Transfer Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawStudent222

Transfer Question

Postby LawStudent222 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:46 pm

I was recently accepted to a tier 4 school that has a Proficient, Not Proficient, Fail grading system for its first year students. Further, they do not release their class rank until after the second year begins, and GPA is only given out after the 3rd semester of school.

From my personal research, many law schools require a GPA and/or class rank in order to transfer in. I was wondering if there are any schools out there that would be willing to accept a transfer student from a school with this type of grading system.

I have not been able to find the answer to this question on previous posts on this forum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

CanadianWolf

Re: Transfer Question

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:48 pm

This is a scheme designed specifically to thwart transfer attempts.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm honestly not sure of the answer to your question, but I think that any school that would let you transfer into it under those conditions would not be an 'upgrade', so to speak.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Dude, don't go to that TTTT school. Retake LSAT or find a 'better' TTTT. But also definitely don't count on transferring up if you do go to a TTTT.

superhands

Postby superhands » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 pm

In my opinion, enrolling in a school with the intent to transfer out after a year is a poor decision. OP, you should retake and see how you do next cycle.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Some schools don't release class rank info on their students, but if they were to transfer, the school would generate a report for that purpose. It's possible this school does some additional grading beyond pass/fail, but look it up on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

enrolling in a school with the intent to transfer out after a year is a poor decision.

Unfortunately, this is true. Your entire grade rests on one test. What if you get the flu the day before? Going to school with the intent to transfer is Russian roulette. Maybe you get an empty chamber, but there are a lot of bullets in that gun.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”