LOR recommender not responding...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

LOR recommender not responding...

Postby ignoramus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:43 am

I e-mailed him about a week ago, which I guess isn't that long, but he was a TA when I took a class from him in the spring of 2010, working toward his phd. I know he was still teaching at my university as of spring 2011, but I'm not sure if he's still there now? Once he got his phd, maybe he decided not to check his university e-mail account anymore. I don't know if he's still working there or not, but I looked at the lists of all classes in his subject for summer and fall 2011 and he's not listed as teaching any of them, which isn't a good sign.

I did really well in his class and I'd like him to be a recommender for me, but what am I supposed to do if I can't contact him? It's hard to get good recommenders at my huge state school. The thing is, I just googled his name to see if I could find any contact info for him, and I found both his facebook and his twitter (hah). He seems to update his twitter frequently, and I can't really tell about the fb but I'm assuming he goes on that a lot as well. Would it be really weird if I contacted him out of the blue on facebook or twitter and asked about it? Or is there any other way I should try contacting him? Like calling his department at my school and seeing if he's still there or not. What would be best?

Re: LOR recommender not responding...

Postby kulshan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Wait another week and send him another email. If he still doesn't respond, send him a FB message.

If you can, though, try to find a real professor. It's good that he's got the PhD in hand now, but he may or may not have a job at another university. I'm getting a PhD at a large state school and I would not write a law school recommendation for any of my students, even the best among them, just for their own good. I can't imagine a letter from a grad student carrying much weight, but I guess if it's a really good letter maybe it's okay. Good luck!

Re: LOR recommender not responding...

Postby UNLV09 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:51 pm

I've had professors take two weeks to respond to me before. Wait a week more. Plus, it's summer isn't? Don't most professors travel or something?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”