Class of 2014 medians

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
avemundi

Class of 2014 medians

Postby avemundi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:10 am

Hi, um, not sure if this is the right forum to post about this, but here goes:
Right now, it seems that the most up-to-date LSAT/GPA medians we have are for the class of 2013. Does anyone know when we find out the medians for the class of 2014?
And also, I'm guessing....when they do release the c/o 2014 medians, we should evaluate our chances based on those medians?
Sorry if this has been discussed already - I did search the forum but couldn't seem to find anything.

bdubs

Re: Class of 2014 medians

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 am

I think these are generally "released" to incoming students during orientations. Those should be starting in 2-4 weeks depending on the school.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:36 am

Bump. How do we find out what the new medians are? I know US News and World Report doesn't publish them until the Spring...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:43 am

LaCumparsita wrote:Bump. How do we find out what the new medians are? I know US News and World Report doesn't publish them until the Spring...

Typically students at various orientations will report them when they find out. There will probably be a big thread compiling all the data created in a few weeks.

avemundi

Postby avemundi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 am

i see i see
so....i'm guessing when the schools make their decisions based on numbers, they'll be using the c/o 2014 medians, right?

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:59 am

Bump. And since there were a lot fewer applicants this year, can we expect the medians to go down a point or will they most likely stay the same?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 pm

avemundi wrote:i see i see
so....i'm guessing when the schools make their decisions based on numbers, they'll be using the c/o 2014 medians, right?

Schools don't really use the median numbers of prior classes to make their decisions. It isn't like schools are shooting to keep their medians consistent at a certain level, they want those numbers to be as high as possible. The medians are useful to you as an applicant though, because it shows you what caliber of student the school has been able to attract, and you can see how you stack up.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:19 pm

So what do we think? Medians staying the same at T14 schools or dropping a point?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:21 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
LaCumparsita wrote:Bump. How do we find out what the new medians are? I know US News and World Report doesn't publish them until the Spring...

Typically students at various orientations will report them when they find out. There will probably be a big thread compiling all the data created in a few weeks.

A lot of schools will also publish an entering class profile on their website with this information, and last year that seemed to come out mostly in September.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:31 pm

So schools will be using yet unpublished medians to judge this fall's applicants? Yikes. I'm already dangerously close to falling below a couple of GPA medians for schools I was considering EDing to.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

A lot of schools will also publish an entering class profile on their website with this information, and last year that seemed to come out mostly in September.

Truth. In fact, that's probably more common (I think).

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:02 pm

So do we think that LSAT medians will stay the same or drop due to the decline in number of applicants last cycle?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:45 am

LaCumparsita wrote:So do we think that LSAT medians will stay the same or drop due to the decline in number of applicants last cycle?

I opened law school numbers, and opened up two tabs, one with last year's graph and one with this year's, a lot/most of the T20s I looked at seemed to be slightly more selective than last year.

So my vote is stay the same/go up slightly?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:29 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
LaCumparsita wrote:So do we think that LSAT medians will stay the same or drop due to the decline in number of applicants last cycle?

I opened law school numbers, and opened up two tabs, one with last year's graph and one with this year's, a lot/most of the T20s I looked at seemed to be slightly more selective than last year.

Were you looking at matriculants or just acceptances?

As the number of applicants went down, I think we'll see lower-ranked schools become less competetive, with little change at the top.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 pm

SilverE2 wrote:

Also, the outlier low numbers all come at the end of a cycle as schools go further down waitlists. For the same reason, many people stop updating LSN if they are on waitlists at the end of the summer and there could be missing data points here.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm

OnceUponAMemo wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

Also, the outlier low numbers all come at the end of a cycle as schools go further down waitlists. For the same reason, many people stop updating LSN if they are on waitlists at the end of the summer and there could be missing data points here.

Yeah, but that's something that is fairly similar from year to year. Now, if waitlists are being utilized substantially different this year, then we would have some issues with the comparability of the data. I don't know if this is or is not the case though.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
OnceUponAMemo wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

Yeah, but that's something that is fairly similar from year to year. Now, if waitlists are being utilized substantially different this year, then we would have some issues with the comparability of the data. I don't know if this is or is not the case though.

Completely agree. I just wanted to warn people off from trying to predict precise median numbers using this year's self-reported data.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Emma. wrote:

Schools don't really use the median numbers of prior classes to make their decisions. It isn't like schools are shooting to keep their medians consistent at a certain level, they want those numbers to be as high as possible. The medians are useful to you as an applicant though, because it shows you what caliber of student the school has been able to attract, and you can see how you stack up.

Admissions officer at MVP flat at told me that they would only offer scholarship to accepted applicants "At or above both of last year's medians." I was above 75% GPA and 1 point below LSAT median, got no money, and withdrew. They definitely care about last year's medians and about maintaining them.

As for whether the scores will drop - yes, there are fewer applicants, but as retaking is becoming more and more popular applicants have, on average, a higher LSAT score. I doubt the medians will drop much, if at all, especially at the top schools. Some schools (like Chicago with all the Rubenstein money) will very likely raise their medians.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:08 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Admissions officer at MVP flat at told me that they would only offer scholarship to accepted applicants "At or above both of last year's medians." I was above 75% GPA and 1 point below LSAT median, got no money, and withdrew. They definitely care about last year's medians and about maintaining them.

As for whether the scores will drop - yes, there are fewer applicants, but as retaking is becoming more and more popular applicants have, on average, a higher LSAT score. I doubt the medians will drop much, if at all, especially at the top schools. Some schools (like Chicago with all the Rubenstein money) will very likely raise their medians.

+1 I REALLY think medians are gonna go up guys...

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Last edited by Yeshia90 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:28 pm

this should be quite interesting

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:14 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:
Emma. wrote:

What are you basing that on? Only time will tell, but it's the October and December tests that will make or break the medians. If the number of test takers drops drastically from the year before like in June, the only way to raise medians would be to cut class sizes. And I don't think that's going to happen.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 pm

duckmoney wrote:

Non-URM with a GPA below the 25th percentile got a full ride at Michigan last year.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Entchen

Spend about five minutes on LSN and you will see dozens of applicants with one number below a median who got money.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:01 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:
Emma. wrote:Schools don't really use the median numbers of prior classes to make their decisions. It isn't like schools are shooting to keep their medians consistent at a certain level, they want those numbers to be as high as possible. The medians are useful to you as an applicant though, because it shows you what caliber of student the school has been able to attract, and you can see how you stack up.

What are you basing that on? Only time will tell, but it's the October and December tests that will make or break the medians. If the number of test takers drops drastically from the year before like in June, the only way to raise medians would be to cut class sizes. And I don't think that's going to happen.

Absolutely nothing. Gut feeling seeing how cycles have been going.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:10 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:

Absolutely nothing. Gut feeling seeing how cycles have been going.

If anything, medians will probably go down or plateau.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162157
Here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=161778
And some other thread I can't find.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”