Unknown Undergraduate Institution

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sea15
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby sea15 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 pm

I have a 4.0 and a 172 LSAT and, until recently, assumed I could get into many T-14s. I hadn't thought about the fact that I went to an unknown undergraduate institution. I was reading another forum about Stanford students that all of them are from top undergrad institutions.

So my question is- how much will my crappy undergraduate institution affect admissions decisions? Is this a legitimate concern or am I over-thinking things?

I couldn't find this elsewhere, but if there's another thread about this, point me in the right direction!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:14 pm

It's not going to hurt you except possibly at the HYS level since they factor in softs moreso than other schools (and undergrad prestige is a soft). But then undergrad prestige is just one of the soft factors so it gets jumbled up with everything else that isn't your numbers.

People from top undergrad institutions tend to do better on the LSAT and there is some grade inflation at top undergrads so that is often a reason why people from top undergrads are disproportionately represented.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby Moxie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:16 pm

bk1 wrote:It's not going to hurt you except possibly at the HYS level since they factor in softs moreso than other schools (and undergrad prestige is a soft).


I always thought it would be a negative at HYS, but I know plenty of people here at HLS who came from schools I'd never heard of. OP, from my experience it doesn't seem like UG matters at all for admissions here, except maybe a small boost for Harvard undergrads.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:16 pm

sea15 wrote:I have a 4.0 and a 172 LSAT and, until recently, assumed I could get into many T-14s. I hadn't thought about the fact that I went to an unknown undergraduate institution. I was reading another forum about Stanford students that all of them are from top undergrad institutions.

So my question is- how much will my crappy undergraduate institution affect admissions decisions? Is this a legitimate concern or am I over-thinking things?

I couldn't find this elsewhere, but if there's another thread about this, point me in the right direction!


Probably won't matter a whole lot. HYS will be tough though with those numbers anyway unless you have some kind of ace-in-the-hole. Good luck.

sea15
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Re: Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby sea15 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks all. Not really looking at HYS necessarily (I realize I'm low on the numbers), just the T14 in general. The Stanford post just got me worried it might be like that everywhere.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby shoeshine » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:27 pm

The above advice is correct except in one instance. Was your UG online? There is a negative stigma attached to online schools when it comes to T14 admissions. University of Phoenix or Full Sail University stand out in my mind but there are tons of fully accredited UGs that offer strictly online degrees.

sea15
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Re: Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby sea15 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:28 pm

Not online. A legitimate undergraduate degree from a fully accredited school. Known in my home state, just not elsewhere. It's a small private school.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby shoeshine » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:30 pm

sea15 wrote:Not online. A legitimate undergraduate degree from a fully accredited school. Known in my home state, just not elsewhere. It's a small private school.

Then you are fine.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:45 pm

shoeshine wrote:The above advice is correct except in one instance. Was your UG online? There is a negative stigma attached to online schools when it comes to T14 admissions. University of Phoenix or Full Sail University stand out in my mind but there are tons of fully accredited UGs that offer strictly online degrees.


There are plenty of UoP undergrads who go to class at their groud campuses and never have a class online. Is it the fact that it has an online component or that it is UoP that gives it the stigma?

I wish there were some people from UoP who could give us evidence of a negative, positive or neutral impact their UG may have had on their cycle.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Unknown Undergraduate Institution

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Moxie wrote:
bk1 wrote:It's not going to hurt you except possibly at the HYS level since they factor in softs moreso than other schools (and undergrad prestige is a soft).


I always thought it would be a negative at HYS, but I know plenty of people here at HLS who came from schools I'd never heard of. OP, from my experience it doesn't seem like UG matters at all for admissions here, except maybe a small boost for Harvard undergrads.


H is the most numbers based of the 3 because its class size means it can't be as selective.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests