Should I take a year off or go?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Should I take a year off or go?

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 pm

This is my situation: in at Syracuse at sticker...3.2/157 (I barely studied for LSAT). I'm heavily leaning towards a retake, over summer I will have five months to study. I won't have distractions. Problem is, my parents are pushing hard for me to go off to Cuse this fall...I don't want to considering cost of tuition and that had I applied earlier in the cycle I could have received some money. I know I can raise my score because I know I didn't study nearly enough for my first take. However, now my parents brought some info to my attention. One of our close family friends are both lawyers with connections in NYC. They said when it comes to it they'll hook me up with a brother-in-law who works at some big law firm in Manhattan. Personally, I'm skeptical. Who the hell would answer yes to: "Hey brother-in-law, could you help my friend's son land a summer associate gig at your firm"

I'm still leaning to taking a year off, but knowing what my parents mentioned I'm kind of second guessing myself. What should I do?

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Have you ever been to Syracuse? Makes my skin crawl.

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby mbusch22 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:48 pm

I'd take the time off and get your LSAT as high as you can. Grind it out until you can get high 160s - 170s. I wish I would have.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:51 pm

If you can score 3+ points higher on your LSAT, you would be foolish not to. Take the year off and this time take studying seriously.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:53 pm

In my opinion, you shouldn't rely on that family connection unless the family friend is a Sr. associate (8+ years). I'd take time off and retake.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:01 pm

The brother-in-law connections may not help with NYC biglaw. Syracuse is not an attractive city, but with a 3.19 GPA from notoriously easy Arizona State University & 157 LSAT and rejections from law schools such as DePaul, I am not sure that even a few more LSAT points will result in much better options for you.

Your profile shows that you applied to 26 law schools--is Syracuse your only option ? Have you heard back from all of the law schools to which you applied ?

P.S. After rereading your original post & reliving my visits to Syracuse, taking a year off & retaking the LSAT is your best option because Syracuse Law School at sticker will likely be an option next year as well.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby src42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:01 pm

No one on TLS is going to tell you not to take off a year and retake. If you have legit family connections, they will still be around if you take an extra year. Make LSAT studying your life and get a 165+.

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby seanPtheB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Honestly I mean I started studying for the lsat about a month ago, but sit down for 10 minutes and really think hard about what kind of investment studying for the lsat is. Studying your ass off is an investment everyone should make. Sacrifice one summer and do all you can with the lsat. You will never regret it.

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby aspire2more » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:26 am

src42 wrote:No one on TLS is going to tell you not to take off a year and retake. If you have legit family connections, they will still be around if you take an extra year. Make LSAT studying your life and get a 165+.


+1

If you barely studied for the LSAT the first time around, then you ought to be able to improve significantly if you actually try. Taking it without preparing was a poor choice. Going to law school without giving yourself the opportunity to correct that mistake would do you a great disservice. Definitely retake. Even if you decide you still want to go to Syracuse, you've got a much better chance of not doing it at sticker.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:29 am

Don't rely on a "brother-in-law of a close family friend." Shit, I had an uncle (through marriage, not blood) who was going to introduce me to a hiring partner after 1L year. Well, he divorced my aunt and I no longer have that to fall back on. Connections are volatile, even for family.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby ATR » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:31 am

Fuck what your parents are saying. Sticker at 'Cuse is a terrible decision ITE. Retake the LSAT in June or October and apply next cycle.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:08 am

nshapkar wrote:3.2/157 (I barely studied for LSAT)

That's all I needed to see, and I think there's your answer. Study up and retake! I don't like when TLS posters say retake, but seriously, why didn't you study in the first place? Even if you're happy with Syracuse, more points generally equal more money (unless it's HYS).

accepted10
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby accepted10 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:12 pm

You would be amazed how much merit aid you can get with a high LSAT score, without even asking for it. Definitely retake. If you scored a 157 barely studying, you could easily be above 170 after a few months of taking a class/tutoring/doing a million practice exams. Good luck!

User avatar
holdencaulfield
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby holdencaulfield » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:47 pm

accepted10 wrote:You would be amazed how much merit aid you can get with a high LSAT score, without even asking for it. Definitely retake. If you scored a 157 barely studying, you could easily be above 170 after a few months of taking a class/tutoring/doing a million practice exams. Good luck!



If you raise your score, the scholly money alone will make the year off worth your while.

User avatar
harrijust86
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby harrijust86 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

The more post like this I read the worse I feel and the more I consider sitting out this cycle and doing a retake. I had not decided to take the LSAT until the final registration day because I happened to quit my job that day. I hadn't had more than about 36 hours in a row off in 2 years and hadn't seen my father in over a year so I took a nice 2 week vacation to go see him. Didn't even know the LSAT format until 5 days before the test and was basically taking it to get a feel for it so that I could possibly take the June LSAT for next cycle. Ended up doing alright and deciding to throw in applications late this cycle. The thing is everyone keeps saying how "learnable" the test is and im thinking with a few months practice I could pull out better numbers. Not to mention the general consensus that applying late in the cycle hurts you. The real question I have at this point is how much of a difference that would make considering my abysmal GPA?

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby aspire2more » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:09 pm

harrijust86 wrote:The more post like this I read the worse I feel and the more I consider sitting out this cycle and doing a retake. I had not decided to take the LSAT until the final registration day because I happened to quit my job that day. I hadn't had more than about 36 hours in a row off in 2 years and hadn't seen my father in over a year so I took a nice 2 week vacation to go see him. Didn't even know the LSAT format until 5 days before the test and was basically taking it to get a feel for it so that I could possibly take the June LSAT for next cycle. Ended up doing alright and deciding to throw in applications late this cycle. The thing is everyone keeps saying how "learnable" the test is and im thinking with a few months practice I could pull out better numbers. Not to mention the general consensus that applying late in the cycle hurts you. The real question I have at this point is how much of a difference that would make considering my abysmal GPA?


My GPA is the same as yours (actually earned 3.2 but LSAC counts it as 3.1). I studied 3-4 hours a night after work from August 2010 to December 2010. I got a 170 on the December exam.

I have three partial tuition offers (2 T1 and 1 T4), each of which is over $30,000 a year. I also have a full-tuition scholarship to a T14 school. You should probably consider that I am a URM and have a couple of years of work experience, but basically that should give you an idea of how much of a difference a higher LSAT can do for you.

Retake.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby northwood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 pm

SYracuse at sticker is not a good idea! Retake the test and study hard! Syracuse will still be there next year, and if you do well, you should see a nice scholarship!

User avatar
harrijust86
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby harrijust86 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:50 pm

aspire2more wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:The more post like this I read the worse I feel and the more I consider sitting out this cycle and doing a retake. I had not decided to take the LSAT until the final registration day because I happened to quit my job that day. I hadn't had more than about 36 hours in a row off in 2 years and hadn't seen my father in over a year so I took a nice 2 week vacation to go see him. Didn't even know the LSAT format until 5 days before the test and was basically taking it to get a feel for it so that I could possibly take the June LSAT for next cycle. Ended up doing alright and deciding to throw in applications late this cycle. The thing is everyone keeps saying how "learnable" the test is and im thinking with a few months practice I could pull out better numbers. Not to mention the general consensus that applying late in the cycle hurts you. The real question I have at this point is how much of a difference that would make considering my abysmal GPA?


My GPA is the same as yours (actually earned 3.2 but LSAC counts it as 3.1). I studied 3-4 hours a night after work from August 2010 to December 2010. I got a 170 on the December exam.

I have three partial tuition offers (2 T1 and 1 T4), each of which is over $30,000 a year. I also have a full-tuition scholarship to a T14 school. You should probably consider that I am a URM and have a couple of years of work experience, but basically that should give you an idea of how much of a difference a higher LSAT can do for you.

Retake.


No offence, but you are a black, female, lesbian. Basically your situation isn't relatable to mine or the OP's. You're numbers are impressive by themselves but your (double) URM status puts you into another tier. Secondly, I got a 171 the first time, and im not sure how much getting say a 174-177 increases my chances at the schools I would like to attend since 171 is already above the medians. GPA kills all.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 am

harrijust86 wrote:
aspire2more wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:The more post like this I read the worse I feel and the more I consider sitting out this cycle and doing a retake. I had not decided to take the LSAT until the final registration day because I happened to quit my job that day. I hadn't had more than about 36 hours in a row off in 2 years and hadn't seen my father in over a year so I took a nice 2 week vacation to go see him. Didn't even know the LSAT format until 5 days before the test and was basically taking it to get a feel for it so that I could possibly take the June LSAT for next cycle. Ended up doing alright and deciding to throw in applications late this cycle. The thing is everyone keeps saying how "learnable" the test is and im thinking with a few months practice I could pull out better numbers. Not to mention the general consensus that applying late in the cycle hurts you. The real question I have at this point is how much of a difference that would make considering my abysmal GPA?


My GPA is the same as yours (actually earned 3.2 but LSAC counts it as 3.1). I studied 3-4 hours a night after work from August 2010 to December 2010. I got a 170 on the December exam.

I have three partial tuition offers (2 T1 and 1 T4), each of which is over $30,000 a year. I also have a full-tuition scholarship to a T14 school. You should probably consider that I am a URM and have a couple of years of work experience, but basically that should give you an idea of how much of a difference a higher LSAT can do for you.

Retake.


No offence, but you are a black, female, lesbian. Basically your situation isn't relatable to mine or the OP's. You're numbers are impressive by themselves but your (double) URM status puts you into another tier. Secondly, I got a 171 the first time, and im not sure how much getting say a 174-177 increases my chances at the schools I would like to attend since 171 is already above the medians. GPA kills all.


Let's not kid ourselves. 170/3.2 isn't impressive by TLS standards.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby nshapkar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:13 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The brother-in-law connections may not help with NYC biglaw. Syracuse is not an attractive city, but with a 3.19 GPA from notoriously easy Arizona State University & 157 LSAT and rejections from law schools such as DePaul, I am not sure that even a few more LSAT points will result in much better options for you.

Your profile shows that you applied to 26 law schools--is Syracuse your only option ? Have you heard back from all of the law schools to which you applied ?

P.S. After rereading your original post & reliving my visits to Syracuse, taking a year off & retaking the LSAT is your best option because Syracuse Law School at sticker will likely be an option next year as well.


Haven't heard from any other schools, but even if I'm accepted I will likely withdraw. GPA is what it is, I have 29 credits that will be added to it by the time I begin applying in the fall. As things stand right now 18 of those credits are A's, and the other three classes Im taking over summer are all lower division so I don't expect anything lower than A's.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby nshapkar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 pm

seanPtheB wrote:Honestly I mean I started studying for the lsat about a month ago, but sit down for 10 minutes and really think hard about what kind of investment studying for the lsat is. Studying your ass off is an investment everyone should make. Sacrifice one summer and do all you can with the lsat. You will never regret it.



I don't even consider it as sacrificing. I moved back in with my parents and all of my friends at ASU are from out of state...at the end of this semester they're all moving back to where they came from. I don't hang out with my high school friends, and don't really do anything with work colleagues. I'm going to have plenty of free time on my hands over summer. I think I'll be able to knock it out.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby nshapkar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 pm

harrijust86 wrote:The more post like this I read the worse I feel and the more I consider sitting out this cycle and doing a retake. I had not decided to take the LSAT until the final registration day because I happened to quit my job that day. I hadn't had more than about 36 hours in a row off in 2 years and hadn't seen my father in over a year so I took a nice 2 week vacation to go see him. Didn't even know the LSAT format until 5 days before the test and was basically taking it to get a feel for it so that I could possibly take the June LSAT for next cycle. Ended up doing alright and deciding to throw in applications late this cycle. The thing is everyone keeps saying how "learnable" the test is and im thinking with a few months practice I could pull out better numbers. Not to mention the general consensus that applying late in the cycle hurts you. The real question I have at this point is how much of a difference that would make considering my abysmal GPA?



You got a 171 on your first take without knowing anything about the exam? God damn.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby nshapkar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for all the input, I almost missed this entire thread because I didn't get any email notification that it was receiving hits...don't know why.


Another question, how much will having a misdemeanor on my record affect my odds at receiving scholarships?

User avatar
harrijust86
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby harrijust86 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:32 pm

nshapkar wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:The more post like this I read the worse I feel and the more I consider sitting out this cycle and doing a retake. I had not decided to take the LSAT until the final registration day because I happened to quit my job that day. I hadn't had more than about 36 hours in a row off in 2 years and hadn't seen my father in over a year so I took a nice 2 week vacation to go see him. Didn't even know the LSAT format until 5 days before the test and was basically taking it to get a feel for it so that I could possibly take the June LSAT for next cycle. Ended up doing alright and deciding to throw in applications late this cycle. The thing is everyone keeps saying how "learnable" the test is and im thinking with a few months practice I could pull out better numbers. Not to mention the general consensus that applying late in the cycle hurts you. The real question I have at this point is how much of a difference that would make considering my abysmal GPA?



You got a 171 on your first take without knowing anything about the exam? God damn.


Yea? Which is why I was considering a retake. But I got an acceptance email from GW today. First decision ive recieved, and quite satisfied with the idea of IP law at a great school. Now to wait out the rest of the cycle and hope for miracles at BC, BU, and Fordham. T14 would make me poop my pants, but i realistically have zero shot.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Should I take a year off or go?

Postby nshapkar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:43 pm

harrijust86 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:The more post like this I read the worse I feel and the more I consider sitting out this cycle and doing a retake. I had not decided to take the LSAT until the final registration day because I happened to quit my job that day. I hadn't had more than about 36 hours in a row off in 2 years and hadn't seen my father in over a year so I took a nice 2 week vacation to go see him. Didn't even know the LSAT format until 5 days before the test and was basically taking it to get a feel for it so that I could possibly take the June LSAT for next cycle. Ended up doing alright and deciding to throw in applications late this cycle. The thing is everyone keeps saying how "learnable" the test is and im thinking with a few months practice I could pull out better numbers. Not to mention the general consensus that applying late in the cycle hurts you. The real question I have at this point is how much of a difference that would make considering my abysmal GPA?



You got a 171 on your first take without knowing anything about the exam? God damn.


Yea? Which is why I was considering a retake. But I got an acceptance email from GW today. First decision ive recieved, and quite satisfied with the idea of IP law at a great school. Now to wait out the rest of the cycle and hope for miracles at BC, BU, and Fordham. T14 would make me poop my pants, but i realistically have zero shot.


From what I have read in the forums, applying at the beginning of the cycle and ED to UVA is pretty much a lock with a 170+. Just saying. However, when I was in D.C. I checked out GW, and it's in an amazing location. Oh, and if you ED to GW and are accepted it's an automatic full tuition scholarship, FWIW.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests