statements for reapplicants, aside from Penn? Mostly concerned about USC, Cal, Michigan, UVA and Cornell. I've looked at a majority of these schools' admissions websites, and can't find any information suggesting they do require a new PS.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:38 pm

I applied in two cycles and totally rewrote the PS.

I highly recommend you do the same, honestly.

treeborn

Postby treeborn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:17 am

Michigan and USC recommend a new PS, while it seems that UVA and Cornell require one.

Guess I'm writing a new one for the schools I'm reapplying to!

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:17 pm

ugh I just read about cornell, *darth vader noooooooooo*

Anyone know if this is true of NYU? info is not available on their site and they have yet to get back to me via e-mail.

EDIT: for OP and others interested here's what columbia had to say:

"Thank you for your interest in Columbia Law School. You will need to re-submit all of your information, however your personal statement does not have to be entirely new. You may submit an edited version of your original statement. "

Looks like as long as you update them on what you've done and make your essays better it's ok.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:34 am

I did not rewrite it, I refined it. Used a new opening and new closing, and revised some parts of the middle. Didn't add in any new materials.

I would suggest you do something with it. Show some effort.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:12 pm

I used the same personal statement to reapply, had a slightly higher LSAT. It didn't hurt me in any way.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”