Average Law School Loans Per School chart?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trixareforkids

Average Law School Loans Per School chart?

Postby trixareforkids » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:03 pm

A while ago I saw a chart that lists the average amount of indebtedness law students gradaute with per school. Anyone know where I could find that / have the link for it?

Also, I'm just trying to gather any pertinent information about law school loans and debt. So if you have any particular articles or info you think I should look into I'd appreciate your help.

I'm deciding whether to apply to law school or not. Debating between the MPP or JD route.

Thanks!

bk1

Re: Average Law School Loans Per School chart?

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:09 pm

The chart is useless on a micro level because what matters is what kind of scholarship offer you get. The chart I think you are referring to is the one USNWR published, but the link (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... /grad_debt) that I thought it was supposed to be at is no longer working.

If you want to be a lawyer then get a JD. It would be generally foolish to get a JD for a non-legal job.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

bk1 wrote:If you want to be a lawyer then get a JD. It would be generally foolish to get a JD for a non-legal job.

So are you saying me getting a JD to help my Best Buy store management application was a poor decision?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 pm

bk1 wrote:The chart is useless on a micro level because what matters is what kind of scholarship offer you get. The chart I think you are referring to is the one USNWR published, but the link (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... /grad_debt) that I thought it was supposed to be at is no longer working.

If you want to be a lawyer then get a JD. It would be generally foolish to get a JD for a non-legal job.

what if you could get it from a top 10 school for free ( I mean completely free, true COA). Would that change your opinion?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
bk1 wrote:The chart is useless on a micro level because what matters is what kind of scholarship offer you get. The chart I think you are referring to is the one USNWR published, but the link (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... /grad_debt) that I thought it was supposed to be at is no longer working.

what if you could get it from a top 10 school for free ( I mean completely free, true COA). Would that change your opinion?

There are reasons to do this but it usually requires high-end consulting experience, an engineering/math background, or ridiculous connections.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 am

tkgrrett wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

There are reasons to do this but it usually requires high-end consulting experience, an engineering/math background, or ridiculous connections.

Pretty much this.

If you don't have a special "in" for exactly what you want to do and it something that is uncommon for JD's then you are wasting 3 years of your life on the high probability you are not going to get what you want so you be damn well sure you are okay with taking a legal job afterwards.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”