Patent Bar

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
john1990

Patent Bar

Postby john1990 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:49 am

I didnt know where to post this so if an admin would like to move it go ahead.
My question is how do i select classes to fill the 24 credit hour requirement for physics to sit for the patent bar?
Am i allowed to take 8 different 100 level physics? Or 4 100's and 4 200's? What are the rules for selecting physics classes.
Also, if anyone know what the job field is like for patent lawyers, or any other information that interesting let me know.
If im not mistaken patent lawyers ensure that products are safe and unique enough to be patented

Re: Patent Bar

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:54 am

john1990 wrote:I didnt know where to post this so if an admin would like to move it go ahead.
My question is how do i select classes to fill the 24 credit hour requirement for physics to sit for the patent bar?
Am i allowed to take 8 different 100 level physics? Or 4 100's and 4 200's? What are the rules for selecting physics classes.
Also, if anyone know what the job field is like for patent lawyers, or any other information that interesting let me know.
If im not mistaken patent lawyers ensure that products are safe and unique enough to be patented

You don't get a job just taking enough classes to pass the bar. You need to get a real engineering degree. Electrical, mechanical, bio, compsci, something useful.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:00 am

Desert Fox wrote:
john1990 wrote:I didnt know where to post this so if an admin would like to move it go ahead.

You don't get a job just taking enough classes to pass the bar. You need to get a real engineering degree. Electrical, mechanical, bio, compsci, something useful.

Your saying that simply passing the patent bar wont be enough to get a job as a patent lawyer? I dont understand.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 am

john1990 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Your saying that simply passing the patent bar wont be enough to get a job as a patent lawyer? I dont understand.

Yea nobody is going to hire you.

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:13 am

john1990 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Exactly. Passing the bar is necessary, but not sufficient. You have to demonstrate a solid understanding of science/engineering, and the best way to do that is have an engineering or science degree.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:18 am

deadpoetnsp wrote:
john1990 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Exactly. Passing the bar is necessary, but not sufficient. You have to demonstrate a solid understanding of science/engineering, and the best way to do that is have an engineering or science degree.

Alright, so what classes would be "sufficient" in giving me the knowledge needed to be a patent lawyer? I see that most physics majors only take 30 credits or so in physics.

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:34 am

john1990 wrote:Alright, so what classes would be "sufficient" in giving me the knowledge needed to be a patent lawyer? I see that most physics majors only take 30 credits or so in physics.

Classes/credits are the means, not an end. No amount of credits can give you knowledge if you don't have the interest/inclination/receptiveness to science. You are conflating the requirements for a degree with the intent of the degree. What I'm trying to point out is that having sufficient science credits to give the bar does not automatically mean that you will do well in law firm interviews. They will want you to demonstrate understanding of science and will compare you to candidates for whom science is a passion, who will often have graduate degrees in science/engineering in addition to undergraduate degrees.

Typically, law firms will not be convinced of your fit as a patent lawyer unless you have a science/engineering degree. That said, many patent practitioners who are practice patent litigation do not have science degrees (you don't need to give the patent bar for patent litigation).

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:43 am

Classes/credits are the means, not an end. No amount of credits can give you knowledge if you don't have the interest/inclination/receptiveness to science. You are conflating the requirements for a degree with the intent of the degree. What I'm trying to point out is that having sufficient science credits to give the bar does not automatically mean that you will do well in law firm interviews. They will want you to demonstrate understanding of science and will compare you to candidates for whom science is a passion, who will often have graduate degrees in science/engineering in addition to undergraduate degrees.

Typically, law firms will not be convinced of your fit as a patent lawyer unless you have a science/engineering degree. That said, many patent practitioners who are practice patent litigation do not have science degrees (you don't need to give the patent bar for patent litigation).[/quote]

I do have an interest in science and i am constantly bombarded with knowledge from my room mate who is a chemistry major wether i like it or not :lol: I would like to be a part time life time student and i had planned on taking science classes even before i found that patent law requires them.
I understand how my original post might have created a different impression. I am simply trying to figure out the rules before i decide where i fit in.

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:50 am

john1990 wrote:
deadpoetnsp wrote:Classes/credits are the means, not an end. No amount of credits can give you knowledge if you don't have the interest/inclination/receptiveness to science. You are conflating the requirements for a degree with the intent of the degree. What I'm trying to point out is that having sufficient science credits to give the bar does not automatically mean that you will do well in law firm interviews. They will want you to demonstrate understanding of science and will compare you to candidates for whom science is a passion, who will often have graduate degrees in science/engineering in addition to undergraduate degrees.

Typically, law firms will not be convinced of your fit as a patent lawyer unless you have a science/engineering degree. That said, many patent practitioners who are practice patent litigation do not have science degrees (you don't need to give the patent bar for patent litigation).

I do have an interest in science and i am constantly bombarded with knowledge from my room mate who is a chemistry major wether i like it or not :lol: I would like to be a part time life time student and i had planned on taking science classes even before i found that patent law requires them.
I understand how my original post might have created a different impression. I am simply trying to figure out the rules before i decide where i fit in.

Ok :) Feel free to ask more questions.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:03 am

john1990 wrote:I do have an interest in science and i am constantly bombarded with knowledge from my room mate who is a chemistry major wether i like it or not :lol: I would like to be a part time life time student and i had planned on taking science classes even before i found that patent law requires them.

Since you have an interest in science, have you thought about switching your major? I know this might seem daunting now, but even if a science degree would require another 1-2 more years of UG, it might make sense, especially if you're really interested. The upside, least of which is pat bar eligibility, would be a far more useful UG degree that will qualify you for better jobs/opportunities out of UG and later.

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:34 am

drdolittle wrote:
john1990 wrote:I do have an interest in science and i am constantly bombarded with knowledge from my room mate who is a chemistry major wether i like it or not :lol: I would like to be a part time life time student and i had planned on taking science classes even before i found that patent law requires them.

Since you have an interest in science, have you thought about switching your major? I know this might seem daunting now, but even if a science degree would require another 1-2 more years of UG, it might make sense, especially if you're really interested. The upside, least of which is pat bar eligibility, would be a far more useful UG degree that will qualify you for better jobs/opportunities out of UG and later.

+1

chem

Postby chem » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 am

deadpoetnsp wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

+1

Agreed, but if you are unwilling to change majors, and completely set on doing law work related to science and technology, I would say the best bet would be to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam. Its generally the best way to show that you have a grasp of engineering and science if you don't have the degree.

Bonus: It even makes you patent bar eligible

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm

You're going to have a really hard time even getting an interview, though, if you don't have at least an undergrad degree in some type of science. If you're not in one of the engineering fields, you'll have a hard time getting an interview without an advanced degree. If you really want to practice in the patent field, you should major in a science and strongly think about (at the very least) a master's degree. You'll be competing against people with PhDs, though, so it's tough if you're not at a top school.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:14 pm

drdolittle wrote:

I am going to be a senior this year so i dont want to delay my graduation. Instead, id rather just start taking physics classes to learn in my spare time. My UG degree is in accounting so it is somewhat useful and i dont think it makes sense to change majors at this time. Id rather have an accounting degree and then build onto that.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Why do you want to do patent law so badly anyway.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Im not 100% sure on patent law yet, im just interested in seeing what it takes to do it. Obviously the money is a huge factor. Also, the job sounds interesting. Filing patent applications and ensuring that products are safe and unique enough to earn a patent while also doing patent litigation. The job sounds interesting and rewarding. Further, i had been playing with the idea, or planning, on taking science classes in college after graduation anyway at some pace. I have been interested in science for a few years now and i miss physics from high school.
So, what classes should i take to become a patent lawyer? Is physics the right field or should i be doing something more with technology?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:39 pm

chem wrote:
deadpoetnsp wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

+1

Agreed, but if you are unwilling to change majors, and completely set on doing law work related to science and technology, I would say the best bet would be to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam. Its generally the best way to show that you have a grasp of engineering and science if you don't have the degree.

Bonus: It even makes you patent bar eligible

Thanks for the tip. Could i self study for this test like the LSAT, or would it be better to go after the 24 credit hours?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:47 pm

john1990 wrote:Im not 100% sure on patent law yet, im just interested in seeing what it takes to do it. Obviously the money is a huge factor. Also, the job sounds interesting. Filing patent applications and ensuring that products are safe and unique enough to earn a patent while also doing patent litigation. The job sounds interesting and rewarding. Further, i had been playing with the idea, or planning, on taking science classes in college after graduation anyway at some pace. I have been interested in science for a few years now and i miss physics from high school.
So, what classes should i take to become a patent lawyer? Is physics the right field or should i be doing something more with technology?

Patent doesn't really deal with safety.

You should get a degree in a real engineering field. EE, ME, CS, BioE. ChemE. Short of that I wouldn't bother.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”