(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:06 am


Postby dkt14 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:07 pm

Is hours of internship (or internship in general) a significant factor that wields chances of admittance?

User avatar

Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Internship

Postby jdMission » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:54 pm

No one can deny that your LSAT score and undergraduate GPA (and graduate GPA, as the case may be) are two of the most important factors with regard to which law schools may grant you admittance, but they are not the only ones that matter. I encourage you to spend a good deal of time on your complete application, including your resume, which includes all your professional and community work, your essays and your letters of recommendation. Why? Because these additional elements of the application provide a more complete picture of you as an applicant—and can truly make the difference between being accepted and being rejected.

Your essay may demonstrate your strong writing abilities, even if your GPA is not as strong as you would like it to be. A detailed resume can demonstrate to the admissions committee that you would add diversity to an entering class that would not be the same without someone like you. Letters of recommendations can demonstrate your strong capacity to succeed in law school, even if your LSAT scores may not be stellar.

Don’t discount any element of the application process. Law schools continue to ask for a variety of elements for a reason—to get a complete sense of you as a candidate. Be your best advocate.


Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Internship

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:59 pm

dkt14 wrote:Is hours of internship (or internship in general) a significant factor that wields chances of admittance?

No. Schools care mostly about LSAT and GPA, and those two factors count for about 95% of your chances; everything else makes up about 5%.

Don't listen to jdMission. Obviously, the law school bubble is deflating, applicant numbers are tanking, and he/she must be desperately looking for work.

User avatar

Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: Internship

Postby l'aviadora » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:13 am

Fail. You both are saying the same thing. Namely, LSAT and GPA are at the least 95 percent of the admissions equation. The idea is that all other parts of the application that make you unique must be well crafted. This is important for reaches. This is a competition. As far as internships, they're good but I doubt they're game changers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests