Thomas Jefferson School of Law vs. Western State

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rman1201

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law vs. Western State

Postby rman1201 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:51 am

FAR262 wrote:
ibrahim831 wrote:I was just looking for something like TSJL is better then western or Western is better than thomas jefferson. Or maybe a synopsis on both schools strengths and weaknesses or maybe you should press to get off the wait list... I think i am going to go jump off a building now... JK

Western is considered slightly better I believe so I would go with this option. But don't base your decision on the bar passage rate. If when you start studying for the bar you are having trouble take class on it right after you graduate LS. But a good LS should be spending its time teaching you to think like a lawyer not teaching you the bar exam getting you a job.

I'm sure even Thomas Jefferson can teach you to 'think like a lawyer', its jobs that matter.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:17 pm

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... t-rankings

TJSL has the nation's highest level of indebtedness. They rob the student's blind.

http://www.10news.com/news/26515555/detail.html

All of the money they rob from you will go to pay for a fancy campus that in no way benefits you. You think they'll be using that money to help you find a job? Wrong. "It is designed to facilitate interactions between everyone on campus in a comfortable, collaborative setting. That is the key to success in law school." According to them, comfort is the key to success in law school, lol. Too bad none of the students can get jobs and they all graduate with a huge pile of debt that CANNOT BE DISCHARGED.

Going to TJSL is the worst decision you will ever make in your life. The administration is unethical and deceptive and bent on taking your money and giving you no real prospects in return. Going to TJSL to find a better job is a really out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire solution to your problems. Man, seriously, please be a troll. Please don't tell me you're real.

MBC1989

Postby MBC1989 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:36 pm

robotclubmember wrote:http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/grad-debt-rankings

TJSL has the nation's highest level of indebtedness. They rob the student's blind.

All of the money they rob from you will go to pay for a fancy campus that in no way benefits you. You think they'll be using that money to help you find a job? Wrong. "It is designed to facilitate interactions between everyone on campus in a comfortable, collaborative setting. That is the key to success in law school." According to them, comfort is the key to success in law school, lol. Too bad none of the students can get jobs and they all graduate with a huge pile of debt that CANNOT BE DISCHARGED.

Going to TJSL is the worst decision you will ever make in your life. The administration is unethical and deceptive and bent on taking your money and giving you no real prospects in return. Going to TJSL to find a better job is a really out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire solution to your problems. Man, seriously, please be a troll. Please don't tell me you're real.

This is a very stupid, ignorant post. Robbing them? I'm sure they actually try to get them a job, but they have a rough time because they're a TTT. Give the school a break. I'm sure some well educated people come out of there, too.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:39 pm

MBC1989 wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/grad-debt-rankings

This is a very stupid, ignorant post. Robbing them? I'm sure they actually try to get them a job, but they have a rough time because they're a TTT. Give the school a break. I'm sure some well educated people come out of there, too.

You can't eat an education.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:40 pm

MBC1989 wrote:

This is a very stupid, ignorant post. Charging that much knowing they won't be able to deliver is robbing the students. They can close, or charge a lot less and be open about employment prospects - these are the only options for the school to actually maintain any semblance of integrity.

MBC1989

Postby MBC1989 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:43 pm

rman1201 wrote:
MBC1989 wrote:

This is a very stupid, ignorant post. Charging that much knowing they won't be able to deliver is robbing the students. They can close, or charge a lot less and be open about employment prospects - these are the only options for the school to actually maintain any semblance of integrity.

Students willingly pay to go there. If I willingly give someone something, it sounds pretty stupid to say they are robbing me.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:45 pm

MBC1989 wrote:
Students willingly pay to go there. If I willingly give someone something, it sounds pretty stupid to say they are robbing me.

I think it's safe to assume the school isn't literally robbing anyone, but close enough. It is the students' faults for failing to adequately research the school before putting down a six figure investment, but you can't just put 100% of the blame on the ignorant victims.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:47 pm

rman1201 wrote:
MBC1989 wrote:

I think it's safe to assume the school isn't literally robbing anyone, but close enough. It is the students' faults for failing to adequately research the school before putting down a six figure investment, but you can't just put 100% of the blame on the ignorant victims.

Especially when inflated employment numbers show shy high starting salaries and employment rates.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:28 pm

MBC1989 wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
MBC1989 wrote:

The students rely on fair and accurate employment data in their decision-making process, which TJSL blatantly obfuscates and misrepresents. If their post-employment prospects were truly as bright as the school purports, then there wouldn't be an issue. The amount they charge is also absurd. You could go to a higher-ranked state school for less than $15K/year in many cases. The new campus is just another part of this charade. They are far more interested in selling you an education than giving you one. Comfort is not the only thing that determines law school success.

Anyway, the students may consent to giving their money to that school, but I'd hardly call it "informed" consent. They are misled by gamed employment data and this bullshit new campus.

youarereadingthis

Postby youarereadingthis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:33 pm

To the original poster... I know it seems like TLS people are pretty harsh but they're really trying to do you a favor.

Don't go to either.

DubPoker

Thomas Jefferson School of Law

Postby DubPoker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:44 pm

atashakor wrote:TJ is a crapy school, but attend if they give you $$$, they are in alot of debt because of their 140 million dollar building. [its very nice, there is doorman with a suit opening the door, all kinds of technology, but they are in debt,]
im not sure about western, i believe they have high attrition rate.

AND NEVER GO WITH THE MINDSET THAT YOU CAN TRANSFER.

I wanted to see a picture of the law building out of curiousity. So I searched "Thomas Jefferson School of Law" in google images. I was treated to a picture of a turd on the first page lol

http://www.google.com/images?q=Thomas+J ... ool+of+Law

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Images that come up when you type in Thomas Jefferson School of Law into google image search:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Seems professional and well respected. Enjoy!

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Images that come up when you type in Thomas Jefferson School of Law into google image search:

--ImageRemoved--

Seems professional and well respected. Enjoy!

The last image takes it from a TTTT -> TTT

FAR262

Postby FAR262 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:36 pm

rman1201 wrote:
FAR262 wrote:
ibrahim831 wrote:I was just looking for something like TSJL is better then western or Western is better than thomas jefferson. Or maybe a synopsis on both schools strengths and weaknesses or maybe you should press to get off the wait list... I think i am going to go jump off a building now... JK

Western is considered slightly better I believe so I would go with this option. But don't base your decision on the bar passage rate. If when you start studying for the bar you are having trouble take class on it right after you graduate LS. But a good LS should be spending its time teaching you to think like a lawyer not teaching you the bar exam getting you a job.

I'm sure even Thomas Jefferson can teach you to 'think like a lawyer', its jobs that matter.

I'm pretty sure being able to think like a lawyer is q necessary prereq for getting a job. And I wouldn't be so sure.

FAR262

Postby FAR262 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:41 pm

And don't forget this article as well, probably the most press TJ ever got:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

Craplicant150

Postby Craplicant150 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:19 am

To the OP

Don't listen to these pretentious idiots. They are just annoyed that there are law schools out there that allow "non harvard types" to attend.

There are plenty of successful lawyers from Cooley, TJ, Cal Western etc. Graduates who pass the bar from those schools are lawyers and often have successful careers. There truly is little difference between a school that would let you in with a 155 or Jefferson. If you score a 165+ and have a 3.5 etc you can probably get into a T14 school, but there are 200 ABA schools and only 14 T14 schools. Very and let me repeat the word Very few students get into these schools. The vast majority of lawyers went to a tier 3,4 school. The majority of judges went to a tier 2,3,4 school. Obviously not at the Supreme Court level, but almost any lawyer you meet will not have attended Harvard, Yale, or Berkeley. An employer is not going to be that impressed that you went to a tier 3 school opposed to a tier 4 school. They will care about your performance at the school, but I find it very unlikely any employer in Washington State for example throwing out a Gonzaga students resume and begging someone from University of Seattle to work for them. They are essentially equal schools. Seattle might be the 85th best school I think. Gonzaga is tier 3 I believe. U.S. News ranking is highly inconsistent and if you look back even 3 years you will see schools have huge raises and freefalls. Right now there is a 13 way tie for 93rd place. Look at the formula and you will see it is an absolute joke that really cannot be properly measured outside the top 25 or so schools.

Moreover please leave this website. The people here are not reputable sources, and should not have any influence on your decisions.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:21 am

Craplicant150 wrote:To the OP

Don't listen to these pretentious idiots. They are just annoyed that there are law schools out there that allow "non harvard types" to attend.

There are plenty of successful lawyers from Cooley, TJ, Cal Western etc. Graduates who pass the bar from those schools are lawyers and often have successful careers. There truly is little difference between a school that would let you in with a 155 or Jefferson. If you score a 165+ and have a 3.5 etc you can probably get into a T14 school, but there are 200 ABA schools and only 14 T14 schools. Very and let me repeat the word Very few students get into these schools. The vast majority of lawyers went to a tier 3,4 school. The majority of judges went to a tier 2,3,4 school. Obviously not at the Supreme Court level, but almost any lawyer you meet will not have attended Harvard, Yale, or Berkeley. An employer is not going to be that impressed that you went to a tier 3 school opposed to a tier 4 school. They will care about your performance at the school, but I find it very unlikely any employer in Washington State for example throwing out a Gonzaga students resume and begging someone from University of Seattle to work for them. They are essentially equal schools. Seattle might be the 85th best school I think. Gonzaga is tier 3 I believe. U.S. News ranking is highly inconsistent and if you look back even 3 years you will see schools have huge raises and freefalls. Right now there is a 13 way tie for 93rd place. Look at the formula and you will see it is an absolute joke that really cannot be properly measured outside the top 25 or so schools.

Moreover please leave this website. The people here are not reputable sources, and should not have any influence on your decisions.
I'm a troll who created this alt solely for the purpose of non-believable trolling

ftfy.

Craplicant150

Postby Craplicant150 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:23 am

rman1201 wrote:

I'm a troll who created this alt solely for the purpose of non-believable trolling

ftfy.

Retard

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:49 am

I think the real thing about TJSL is how much debt they leave with their graduates. That school should NOT leave 95% of its students with $130K debt. The school is a really bad value. Every single higher ranked school in the country leaves their students with less debt. That's why it's a rip-off.

And 165/3.5 would not get you into T14 unless you saved a burning orphanage or you're a URM.

Craplicant150

Postby Craplicant150 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:27 am

robotclubmember wrote:I think the real thing about TJSL is how much debt they leave with their graduates. That school should NOT leave 95% of its students with $130K debt. The school is a really bad value. Every single higher ranked school in the country leaves their students with less debt. That's why it's a rip-off.

And 165/3.5 would not get you into T14 unless you saved a burning orphanage or you're a URM.

That's besides the point...

School's maintain ABA accrediation by bar passing percentage rate. Once you pass tha bar, you can have a successful career as an attorney.

Yes, if you go to a T4 school it can be difficult to find employment, but in this economy it is difficult to find employment in general. If the OP really wants to be a lawyer bad enough, he can.

Also plenty of people transfer.... Don't know where you guys are pulling that out of your asses.

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:37 am

True story:

Two years ago I was accepted at Western State with a full ride scholly. I facebooked everyone that I could find that went there, and they all wrote me detailed descriptions of their experiences. Most didn't like it. They explained that they fail 1/3 of the class during the first year, with the intention of raising the bar passage rate by graduation. And every single person that I spoke to said that they had their scholarship revoked because of an insane curve that they set.

Instead, I went to a T2 for sticker. I rocked it at my T2, and I transferred. Now I'm at a T10.

But basically what I'm saying is that if you can go to a T2 for sticker, go there instead. If not, I would try to talk to as many of the students at the school as you can to get an honest opinion. I tried to get the information about the curve and the fail rate for 1Ls from the administration, and they refused to give it to me. The students are the best source for this information.

As a side note, I know two Thomas Jefferson students who transferred after 1L to my T10. But the odds of doing that are very unlikely...

molawn

Postby molawn » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:04 am

romothesavior wrote:You'd be better off taking that 40k down to the casino and putting it all on black than you would going to any law school

Fixed.

Almost everyone in law school, applying, graduated, practicing should be considering a career change. So I don't think you're making much of a point. If law school requires you to finish at the top of your class anyway, at least to have a fighting chance at paying back law school loans, it's absurd to say that transferring is not a good idea because it is unlikely the applicant will be in the top. If you're screwed from the beginning, it's silly to suggest there is a better fourth tier choice.

The only solution to OP's query is to abandon law school, retake the lsat or transfer. Retaking the LSAT and obtaining a significantly higher score is as statistically abysmal as transferring. And with that GPA, it had better be great. On the other hand, a well planned transfer can at least give the player more control because he can choose his competition.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 am

molawn wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You'd be better off taking that 40k down to the casino and putting it all on black than you would going to any law school

Fixed.

Almost everyone in law school, applying, graduated, practicing should be considering a career change. So I don't think you're making much of a point. If law school requires you to finish at the top of your class anyway, at least to have a fighting chance at paying back law school loans, it's absurd to say that transferring is not a good idea because it is unlikely the applicant will be in the top. If you're screwed from the beginning, it's silly to suggest there is a better fourth tier choice.

The only solution to OP's query is to abandon law school, retake the lsat or transfer. Retaking the LSAT and obtaining a significantly higher score is as statistically abysmal as transferring. And with that GPA, it had better be great. On the other hand, a well planned transfer can at least give the player more control because he can choose his competition.

You don't really know what you are talking about do you?

You would NOT be better off betting all your money at a casino than you would going to Harvard. Or even a respectable T2. Your "fixed" statement equates TJSL to Harvard. This is an egregious logic error which exposes you as a fool. If you go to a respectable law school you are not required to be at the top of your class though it is certainly advantageous.

I don't think you understand what is really wrong with TJSL. They are a terrible value as far as law schools go. They cripple their students with unmanageable debt at a level that no other school in the nation does. And almost every other school in the nation leaves you with better career prospects. TJSL is a huge risk because even one year there leaves you $40K+ in the hole, and they don't give out financial aid. A school of such low quality shouldn't be able to do that with a straight face. So what is it about TJSL that makes it more expensive than Harvard, than anywhere else? Is it the high quality legal education? The job prospects? I have no clue. I imagine the campus has a lot to do with it, lol. If the plan is to transfer, OP should go to the cheapest school he can. Not the school that leads the nation in costs to its students. THAT is EXACTLY like betting 40K at the casino. Romo was spot on. No well-planned transfer starts with the most expensive school in the country.
Last edited by robotclubmember on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:46 am

molawn wrote:

Fixed.

Your advice is possibly the worst on this Forum.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 am

There are plenty of successful lawyers from Cooley, TJ, Cal Western etc. Graduates who pass the bar from those schools are lawyers and often have successful careers.

And there are plenty of people who play slots and win. Doesn't mean it is a wise investment. I'd like to introduce you to something called "probability." The vast majority of TJLS students will graduate without a job or with a job that barely can make ends meet. I don't think any of us plan to take out six figures of law school debt so we can work as temporary contract attorneys for $25 an hour in the basement of some biglaw firm. Graduating law school doesn't make you a lawyer; practicing law does.

Also, I don't think anyone in this thread goes to Harvard or anything close to it. So GTFO of here with your faux outrage at our non-existent pretentiousness. I wouldn't even tell OP (or anyone else) to go to MY law school at sticker price, so you can damn well better believe that I won't be telling OP to go to one of the absolute worst law schools in the country (and one that barely gives out financial aid). Also, no one said a word about rankings, so WTF is that all about? It's all about jobs. I couldn't care less where TJLS is ranked.

You're right about one thing. I am annoyed that schools like TJLS exist. I am actually appalled that they exist and continue to sucker in naive students and take their money. There are TENS OF THOUSANDS more graduates every year than there are legal jobs that require a J.D., and the majority of these jobs pay shitty salaries that will make your loans cripple your financial freedom for the next 25 years. With this oversupply of lawyers, guess who is on the outside looking in? Usually the people who go to shitty law schools like Thomas Jefferson, Cooley, John Marshall, etc. How can anyone possibly justify these schools existing, or worse, how can anyone justify adding MORE law schools? You could actually close all but the top 100-150 schools and STILL have an oversupply of lawyers in this country.

Before you come babbling some ignorant nonsense, do a little homework and a little thinking.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”