1L at Baylor hellhole - what to do now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
huskylives

1L at Baylor hellhole - what to do now?

Postby huskylives » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 am

(deleted)
Last edited by huskylives on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RockyIII

Re: 1L at Baylor hellhole - what to do now?

Postby RockyIII » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:12 am

Edit: I was wrong.
Last edited by RockyIII on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

huskylives

Postby huskylives » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:20 am

I don't care about staying in Texas. I would literally go anywhere, which is why I wonder if there's any place that would be able to help me out financially. I wouldn't even mind transferring to a LOWER-ranked school.

The benefit of Baylor is I will have very little debt after my first year (under $10k COL) so it wouldn't hurt me financially to apply somewhere else. The drawback is of course taking classes over but on the other hand I can't imagine them ever being as difficult as they were the first time around at Baylor. I suppose I could use 1L 2.0 as time to catch up on the sleep Baylor has cost me.

I am just so disappointed with everything here. Faculty more interested in hazing than helping you. A quarter system that leaves you with no down time between quarters and necessitated out of a mandatory, uber-intense third-year trial advocacy program that I have no interest in. A ridiculous grading curve. All capped off by the biggest inferiority complex I've ever seen before at an institution, which they try to make up for by just pretending they're Texas law's best-kept secret. Seriously, this place is a joke.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 am

Baylor = hard work for shitty job prospects. You'd have to be a Masochist to want to stay there.

OP, given the reputation of Baylor's tough grading scale, have you checked to see if top 20% is enough to transfer to UT Austin?

In-state sticker for just 2 years at UT isn't that bad (In-state tuition sticker is only $29K per year = a half ride at most top law schools).

huskylives

Postby huskylives » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:39 am

Unfortunately, I'm an out-of-stater, so I wouldn't get in-state tuition -- otherwise, that would be pretty sweet. Out of state is $45k, meaning the cost of transferring would be almost an additional $100k for 2 years, which I couldn't bring myself to do. Also, I looked at transferring to UT and they want you to have a really good reason for transferring -- and my only argument is my whining about how bad Baylor is.
Last edited by huskylives on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:03 am

huskylives wrote:Unfortunately, I'm from New York, so I don't think I'd get in-state tuition -- otherwise, that would be pretty sweet. Out of state is $45k, meaning the cost of transferring would be almost an additional $100k for 2 years, which I couldn't bring myself to do. Also, I looked at transferring to UT and they want you to have a really good reason for transferring -- and my only argument is my whining about how bad Baylor is.

Why would you go to Baylor from New York? (in-state TX resident here). I thought the rule was "go in the top 14 or go to the top school in your state."

Anyway, not being in-state makes it tougher. I guess try to transfer up somewhere out east. If that doesn't work, drop out.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 am

You got a free year. If you really want out, there are worse things than paying two years of sticker.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 am

RockyIII wrote:Do you want to stay in Texas? If you didn't accumulate that much debt, I guess it wouldn't be that bad to take a year off and apply again as a 0L. Most apps I have seen specifically ask if you have ever been to law school before, and then ask if you are still eligible to return. Since you are leaving by choice, I doubt this would look bad to other schools, you would just have to write an addendum for it.

Just keep in mind that you will probably have to repeat your 1L year at whatever school you do this at. Your other options might be to transfer to another T2 (Houston, SMU?) But like you said, you probably won't get any money.

Unless I am mistaken, once you take your first exam in law school, you have to wait 5 years before you can re-enter law school as a 0L. Luckily for OP, he/she is in the top 20%, which should be good for U of Houston.

OP - transfer to U of Houston. It's relatively cheap at sticker, as opposed to private schools and U of Texas. Also, I'm not certain if top 20% is enough from Baylor to get U of Texas anyway.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:44 am

Post in forum for law students, you'll get more/better responses.

I definitely think you should transfer, but I would not suggest transferring to a lower ranked school, even if they will give you a little aid. As you mentioned, most schools don't give scholarships to transfer students, and my initial thought is that if a school IS willing to do that, it probably isn't worth going to (I will admit I'm not familiar with which schools, if any, would do this, so you should still ask around to find out, because you never know).

You need to narrow it down where you want to work. Just because Baylor sucks doesn't mean you really will go ANYWHERE (even if anywhere would be better). SMU would be a solid choice and you would probably have a good shot there, as well as most schools in the 25/30-50 range. Above that it may be a bit tougher, but just keep in mind you really shouldn't lateral or go backwards, especially since you would be giving up money to do so.

I don't think that retaking the LSAT would make much sense. If you are looking to go somewhere else next year, you will be transferring and the decision on whether to admit you or not will be based on your first-year grades. LSAT is a predictor of law schools grades. Once you have law school grades, the LSAT doesn't mean much anymore.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:21 am

Is it the living in Waco, the students, the academics, something else, or a combo of all of it that makes Baylor so miserable?

teleste

Postby teleste » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:28 am

Oh my.
Last edited by teleste on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:44 am

Wow. Kinda glad I got dinged from them this year 8) .
You could make a lateral transfer to SMU or U of H.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RockyIII wrote:Do you want to stay in Texas? If you didn't accumulate that much debt, I guess it wouldn't be that bad to take a year off and apply again as a 0L. Most apps I have seen specifically ask if you have ever been to law school before, and then ask if you are still eligible to return. Since you are leaving by choice, I doubt this would look bad to other schools, you would just have to write an addendum for it.

Just keep in mind that you will probably have to repeat your 1L year at whatever school you do this at. Your other options might be to transfer to another T2 (Houston, SMU?) But like you said, you probably won't get any money.

Unless I am mistaken, once you take your first exam in law school, you have to wait 5 years before you can re-enter law school as a 0L. Luckily for OP, he/she is in the top 20%, which should be good for U of Houston.

OP - transfer to U of Houston. It's relatively cheap at sticker, as opposed to private schools and U of Texas. Also, I'm not certain if top 20% is enough from Baylor to get U of Texas anyway.

It may not be, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't apply. Top 20% is respectable, and I'm sure he could crack at least a T1 school. Isn't OP from NY? Maybe he can go to a school in a region that makes more sense-sounds like this was a mistake. If OP wants Texas Houston would make sense, but this is his one chance to transfer, to aim high...

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:33 pm

I think OP can do better than Houston with top 20% Baylor.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:39 pm

General Tso wrote:I think OP can do better than Houston with top 20% Baylor.

It's a cliche, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Unless you're a superstar it's far from a guarantee of a Top 14, but you can transfer up to a school with better regional power. And if you're location-elastic, you can transfer up to the school that gives you the greatest job prospects in absolute terms. You moved from NY to Texas for Baylor, so it sure sounds like you're location-elastic.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:41 pm

I agree with General Tao, but Houston is well respected in that area of Texas and should be considered by the OP if remaining in Texas is OP's goal.

P.S. Is it Baylor or Waco that is "that bad" ? Or is it the combination ?

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I agree with General Tao, but Houston is well respected in that area of Texas and should be considered by the OP if remaining in Texas is OP's goal.

P.S. Is it Baylor or Waco that is "that bad" ? Or is it the combination ?

I just think the Waco location adds an awful ironic layer to his misery. Kind of like how my assigned password for one of my status checkers was GLOOM542

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:07 pm

I've read that Baylor has a workload unlike most other schools. In fact IIRC, the 3L year has been called the most intensive year. Combine that with the location (Waco isn't the most desirable place) plus the fact that UT and arguably, SMU-U of H are going to get better job opportunities, I don't blame OP.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:27 pm

I don't see how a full ride and top 20% at Baylor would make sense to transfer to any Texas school not UT. However UT is historically difficult to transfer to so that may be a problem. If you can move up your rank this semester, that would obviously help significantly.

The problem is going to be money. I would bet you can get into WUSTL but sticker is expensive. I know Fordham is tough for transfers but maybe you have a shot there, if you are interested in moving back to NY.

Use your motivation and hatred fro Waco/Baylor to kill 2nd semester and get the grades to go somewhere great.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Why is transferring going to change anything? What is it that makes it hell?

huskylives

Postby huskylives » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:44 pm

I actually don't care at all about the Waco -- that doesn't bother me. I'm a small-town guy. The students are also surprisingly great and not really that competitive like is often rumored. The problem is the professors, honestly. Like I said, they genuinely care more about hazing the students than helping them. They are arrogant and surprisingly unprofessional. I have friends in the third year "practice court" program talked about and it's a freaking nightmare. Double classes, hundreds of pages to read each night, and if you're called on and don't know the answer, you get assigned a memo for the next day on top of readings. I mean really. This while other 3rd year students who I'm competing for for jobs at other schools are taking it easy and working on getting employed.

Baylor was the best offer I received from a top 100 school. Unfortunately I didn't get many great offers in the top 50. Also unfortunately, all the regional schools for me were pretty low-ranked, and the job market was very poor around there, and much better in Texas, so relocating seemed smart. One of the regional schools I applied to dropped out of the top 100 last year and the other just squeezed into it. So it seemed better to do top 100 than not.

I do know that I won't have to pay back the scholarship if I drop out -- that much I made sure of at any rate.

I really appreciate all the input, everyone. I'm putting myself in an early grave here. My mental health is at an all-time low.
Last edited by huskylives on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:36 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Why is transferring going to change anything? What is it that makes it hell?

from what OP is saying, Baylor sounds way worse than Hastings. and Hastings is bad...I've been on the verge of a mental breakdown on more than one occasion.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:46 pm

how on EARTH can you hate a school that produces THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAq0OevRjBY

EDIT: BLUE IS THEIR COLOR AND BLUE IS THEIR OTHER COLOR. FYI. AWESOME.

EDIT 2: The dance at 2:55. HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THAT.

renee88

Postby renee88 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:40 pm

It seems like every time I start to lean towards Baylor, something else makes me seriously question going there.

This time it took two hits...the OP's story and that video.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Can you take a year off in order to establish texas residency and then apply to UT for your last two years?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”