How do law schools rank their part timers? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BobbyDigital

New

How do law schools rank their part timers?

Post by BobbyDigital » Mon May 09, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm considering part time, but I'd like to keep my options open to possibly either 1) transferring schools (to a full time program), or 2) switching to full time at the same school.

Part time students do get ranked with the rest of the class right? Both scenarios above would require good grades, so I'm wondering how the class ranking would play out.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: How do law schools rank their part timers?

Post by tourdeforcex » Mon May 09, 2011 11:37 pm

depends on school but for the schools that i visited, they rank along w/ the rest of the class

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Mon May 09, 2011 11:47 pm

You are ranked against the other part-time students, something i noticed however (at least one chicago T2) is that school have a lower median for their part-time students than for their full-time students making part-time students gpa's look lower compared to their full time classmates

BobbyDigital

New

Post by BobbyDigital » Tue May 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Got it, thanks!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed May 11, 2011 12:33 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:I'm considering part time, but I'd like to keep my options open to possibly either 1) transferring schools (to a full time program), or 2) switching to full time at the same school.

Part time students do get ranked with the rest of the class right? Both scenarios above would require good grades, so I'm wondering how the class ranking would play out.
I tried to look into this last year and found no definitive answer, but most things I found pointed to NOT being able to transfer from PT to FT at any school other than the one you are attending. Most PT programs do offer the opportunity to transfer to FT within the same school though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”