Law School Admissions Factors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Law School Admissions Factors

Postby lambert8 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Hello, I'm going to be applying to law school this upcoming fall and had a few questions on how much stock law school admissions people put into certain things. My dream school is UMiami and I'm from NJ so my areas of question are how much stock do they put into geographic location of those applying (will being from a decently far away state help me), how much is put into if you played varsity sports in college (I'm a 4 year athlete), and how much do withdrawals hurt you? Right now I have 3. Thanks a lot for your help and any insight would be appreciated.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby minnbills » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 pm

lambert8 wrote:Hello, I'm going to be applying to law school this upcoming fall and had a few questions on how much stock law school admissions people put into certain things. My dream school is UMiami and I'm from NJ so my areas of question are how much stock do they put into geographic location of those applying (will being from a decently far away state help me), how much is put into if you played varsity sports in college (I'm a 4 year athlete), and how much do withdrawals hurt you? Right now I have 3. Thanks a lot for your help and any insight would be appreciated.


Was the withdrawal punitive? That is, were you failing the course and dropped it to retake it?

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:00 am

lambert8 wrote:Hello, I'm going to be applying to law school this upcoming fall and had a few questions on how much stock law school admissions people put into certain things. My dream school is UMiami and I'm from NJ so my areas of question are how much stock do they put into geographic location of those applying (will being from a decently far away state help me), how much is put into if you played varsity sports in college (I'm a 4 year athlete), and how much do withdrawals hurt you? Right now I have 3. Thanks a lot for your help and any insight would be appreciated.


Dream bigger.
I have 2 Ws on my record and it hasn't effected me.
Varsity sports might give a slight bump, but it really is 98% numbers barring significant work experience or something incredible.

lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby lambert8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:39 am

minn: none of the withdrawals were punitive, they were more because the teachers were horrendous and I didn't feel like I was getting my moneys worth for the courses

rman: what do you mean when you say dream bigger? Thanks

lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby lambert8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:39 am

rman: just saying because what I feel like I have a chance to get on the LSAT and what my gpa is I feel like miami is a reach at this point

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby aspire2more » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:40 am

Dream bigger = Better school than UMiami

If you don't think you will score well on the LSAT, study more and wait for a later test administration. It can make all the difference.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 am

what lsat score are you currently practicing at?

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:42 am

lambert8 wrote:rman: just saying because what I feel like I have a chance to get on the LSAT and what my gpa is I feel like miami is a reach at this point


gpa?
How many practice tests have you taken? Average?
Have you read the LG + LR powerscore bibles?

Miami just isn't a good idea, especially at sticker. You'd be much better off doing something like Rutgers-Newark where you are with in-state tuition.
Is there a particular reason you want to be in Miami? Is it Lebron? Are you aware the FL legal market is crap?

lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby lambert8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 am

rman: I have a 3.1 gpa at The College of New Jersey..I don't know if your familiar with it not sure where your from but it has a good reputation in the tri-state area as a top public school...My practice tests have been in the low 150s and I'm taking a Testmasters course in April for the June LSAT..I like Miami because I want to be involved in sports law and I have some family in the area so it wouldn't be too challenging to adjust (I hate Lebron I'm from NJ I'm a Knicks fan)

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby Miracle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:49 am

You only have 3 w's and you're panicking?

I had over 15+, a semester full of them (6) plus some on the side. None of them affected me negatively.

lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby lambert8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 am

I've just read some things that law schools look down on W's

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby Miracle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:53 am

lambert8 wrote:I've just read some things that law schools look down on W's


they don't! this question comes up often on TLS and everyone can tell you from experience that they don't.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:53 am

lambert8 wrote:I've just read some things that law schools look down on W's


Law schools say a lot of things.

Seriously though, Miami at sticker just is not a good idea, and your odds of breaking into Sports Law from UM is virtually nil. But just read the bibles, take more practice tests, and see if you can get that LSAT up, at least enough for some decent scholarship $$$ if you do decide on UM.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 am

lambert8 wrote:rman: I have a 3.1 gpa at The College of New Jersey..I don't know if your familiar with it not sure where your from but it has a good reputation in the tri-state area as a top public school...My practice tests have been in the low 150s and I'm taking a Testmasters course in April for the June LSAT..I like Miami because I want to be involved in sports law and I have some family in the area so it wouldn't be too challenging to adjust (I hate Lebron I'm from NJ I'm a Knicks fan)


Try to get to high 150s on LSAT and you have a good shot. Schools don't care about Ws as long as your current GPA= your LSAC GPA= 3.1

lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby lambert8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:57 am

why do you think there's a small chance of getting into sports law coming out of um? I've read some things that its pretty good for this field and have seen it has a pretty big sports and entertainment law symposium every year...

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:59 am

I don't even think I my transcript has withdrawals on them. Do all schools list withdrawals? Last time I pulled an official transcript on myself, I don't remember seeing any and I know I withdrew a ton.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:00 am

lambert8 wrote:why do you think there's a small chance of getting into sports law coming out of um? I've read some things that its pretty good for this field and have seen it has a pretty big sports and entertainment law symposium every year...


This thread has solid advice.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=148194

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby aspire2more » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:02 am

Your practice tests are in the 150s and you have four months before your LSAT administration. That is plenty of time to break the 160s. You are not in dire straits at this point.

lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby lambert8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:08 am

so your saying trying to get into somewhere in LA would be a better option?

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:12 am

lambert8 wrote:so your saying trying to get into somewhere in LA would be a better option?


Not necessarily, the main thing is that it usually requires an elite school and/or serious connections and luck to break into Sports/Entertainment. I wouldn't suggest going out of your way to LA unless you get into UCLA or USC.
But if you have your heart set on Miami just make sure you do your research and look for good hard statistics rather than anecdotal cases touted by the admissions department.

lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby lambert8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:14 am

I hear ya. I just feel like sports have been a part of my life since I can remember and I would excel in a field like that while being happy with what I do and not sitting in a booth hating my life...You seem to be pretty informed...have you ever heard anything about St.Thomas in Miami and their Sports Adminstration JD/MBA?

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 am

lambert8 wrote:I hear ya. I just feel like sports have been a part of my life since I can remember and I would excel in a field like that while being happy with what I do and not sitting in a booth hating my life...You seem to be pretty informed...have you ever heard anything about St.Thomas in Miami and their Sports Adminstration JD/MBA?


All I've really heard about St. Thomas is it has bleak employment prospects. Florida just isn't a great state to be in right now because it was one of the hardest hit by the recession.
Is there any particular reason you want to go into law? I can understand the passion for sports and all, but surely there's a cheaper route that can lead you into better prospects, at least until you get the experience to help you land a job if you do decide to attend law school at some point.

lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby lambert8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:24 am

I figure I can at least get some $$ from there if I were to apply...Reason for going into law would just be to get into the Sports Law business..I basically just have a goal to work in sports

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby TheOcho » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:26 am

lambert8 wrote:I figure I can at least get some $$ from there if I were to apply...Reason for going into law would just be to get into the Sports Law business..I basically just have a goal to work in sports


I heard MLB is hiring people to blog about baseball.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Law School Admissions Factors

Postby minnbills » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 am

lambert8 wrote:I figure I can at least get some $$ from there if I were to apply...Reason for going into law would just be to get into the Sports Law business..I basically just have a goal to work in sports


It sounds like you're not really sure that this is for you...

EDIT: as in law school




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SunDevil14 and 4 guests