Suffolk Law grad,127K debt,jobless,living at home, taking Qs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Suffolkscrewed

Suffolk Law grad,127K debt,jobless,living at home, taking Qs

Postby Suffolkscrewed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:55 pm

I graduated in 2011 from Suffolk law after deciding to attend on a 1/3 merit scholarship. I finished in the top 1/3 of the class and could/can not find any work. I only know of a handful of kids in my class who got a paying job and only 3 people who got 'biglaw.' I currently am volunteering and have some paralegal job interviews lined up next week but with 127,000 in debt I feel like I am totally screwed. I am 26 years old and am living at home with my parents for the forseeable future. Since tomorrow will consist of looking for jobs on Craigslist/my local newspaper I thought I would at least entertain some questions.

Is this a bash towards Suffolk? Yes and no, I feel cheated but I made the choice to attend. I am hoping I can answer some questions for people considering a TT/TTT/TTTT school who might be making a similar 6 figure mistake in the near future.

Ask away? And remember, debt is very very real and can ruin the rest of your life. With interest etc I am looking at 180K.

shanejamin

Re: Suffolk Law grad,127K debt,jobless,living at home, taking Qs

Postby shanejamin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:01 am

God damn, that really blows. Not really a question, just...sucks.

dt1708

Postby dt1708 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:05 am

Did you find work 1L or 2L summer? If so what?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:07 am

In your opinion, what is the main reason that you did not secure a job at graduation? Poor OCI interviews, inability to network successfully, etc?

Also, quite interesting you posted this in the admissions forum and not the students and graduates forum.

Suffolkscrewed

Postby Suffolkscrewed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:12 am

dt1708 wrote:Did you find work 1L or 2L summer? If so what?

Yes, 1L worked non profit and 2L at a medium firm that ended up not hiring any of the SAs for that summer due to poor financial performance for the year.
MrPapagiorgio wrote:In your opinion, what is the main reason that you did not secure a job at graduation? Poor OCI interviews, inability to network successfully, etc?

Also, quite interesting you posted this in the admissions forum and not the students and graduates forum.

Haha, Suffolk does not have a legitimate 'OCI', I mass mailed local firms. Honestly, there are a plethora of schools in the Boston area. Suffolk and it's large class are at the bottom of the foodchain.

I posted it here so future 1Ls can see it and hopefully learn. I would give anything to go back to 2008.
Last edited by Suffolkscrewed on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:12 am

Did you know about rankings, "the law school scam", etc before you matriculated?

Just curious to know if you thought you could beat the odds, or if you didn't know how bad it would be before you showed up...

Oh, and sorry, that sucks.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:14 am

What other schools were you accepted into?

Suffolkscrewed

Postby Suffolkscrewed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:15 am

firemed wrote:Did you know about rankings, "the law school scam", etc before you matriculated?

Just curious to know if you thought you could beat the odds, or if you didn't know how bad it would be before you showed up...

I knew about as much as my other 600 plus classmates. We all thought we could not go wrong witha legal degree. I am not the only one go is screwed, 90% of our class is in trouble. I looked and believed Suffolks stats on their site. I feel like an absolute idiot for not thinking the ' if it is to good to be true it usually is' mantra.

Suffolkscrewed

Postby Suffolkscrewed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:17 am

NYC Law wrote:What other schools were you accepted into?

NESL, Syracuse, Maine, Roger Williams, Uni. of Richmond to name a few

I had a 3.62 GPA and a 157 LSAT.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:17 am

How long are you willing to look for a JD/bar required job before you start branching out to other field?

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 am

Suffolkscrewed wrote:
firemed wrote:Did you know about rankings, "the law school scam", etc before you matriculated?

I knew about as much as my other 600 plus classmates. We all thought we could not go wrong witha legal degree. I am not the only one go is screwed, 90% of our class is in trouble. I looked and believed Suffolks stats on their site. I feel like an absolute idiot for not thinking the ' if it is to good to be true it usually is' mantra.

Wow....

I don't know what to say. Sorry though.

Suffolkscrewed

Postby Suffolkscrewed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:How long are you willing to look for a JD/bar required job before you start branching out to other field?

Until December. I have actually signed up to donate sperm (not kidding) and I have ben giving blood/plasma. I feel like I am going to be screwed for life. I just want to pay off my debt ASAP.

boaltrising3l

Postby boaltrising3l » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:20 am

How do the parents feel about the whole situation?

Suffolkscrewed

Postby Suffolkscrewed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:22 am

boaltrising3l wrote:How do the parents feel about the whole situation?

Sympathetic and trying to do whatever they can to help. Facing them has honestly been the hardest part.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:23 am

Suffolkscrewed wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:How long are you willing to look for a JD/bar required job before you start branching out to other field?

Until December. I have actually signed up to donate sperm (not kidding) and I have ben giving blood/plasma. I feel like I am going to be screwed for life. I just want to pay off my debt ASAP.

I did this in UG, it made me feel sick all the time. Good luck man.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:24 am

Have you considered attempting to go solo?

(Obviously not a good plan going into a TTT, but if your back's already against a wall....)

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 am

Suffolkscrewed wrote:

You're not screwed for life. Pass the bar, haul ass as a paralegal and impress the attorneys in the firm. Hopefully, that can turn into a full-time associate position.

You will figure it out. You're 26 and have a lot of life ahead of you. Best of luck.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 am

That sucks but your story is the reality of probably well over half of law students these days. Do you think there is any way to get the message across any clearer to those who are taking the LSAT now or preparing to go off to school in the fall that going to law school won't necessarily improve their lot in life? I feel like so many think that by hiding in law school they will miss the economic downturn. Doesn't seem like that really worked out for you.

colbarfran

Postby colbarfran » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 am

That sucks big time bro.....

Have you entertained thoughts of joining the military or moving abroad to get out of the debt??

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:26 am

Suffolkscrewed wrote:

If you don't get a job by December I might recommend going to a CC and getting certified in a trade. Welding makes a lot of money, for instance. Sheet metal, auto mechanic, plumbing, electrician, etc.

Or you could try to get into healthcare, which is actively growing: nursing is big right now... and many CCs offer associate degrees in nursing for basically free these days. Or with your GPA if you like science then something like Physician Assistant could work. EMT-B isn't a hard cert to get (1 semester), and you can make $15 an hour driving an ambulance. If you are on the income based repayment it would still suck, but... you know...

Good luck homey.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:26 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Suffolkscrewed wrote:

You're not screwed for life. Pass the bar, haul ass as a paralegal and impress the attorneys in the firm. Hopefully, that can turn into a full-time associate position.

You will figure it out. You're 26 and have a lot of life ahead of you. Best of luck.

Paralegal jobs are not training grounds for associate positions. Never have been, never will be. You are generally on the paralegal track or the lawyer track.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:27 am

colbarfran wrote:That sucks big time bro.....

Have you entertained thoughts of joining the military or moving abroad to get out of the debt??

He could get a forbearance and do this:

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/

Edited for: clarification
Last edited by firemed on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suffolkscrewed

Postby Suffolkscrewed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:30 am

Goin to bed, I will be back tomorrow. Thanks for the support and 0L students who are about to enter LS, rather it be a t14 or TTTT, feel free to ask my any questions.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:35 am

So what exactly is your financial situation re:loans? What options do you have for IBR? How much are you going to have to pay monthly on loans - give a range if necessary.

I know this is a really tough situation and I am sorry this happened to you. Just try to stay positive.

It is more than obvious that thousands of people still buy into the concept of a law degree as a guaranteed path to success. You are not the only one.

I'm really sorry and wish I had some good suggestions for you. Right now any job that will get you on IBR is smart. Paralegal is better than nothing.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:36 am

Question. Based on tons of advice for succeeding in law school on this site coming from students in top schools, do you think the same advice goes for lower ranked schools like T3 and T4 or does it require a bit of adjusting that advice to fit the teaching methods of the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”