Does reapplying hurt your chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kazu

Does reapplying hurt your chances?

Postby kazu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:54 am

Not asking for myself, but for a friend.

Has anyone heard of cases when schools hold grudges against reapplying candidates? Assume that numbers/timing won't change much - the applicant will reapply with largely the same #s (maybe a slightly higher GPA), and had already applied on the early side the first time around and will repeat that again. The only main difference would be another year of WE.

She feels like she underperformed her numbers, so she wants to try again (esp. since she has a job right now), but what she's worried about is that the school that's accepted her this year w/ $ (one of the T6) might ding her next year or give her less money.

Just wondering if anyone's heard of this happening? We've tried searching TLS for info but most of the advice is about reapplying with stronger #s. Any insight would be really appreciated.

Moomoo2u

Re: Does reapplying hurt your chances?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 am

I'm doing this, so I hope not. I can't see how applying twice would hurt you. I assume they give you the same consideration.

For financial reasons I couldn't attend Cornell or Georgetown last year and I had to deny my acceptances, I asked admissions if this would reflect negatively on future applications and both of them said no. Whether they say what they mean or mean what they say is obviously difficult to figure out.

They might want to see evidence of what's changed since the last time you applied, if you were accepted and rejected then reapplied maybe that would do something but even then I doubt it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:15 am

Any specific reason why she thinks she underperformed?

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:30 am

bk1 wrote:Any specific reason why she thinks she underperformed?

Based on her #s, she feels like she should've gotten into a school that she didn't. And she really wants to go there, enough to sacrifice another year.

I've already talked to her about the fact that there's really no clear reason why she would do better the second time around, but she still wants to give it another try. At this point we're just wondering if there'll be any negative effects from reapplying.

jbwez121

Postby jbwez121 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:37 pm

I do not think it would hurt her chances. I went through something similar where I applied the previous cycle, withdrew AFTER paying the seat deposit. When I applied the next cycle, I briefly explained the situation in an addendum and was ACCEPTED. I also think schools may be indifferent because there will always be someone waitlisted to take the place of someone who withdrew.

She could always state that it is for financial reasons, or to gain more WE before committing to law school. If you want my sample addendum, please PM me...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”