editing one's own evaluation at the request of the evaluator

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
winstonamc

editing one's own evaluation at the request of the evaluator

Postby winstonamc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:57 am

So, deadlines are tomorrow and my old boss hasn't turned in my evaluation. I spoke to him and apparently the only thing missing is someone (his personal assistant is out of town) editing his evaluation. He sent me the link and asked me to log in as the CFO of the company is also out of town.

Is this really shady or dangerous or what?
Very nervous about doing it and would love to hear thoughts

aspire2more

Re: editing one's own evaluation at the request of the evaluator

Postby aspire2more » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:36 am

I've heard that asking prospective students to write their own recommendation letter and submit the draft to the recommender for their edits is relatively commonplace. I've never heard of a situation where a recommender asked the student to edit their own evaluation, but it doesn't seem much different to me.

FWIW I had a potential recommender ask me to write a letter for him to edit and sign. Although it was not unethical, I decided to find someone else to do the recommendation since it made me uncomfortable. Unless you absolutely must have this evaluation to make your application complete, omit it since you are not comfortable with editing it.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:41 am

This is where forum search comes in handy. As does reading LSAC's instructions regarding recommendations/evaluations. How the hell could you "edit" your own evaluation? Are you going to disagree when he says you work hard and have exhibited exceptional professionalism? Probably not. This is the whole damn reason for the recommendations/evaluations in the first place: an outside review of your performance/abilities that is not a simple number like GPA or LSAT.

If you want to do it, I suppose nobody will know. :roll:

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:59 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:If you want to do it, I suppose nobody will know. :roll:

Except us. We'll be here, judging the shit out of you, when you get into Yale on the back of your amazing "A++++++++++ great student would teach again!!" evaluation.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:02 am

Don't evals have to be processed by LSAC and everything? Meaning there is absolutely no way in hell that OP is going to meet his deadline? (which if it is March 1st is already over)

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:09 am

LOL at wasting time with evaluations

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”