Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
wamanda
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby wamanda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Just to put that out there, I have already read this: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373
I am looking for more situation-specific advice.

Hey everybody,

I was just offered a 75K scholarship from BU, which I am super excited about. However, with their less-than-amazing LRAP and my unwavering interest in PI, I would like to negotiate that up a bit, if I can. (Also, I should mention that I am not scoffing at BU's current offer. It is very, very generous, and I am happy for it. I am just super debt-averse, and want to get the best I can.)

The only real leverage I have is a 60K scholarship at UCLA, which I had already mentioned to them before I got the 75K offer. Other things I could possibly use are the fact that UCLA's tuition is slightly cheaper (I am a CA resident), my family is in LA, so I could potentially face a lower COL by going there. Would any of these reasons be convincing? Also, I have time leverage, since UCLA's deposit deadline is in two days. :shock:

I already tried to use BU's offer to leverage UCLA, but they aren't budging so far.

Other than that, I am wondering if I should maybe retake the LSAT in June to use as leverage (I got a 168, but I know I totally underperformed). Also, I am on several T14 waitlists. If one were to accept me some time this summer, what are the chances I could use that to leverage BU?

I also haven't gotten financial aid info from them, but I am hoping that it might be generous. I am pretty low-income ($10K-ish), but I am 22, so I don't know if they assume my parents are helping (they are not...). Anyone have any expertise in this area? What is a typical grant offer with that low of an income, and does merit aid affect my eligibility much?

Any advice or strategies are welcome. Thanks!!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:52 pm

No idea about the grant issue, but if BU saw that you have a significantly lower COA at a higher ranked school then they might throw something at you. A T14 acceptance, especially with decent money, will possibly do the same. Email BU a copy of the scholarship offer and explain your situation and total costs for the two schools and they may help you out.

tranandy
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby tranandy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 pm

IMO, if you are in-state, your family is in LA and UCLA is potentially cheaper overall, UCLA is the better choice even if BU offered a full scholarship. UCLA has a much more renowned PI program and it sounds like it has a better LRAP.

You'll save a lot by staying close to home such as not having three years of coast-to-coast flights, lower moving costs, and having your parents treat you to some free meals on occasion. The savings will add up and when you graduate, your job prospects will be better from UCLA whether you decide to do PI or go after Biglaw.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby gothamm » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:26 pm

tranandy wrote:IMO, if you are in-state, your family is in LA and UCLA is potentially cheaper overall, UCLA is the better choice even if BU offered a full scholarship. UCLA has a much more renowned PI program and it sounds like it has a better LRAP.

You'll save a lot by staying close to home such as not having three years of coast-to-coast flights, lower moving costs, and having your parents treat you to some free meals on occasion. The savings will add up and when you graduate, your job prospects will be better from UCLA whether you decide to do PI or go after Biglaw.


+1

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby tooswolle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 pm

The way you talked about your dilemma it seems like UCLA is by far your best best. Instate tuition + your aid and living in the relative area make it more cost effective. More importantly UCLA will open up alot of doors which would allow you to follow pi. That being said a significant raise by BU might help but if UCLA doesn't look at it as a peer school it wouldn't help much. Best of luck

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:46 am

Yeah, I don't see many scenarios in which BU is TCR

User avatar
wamanda
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby wamanda » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:08 am

Sorry, I should have explained more. The whole family, lower COL spiel is just a bargaining tactic I was thinking of. In reality, I love UCLA as a school, but hate LA (I am one of those LA people who immediately and happily deflected to SF) and am definitely not looking to move back in with my parents. I just figured it would make for a decent COL difference argument. On the contrary, I have actually been wanting to move to Boston for a while. I just feel like BU can probably do a bit better than this initial offer.

The problem is, I have already sent them my UCLA offer, so I am not sure how to respond and offer anything new. I did not mention any of the COL stuff yet though. Not sure if it is a good idea.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:57 am

It's not like they'll retract their initial offer. If you think it legitimately helps your chances of getting more $, it might be worth the awkward email exchange

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:01 am

I got 10k more in a similar position. But I had 105k at GW.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], TrynaLaw and 4 guests