How true is Diversity in the Class when admitting students?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jusdel1

How true is Diversity in the Class when admitting students?

Postby jusdel1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:33 pm

I read on all these class profiles at T-14 and T-25 schools saying that although they have strong numbers they are more than just their GPA and LSAT. As a result, they admit students that can contribute to diversity. Besides racial compositions they include things like work experience, accomplishments, advanced degrees, activities, leadership and e.t.c. I really want to know when things like these are actually taken into consideration in the admission process.

I understand that if you're above the 75% medians for both LSAT and GPA your chances of getting into whatever law school is really good. I'm not sure about T-25 schools though because all this emphasis on diversity on their websites.

Also I wanted to know what I would need on my LSAT to get into a T-25 and T-14 law school when I take it in October. I have an LSAC GPA of 4.03 and I don't think it will drop no lower than a 3.9 by the time I graduate from my top public university. FYI, I will be a junior in the fall and plan to go to law school straight out of undergrad. The stuff below is what I think I can add to diversity.

I'm 75% Filipino and about a quarter Spanish, thus not a URM.

I speak four languages. English, Spanish, Illocano (Intermediate, but could become completely conversational the next time I visit the Philippines), and Korean (I'm learning in college).

Studying abroad in Spain 2nd semester

I have two internships so far.

One significant leadership position in Paraguay where I was a Community Development/Public Health Volunteer for two months.

Double major in Political Science and Spanish. I'm hoping Spanish would be a diversity major

JD2014

Re: How true is Diversity in the Class when admitting students?

Postby JD2014 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Horchata

Re: How true is Diversity in the Class when admitting students?

Postby Horchata » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:58 am

jusdel1 wrote:
I understand that if you're above the 75% medians for both LSAT and GPA your chances of getting into whatever law school is really good. I'm not sure about T-25 schools though because all this emphasis on diversity on their websites.

Yeah, you won't get in even if you're above both medians because you aren't diverse enough :roll: Come on dude.

The diversity factor only helps, but is not required, for admission into top law schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”