Evaluations Contra Recommendations

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anewaphorist

Evaluations Contra Recommendations

Postby anewaphorist » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:56 pm

LSAC has asked me multiple times now if I'm submitting any evaluations with my LORs. What benefit would an evaluation confer on my application? I know what the basic principle is--quantitative analysis of a student's abilities--but is it worth my time to do one or two? Should they be submitted by someone other than a recommendor, or would it be best to have one of them complete a separate evaluation? I feel like this may be asking a little much of them, that is, writing a school-targeted letter, a general letter for all law schools, and an evaluation as well...what do you think?

cinephile

Re: Evaluations Contra Recommendations

Postby cinephile » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 am

I wouldn't do an evaluation unless that school specifically recommends or requires evals. FWIW, I had a recommendor also complete an evaluation.

sammacd25

Postby sammacd25 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:07 am

Last edited by sammacd25 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:01 pm

cinephile wrote:I wouldn't do an evaluation unless that school specifically recommends or requires evals.

sammacd25

Postby sammacd25 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Last edited by sammacd25 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Dany wrote:
cinephile wrote:I wouldn't do an evaluation unless that school specifically recommends or requires evals.

This.

I didn't do evals.

winning

Postby winning » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:28 pm

I've been told by people who work in the admissions departments of various T-14 law schools that an evaluation would only be valuable if there was a narrative attached to each rating. The numbers alone would prove of little use to the evaluators. That being said, the admissions person from Penn that I talked to at a law school forum had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned evaluations. Then he said, "Oh, those things that LSAC started doing last year? Yea, we don't need them."

Again, depends on the school. Check in with the schools you're applying to.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:33 pm

I was just up at the Chicago law school forum, and I asked reps from almost the entire T-14 what they thought about the evaluations. Uniformly they said they are not required, and that an applicant without any is not a problem. Some spoke disparagingly of them. One director of admissions said that the only useful section could potentially be the comments, but then, why not just write a letter of recommendation?

I don't plan on submitting any.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”