Serious + stupid LOR question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
darkatillam2

Serious + stupid LOR question

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Background:

So I went to a large public school and I am about 4 years out of UG.

I completed my degree not really being close to any of my professors (in part due to larger class sizes). I could say with confidence only one might still remember me, and he retired.

So my question is this:

When I apply to schools who want/request an academic LOR, do you think it's an option to ask a high school teacher? I say "option" because I know it's certainly not ideal, but as far as academic references go, it's either high school or nothing.

A guess a positive note is that I am sure I could get a glowing rec from one of my old English teachers I stayed in contact with after school. But again, it's high school and I'm not sure if the law school(s) I apply to would see that and look at it more negatively than if I just did two professional references even though the school(s) requests an academic one.

Thoughts?

NYCbound35

Re: Serious + stupid LOR question

Postby NYCbound35 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 pm

No.

Find a class you got an A in. Email the professor with the situation, and they will write something generic for you. Do not worry, it won't hurt; LORs barely matter. Get a 2nd one from one of your supervisors at work. You'll be fine with that.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Do not go with a high school teacher..... A general rule with the personal statement is to keep everything post-high school, so I would extrapolate that to the rest of your application.

I think you're going to have to try to do your best and email some professors from college. I'm sure you'll get something.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Alright, thanks guys. High school teacher is out.

I'll try emailing an old professor and getting something generic. I've tried to find my top 3 choices on my college's webpage and none of listed so that's discouraging. Maybe I'll try calling and finding out what happened to them and to see if I can contact them. It'll be a long shot, but guess that's all I'm left with.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Try finding them on linkedin or something; you might be able to see where they work now.

Also if you can just find one professor to write you a recommendation, you can use that plus one from your boss/supervisor (assuming you've been working in the four years out of UG.)

Good luck!

drays917

Postby drays917 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Do you still live in the same area as your UG? If so, a lot of the time if you e-mail a professor you had and explain to them the situation, you can just go to their office and chat about whatever for a little while. That way, combined with knowing whatever grade they gave you, they'll feel like they know you well enough to write a decent LOR.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:17 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:Alright, thanks guys. High school teacher is out.

I'll try emailing an old professor and getting something generic. I've tried to find my top 3 choices on my college's webpage and none of listed so that's discouraging. Maybe I'll try calling and finding out what happened to them and to see if I can contact them. It'll be a long shot, but guess that's all I'm left with.

It's not too hard to google stalk them especially if they are still teaching. I was able to do this by tracking down a professor from a small school who moved to a small school... I even found his thesis lol.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”