Serious + stupid LOR question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
darkatillam2

Bronze

Serious + stupid LOR question

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Background:

So I went to a large public school and I am about 4 years out of UG.

I completed my degree not really being close to any of my professors (in part due to larger class sizes). I could say with confidence only one might still remember me, and he retired.

So my question is this:

When I apply to schools who want/request an academic LOR, do you think it's an option to ask a high school teacher? I say "option" because I know it's certainly not ideal, but as far as academic references go, it's either high school or nothing.

A guess a positive note is that I am sure I could get a glowing rec from one of my old English teachers I stayed in contact with after school. But again, it's high school and I'm not sure if the law school(s) I apply to would see that and look at it more negatively than if I just did two professional references even though the school(s) requests an academic one.

Thoughts?

NYCbound35

Bronze

Re: Serious + stupid LOR question

Postby NYCbound35 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 pm

No.

Find a class you got an A in. Email the professor with the situation, and they will write something generic for you. Do not worry, it won't hurt; LORs barely matter. Get a 2nd one from one of your supervisors at work. You'll be fine with that.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Do not go with a high school teacher..... A general rule with the personal statement is to keep everything post-high school, so I would extrapolate that to the rest of your application.

I think you're going to have to try to do your best and email some professors from college. I'm sure you'll get something.

darkatillam2

Bronze

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Alright, thanks guys. High school teacher is out.

I'll try emailing an old professor and getting something generic. I've tried to find my top 3 choices on my college's webpage and none of listed so that's discouraging. Maybe I'll try calling and finding out what happened to them and to see if I can contact them. It'll be a long shot, but guess that's all I'm left with.

Dany

Diamond

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Try finding them on linkedin or something; you might be able to see where they work now.

Also if you can just find one professor to write you a recommendation, you can use that plus one from your boss/supervisor (assuming you've been working in the four years out of UG.)

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drays917

New

Postby drays917 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Do you still live in the same area as your UG? If so, a lot of the time if you e-mail a professor you had and explain to them the situation, you can just go to their office and chat about whatever for a little while. That way, combined with knowing whatever grade they gave you, they'll feel like they know you well enough to write a decent LOR.

JDndMSW

Silver

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:17 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:Alright, thanks guys. High school teacher is out.

I'll try emailing an old professor and getting something generic. I've tried to find my top 3 choices on my college's webpage and none of listed so that's discouraging. Maybe I'll try calling and finding out what happened to them and to see if I can contact them. It'll be a long shot, but guess that's all I'm left with.

It's not too hard to google stalk them especially if they are still teaching. I was able to do this by tracking down a professor from a small school who moved to a small school... I even found his thesis lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�