Recycling Letters of Recommendation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DC_Patent_Law

Recycling Letters of Recommendation

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi All,

I'm in the process of collecting LORs. If I don't end up applying this cycle (or if I have to apply again next cycle), can I re-use the LORs next year or do I have to get new ones?

Also, I just heard back from a professor I haven't seen in 7 years (I've been out of college for a while). Is it good etiquette to ask him out to lunch (I don't want him to think I'm bribing him with a free lunch LOL).

- DCPL

kaiser

Re: Recycling Letters of Recommendation

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:27 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Hi All,

I'm in the process of collecting LORs. If I don't end up applying this cycle (or if I have to apply again next cycle), can I re-use the LORs next year or do I have to get new ones?

Also, I just heard back from a professor I haven't seen in 7 years (I've been out of college for a while). Is it good etiquette to ask him out to lunch (I don't want him to think I'm bribing him with a free lunch LOL).

- DCPL

Yes, once you send then to LSAC, they are saved there for awhile, and you can use them next year.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 pm

I reapplied with the exact same LOR's and none of the schools cared. Only one even mentioned it (Penn). They told me they would prefer a new one, I told them I didn't have a new one, and they said that was fine.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks Kaiser!

Also, how many LORs is overkill? Here's my strategy:

1. I've been out of school for 7 years, so I'm going to get 1 LOR from a professor.
2. I've been working in patent law doing prosecution work ever since so I'm going to get 3-4 from my supervisors (and choose the top 2 to send in).
3. I founded and was the president of a diversity based organization during undergrad. I'll get a recommendation from their student advisor and use it with my diversity statement.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 pm

bk1 wrote:I reapplied with the exact same LOR's and none of the schools cared. Only one even mentioned it (Penn). They told me they would prefer a new one, I told them I didn't have a new one, and they said that was fine.

Thanks bk1. Btw, what did you guys do to re-initiate contact with professors? Go meet them, call them or take them out to lunch?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:39 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Thanks bk1. Btw, what did you guys do to re-initiate contact with professors? Go meet them, call them or take them out to lunch?

I got mine while I was in school so I don't have a clue what the best way is. If you haven't talked to the person in a while, I'd probably do email (one that explains the situation and says that you would like to meet them about it) because it doesn't put the person on the spot like a phone call would and allows them to think about it before responding.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:50 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Thanks Kaiser!

Also, how many LORs is overkill? Here's my strategy:

1. I've been out of school for 7 years, so I'm going to get 1 LOR from a professor.
2. I've been working in patent law doing prosecution work ever since so I'm going to get 3-4 from my supervisors (and choose the top 2 to send in).
3. I founded and was the president of a diversity based organization during undergrad. I'll get a recommendation from their student advisor and use it with my diversity statement.

Well I count 5-6 above, so that's definitely overkill. Why burden 3-4 of your supervisors if you're not even going to use their letters? I think it's rude to waste their time otherwise. Just find one or two of the supervisors that you know best/that will write you a good letter, and then ask them.

And I think admissions would definitely prefer #1 over #3. Submitting #3 as an LOR seems kinda pointless (assuming that you didn't take a class with that person/they can't speak for your academic potential)

My advice is go with #1, and 1 or 2 of the supervisors mentioned in #2.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Moxie wrote: And I think admissions would definitely prefer #1 over #3. Submitting #3 as an LOR seems kinda pointless (assuming that you didn't take a class with that person/they can't speak for your academic potential)

My advice is go with #1, and 1 or 2 of the supervisors mentioned in #2.

Well, the reason is that some people don't know how to write a good recommendation. Also, another associate said that my immediate supervisors might not want me to go to law school (because I might quit the firm to go to law school full time) so it is not be in their best interest to write me a good one.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:00 pm

I would never send more than 3 or 4 LOR at most. Beyond 4 and it becomes overkill. Check with the schools because some have limits.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:57 pm

kaiser wrote:I would never send more than 3 or 4 LOR at most. Beyond 4 and it becomes overkill. Check with the schools because some have limits.

Sweet, thanks guys.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:40 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:
bk1 wrote:I reapplied with the exact same LOR's and none of the schools cared. Only one even mentioned it (Penn). They told me they would prefer a new one, I told them I didn't have a new one, and they said that was fine.

Thanks bk1. Btw, what did you guys do to re-initiate contact with professors? Go meet them, call them or take them out to lunch?

Send an e-mail to re-initiate contact, but use that e-mail to set up a meeting (if at all possible). It's a lot easier to get a read on the professor and leave a great impression in person than on the phone/in an e-mail.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”