ED/TFA Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

ED/TFA Question

Postby wjs98 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Last edited by wjs98 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ED/TFA Question

Postby Tanicius » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:21 pm

This is invariably up to each individual school. Just call and ask.

Re: ED/TFA Question

Postby RTFM » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:56 am

Sigh. There are a billion threads about why not to do TFA just to get into law school, which I'm not necessarily saying that you are doing, but if you are really this set on going to law school you should probably just go. TFA markets itself as a resume-booster, and it is, but it's a pretty grueling way to go about boosting your resume and if your heart isn't really in it you will have a horrible 2 years.

However, if you are serious about doing TFA you should absolutely wait to apply. Though I clearly can't tell to what degree it helped, I do think that being in TFA gave my applications a boost (and I know several TFA people who got into Harvard with "reach" numbers). Also, it will save you a bundle in application fees. Also, you will have something interesting to write about in your PS. Also, you will (probably) be able to add at least one solid LOR to your application. Also, you may decide that you don't want to go to law school. There are so many reasons to wait. From what I remember of the application timeline, if you apply to the earliest TFA deadline (the application is pretty simple) you should hear back before you would send in applications.

You're probably not going to know whether you can get a deferral until after you are admitted (most schools will tell you that it's a case-by-case basis). Whether a school will even consider giving a deferral to an ED candidate is something you will have to ask the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”