Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dean159

Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby dean159 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:34 am

Hi all,

I'm an international applicant (from Australia) and I definitely found looking at the discussion in last year's thread to be really helpful in thinking about my app this year so I thought it'd be great if all of us foreign applicants had a place to discuss the trials and tribulations of the law school application process.

I guess I'll start off the discussion.

I've got an LSAT score of 179 and a GPA evaluation of superior and I'm really hoping to get into one of the top 6 or so schools. Right now I think Columbia at least is a pretty good possibility (I know a couple of other Australians who got in with similar numbers). While HLS also seems to pretty numbers based I really have no idea how they treat internationals so I don't want to get my hopes up.

I guess one question I have for all the internationals from last or this year is what you guys did (if anything) for DSs. I kind of feel like it's worthwhile writing a DS, however, other than the obvious fact that there aren't too many Australians at US law schools I don't really know what substantive factors make me that diverse.

Anyway, I hope this thread ends up being useful and best of luck to everyone in this year's cycle.

SentinelsOfEvil

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:00 am

dean159 wrote:Hi all,

I'm an international applicant (from Australia) and I definitely found looking at the discussion in last year's thread to be really helpful in thinking about my app this year so I thought it'd be great if all of us foreign applicants had a place to discuss the trials and tribulations of the law school application process.

I guess I'll start off the discussion.

I've got an LSAT score of 179 and a GPA evaluation of superior and I'm really hoping to get into one of the top 6 or so schools. Right now I think Columbia at least is a pretty good possibility (I know a couple of other Australians who got in with similar numbers). While HLS also seems to pretty numbers based I really have no idea how they treat internationals so I don't want to get my hopes up.

I guess one question I have for all the internationals from last or this year is what you guys did (if anything) for DSs. I kind of feel like it's worthwhile writing a DS, however, other than the obvious fact that there aren't too many Australians at US law schools I don't really know what substantive factors make me that diverse.

Anyway, I hope this thread ends up being useful and best of luck to everyone in this year's cycle.

Columbia should be a cinch and you may have a real shot at HYS. I got into Columbia with a 179 and an above average without any DS. Just apply early in the cycle and you should do quite well

dean159

Postby dean159 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:31 am

That's really nice to hear. Hope you enjoy Columbia.

Do you happen to know of any internationally educated students who managed to get into HYS? It still seems to me like a black box with regards to how they treat internationals.

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 am

dean159 wrote:That's really nice to hear. Hope you enjoy Columbia.

Do you happen to know of any internationally educated students who managed to get into HYS? It still seems to me like a black box with regards to how they treat internationals.

i think 1 person this cycle got into harvard with a 180 and a superior... don't know too much more... but yes, it seems very difficult for internationals...

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm at least a quasi-international applicant - I got my UG degree overseas, but have been in the US for about eight years now and recently became a US permanent resident.

My stats are 174 and 'superior.' I have some unusual softs, including a Ph.D. from a decent US university in a law-related subject. I'm also aiming for a top 6 - although I would be happy with something a bit lower + money. My wife has family in New Haven, but I'm trying not to think about that.

Dean: that's an amazing score! I couldn't even get a 179 for a practice test, and I used to think I was smart. I'm inclined to think you shouldn't write a diversity statement if you don't have much to say except that you're Australian. Schools will give you credit for that whether you write the statement or not, imho. Of course, whether you want to take advice from a 174er with no special knowledge is another question ;)

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi!
I am international student from Russia but I probably will be getting my green card soon. I 've taken LSAT twice (154, 165) and planning on retaking in Oct. I have a GPA rank as "above average", was out of UG for 3 years. Not really sure what school I can get into... Really hoping to raise my score in October...
Last edited by IamIn on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi,

I am an International applicant from South Asia. I got 164 on my first LSAT, but I am retaking in October and really hoping to hit 170. LSAC still hasn't processed by transcript, but I will probably be given an "Above average" label. Michigan and Cornell are my dream schools but I could end up not even applying to them if my LSAT score does not improve significantly.

I am also applying to Canadian schools.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:47 pm

not sure how much I can help out but feel free to pm. As far as the DS goes I'd definitely write ones for schools that make you write optional essays (Penn/Mich).

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:23 pm

How much time does it take for LSAC to process our transcripts? It's been three weeks since they received it, and they still haven't processed it. Should I be freaking out?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:06 pm

I can't remember how long it took but it definitely took a while for mine to get processed

bk641

Postby bk641 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:46 am

hi guys, checking in. surprised to see two aussies in here already! hopefully i see you guys next year... i have a 3.82/174.

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:19 pm

UK undergrad, 174 LSAT/no GPA equivalent yet but i'd guess it'll be above average

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:52 pm

What's with all the super high LSAT scores? :(

BKB

Postby BKB » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi all, I'm Chinese UG, 174/superior. Do you guys request fee waivers? I suppose since we don't have LSDAS GPA, we cannot get fee waivers through CRS.

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:50 am

BKB wrote:Hi all, I'm Chinese UG, 174/superior. Do you guys request fee waivers? I suppose since we don't have LSDAS GPA, we cannot get fee waivers through CRS.

I did get 2 fee waivers through CRS (Columbia and UVA I think) and I requested and got another (Michigan).

BKB

Postby BKB » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:19 am

SentinelsOfEvil wrote:
BKB wrote:Hi all, I'm Chinese UG, 174/superior. Do you guys request fee waivers? I suppose since we don't have LSDAS GPA, we cannot get fee waivers through CRS.

I did get 2 fee waivers through CRS (Columbia and UVA I think) and I requested and got another (Michigan).

Good News, thanks. So when do you get it? I hope to submit my application early.

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:21 am

BKB wrote:
SentinelsOfEvil wrote:

Good News, thanks. So when do you get it? I hope to submit my application early.

usually late aug/early september...

dean159

Postby dean159 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:48 am

Has anyone else noticed that on the Michigan app there's no option in the Demographics section to state that you are neither a US citizen nor permanent resident? All the other apps that I've looked at provide an option for this. Was this the case last year, and if it was, what did anyone who applied last year do about it?

To be honest, I'm not even sure if it's worth it for me to spend the money to apply to Michigan in the first place, as I'm not really that interested in attending there and I don't really feel like writing supplementary essays for a place I'm not that excited by. But for anyone that does want to apply there, this might be an issue.

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:33 am

dean159 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that on the Michigan app there's no option in the Demographics section to state that you are neither a US citizen nor permanent resident? All the other apps that I've looked at provide an option for this. Was this the case last year, and if it was, what did anyone who applied last year do about it?

To be honest, I'm not even sure if it's worth it for me to spend the money to apply to Michigan in the first place, as I'm not really that interested in attending there and I don't really feel like writing supplementary essays for a place I'm not that excited by. But for anyone that does want to apply there, this might be an issue.

We definitely had a way to indicate that we were neither citizens/permanent residents... P.S. I know of an international student who got a full scholarship to Michigan just because she wrote the supplemental essay (P.S. IMO, they waitlisted me despite a 179 LSAT score because I didn't write the "Why Michigan?" essay)... If you do apply, don't ignore the so-called "optional essay"...

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:02 pm

dean159 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that on the Michigan app there's no option in the Demographics section to state that you are neither a US citizen nor permanent resident? All the other apps that I've looked at provide an option for this. Was this the case last year, and if it was, what did anyone who applied last year do about it?

I put my citizenship status on my CV, under a 'personal' section. The other parts of my CV also make it fairly clear. Would that be enough?

Also, for someone from Australia, the winters in Michigan would be abysmal. I made a similar move a few years ago - it wasn't so much the extreme cold, but how long the extreme cold lasts.

BKB

Postby BKB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:09 am

I asked UM's addcom this question. They say they will fix it soon.

dean159

Postby dean159 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:19 am

Also, for someone from Australia, the winters in Michigan would be abysmal. I made a similar move a few years ago - it wasn't so much the extreme cold, but how long the extreme cold lasts.

Haha, I think I'm going to experience that problem anywhere except California. When I was studying abroad in the US I just wore seemingly endless layers of clothes. The snow was cool at first though, but the novelty wears off pretty fast.

dean159

Postby dean159 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:39 am

Also, have any people without US GPAs been given fee waivers for any of the T14s. I've got a couple from some lower ranked schools but none from T14s, despite the fact that my LSAT score would suggest that I should have received one (I think I remember seeing that Michigan and Chicago at least have started handing them out).

I'm planning to wait a few more days and then email the admissions offices, but I was wondering if it was just me, or whether they've been ignoring all foreign applicants.

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:16 am

dean159 wrote:Also, have any people without US GPAs been given fee waivers for any of the T14s. I've got a couple from some lower ranked schools but none from T14s, despite the fact that my LSAT score would suggest that I should have received one (I think I remember seeing that Michigan and Chicago at least have started handing them out).

I'm planning to wait a few more days and then email the admissions offices, but I was wondering if it was just me, or whether they've been ignoring all foreign applicants.

I got fee waivers from from Columbia, Michigan and UVA without a GPA... I had to send Michigan an e-mail before they sent me the waiver though...

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:50 pm

dean159 wrote:Also, have any people without US GPAs been given fee waivers for any of the T14s. I've got a couple from some lower ranked schools but none from T14s, despite the fact that my LSAT score would suggest that I should have received one (I think I remember seeing that Michigan and Chicago at least have started handing them out).

I have been sent half a dozen fee waivers, but all from schools outside the T14. I emailed Georgetown last Thursday as a test, but haven't heard back yet.

Also, a question for other foreign candidates: what are you guys putting in the UG GPA box on your applications? Are you leaving it blank? Are you calculating a GPA yourself? I asked a couple of Americans, and they thought I should list my LSAC evaluation, so it would read:

GPA
'Superior' (LSAC Evaluation)

Good or bad idea? What are you guys doing?

EDIT: Georgetown replied with a fee waiver. I then emailed UVA and they sent me a waiver in less than an hour. I'm not emailing other schools right now, as apparently Georgetown and UVA are the only T14 schools granting waivers by request at the moment.

EDIT 2: just successfully solicited a Michigan fee waiver! That's 3 of the T14.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”