Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby bbermud » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:08 pm

I received a letter from Northwestern saying my application had been placed on hold and that I could submit further materials e.g. letters or recommendations/updated resume and that they would decide after May. Is this the same as being listed? I am somewhat confused as to what this means. Thank you for your help!

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:18 pm

it means a couple things:

1.) your application has been placed on hold

2.) you can submit further materials (e.g. letters of recommendation/updated resume)

3.) they will review your application again and decide after May

sold123
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby sold123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:23 pm

fatduck wrote:it means a couple things:

1.) your application has been placed on hold

2.) you can submit further materials (e.g. letters of recommendation/updated resume)

3.) they will review your application again and decide after May


Probably the best answer you're going to get without going into speculation and unknowns. If that is what you want, you can search for "Northwestern hold" under the search forum tool for that line of thinking.

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:25 pm

To give you a short answer, being on hold is not the same as being waitlisted. The decisions they can make are accept, deny or waitlist. They're not making any one of these decisions until May.

So you're safe for now.

cold_logic
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:14 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby cold_logic » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:25 pm

I think it generally means that NW could accept you, but you're on the bubble and they want to review the entire applicant pool before making a decision. It's not a wait-list (yet) because NW still hasn't filled their incoming class. You have a chance, especially if you send some good supplemental materials.

However, statistics and the general pessimistic mood around TLS seem to indicate that the majority of "holds" do become "wait-lists" eventually.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:26 pm

fatduck wrote:it means a couple things:

1.) your application has been placed on hold

2.) you can submit further materials (e.g. letters of recommendation/updated resume)

3.) they will review your application again and decide after May


LOLyerfunnyyyy

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:28 pm

bbermud wrote:I received a letter from Northwestern saying my application had been placed on hold and that I could submit further materials e.g. letters or recommendations/updated resume and that they would decide after May. Is this the same as being listed? I am somewhat confused as to what this means. Thank you for your help!


How is this different from being waitlisted except the technicality of labeling the letter as a hold letter?

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:To give you a short answer, being on hold is not the same as being waitlisted. The decisions they can make are accept, deny or waitlist. They're not making any one of these decisions until May.

So you're safe for now.


It does not mean this. It might end up being this, but it says "By early May, we expect to re-evaluate those candidates who have chosen to remain on hold." To me this means that they expect to have completed that re-evaluation by then, and may well make those decisions much earlier. In fact, last week Johann's twitter implied that they were going to look at held candidates before they look at people who applied in the two weeks extra allotted. Holds are still active applications and might be opened up at any time.

sold123
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby sold123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
fatduck wrote:it means a couple things:

1.) your application has been placed on hold

2.) you can submit further materials (e.g. letters of recommendation/updated resume)

3.) they will review your application again and decide after May


LOLyerfunnyyyy


It was a bit crude, but he had a pretty solid point.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:38 pm

mr_toad wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:To give you a short answer, being on hold is not the same as being waitlisted. The decisions they can make are accept, deny or waitlist. They're not making any one of these decisions until May.

So you're safe for now.


It does not mean this. It might end up being this, but it says "By early May, we expect to re-evaluate those candidates who have chosen to remain on hold." To me this means that they expect to have completed that re-evaluation by then, and may well make those decisions much earlier. In fact, last week Johann's twitter implied that they were going to look at held candidates before they look at people who applied in the two weeks extra allotted. Holds are still active applications and might be opened up at any time.


OP (or anyone in a similar situation): can you post the letter?

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Our Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application for admission to Northwestern Law and has decided to place it on hold.

We were impressed with many aspects of your background. However, with only one spot for every twenty applicants who apply, there are initially more admissible candidates than we have places in our entering class.

To remain eligible for further review, please return the enclosed response form as soon as possible but no later than April 1, 2011. Your application will be withdrawn from consideration if we do not receive your response form by that date. You may also wish to update your original application with any information that you think would assist our selection process, such as letters of continuing interest, recent grades, honors, promotions, or a Career Progress Evaluation Form (in lieu of additional letters of recommendation). Please note that in our efforts to be green and have a paperless process, all updates must be sent electronically via email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu.

By early May, we expect to re-evaluate those candidates who have chosen to remain on hold. At that time, you will be notified whether you have been admitted, denied, or placed on the waiting list. If we can act sooner, we will do so in order to help you plan your studies.

In order to better serve you, the applicant, we have allocated Wednesday between 11am and 4pm (Central Time) to answer your questions regarding being placed on hold. Answers to hold status FAQs are located here. You may contact our office at (312) 503-8465. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this busy and uncertain time of year.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:51 pm

sold123 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
fatduck wrote:it means a couple things:

1.) your application has been placed on hold

2.) you can submit further materials (e.g. letters of recommendation/updated resume)

3.) they will review your application again and decide after May


LOLyerfunnyyyy


It was a bit crude, but he had a pretty solid point.


haha, i was actually saying it was legit funny

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:59 pm

mr_toad wrote:Our Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application for admission to Northwestern Law and has decided to place it on hold.

We were impressed with many aspects of your background. However, with only one spot for every twenty applicants who apply, there are initially more admissible candidates than we have places in our entering class.

To remain eligible for further review, please return the enclosed response form as soon as possible but no later than April 1, 2011. Your application will be withdrawn from consideration if we do not receive your response form by that date. You may also wish to update your original application with any information that you think would assist our selection process, such as letters of continuing interest, recent grades, honors, promotions, or a Career Progress Evaluation Form (in lieu of additional letters of recommendation). Please note that in our efforts to be green and have a paperless process, all updates must be sent electronically via email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu.

By early May, we expect to re-evaluate those candidates who have chosen to remain on hold. At that time, you will be notified whether you have been admitted, denied, or placed on the waiting list. If we can act sooner, we will do so in order to help you plan your studies.

In order to better serve you, the applicant, we have allocated Wednesday between 11am and 4pm (Central Time) to answer your questions regarding being placed on hold. Answers to hold status FAQs are located here. You may contact our office at (312) 503-8465. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this busy and uncertain time of year.


Sorry, but this letter sounds more like a preliminary waitlist to me than a hold letter. But regardless, good luck to those who are waiting.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm

Probably true, the difference between that waitlists aren't usually looked at until after deposits whereas holds are potentially being looked at right now. That said, it may end up functioning pretty much the same. I agree with you to an extent though in that if it were truly better than a waitlist, then they would promise a response before April 15 so people don't pony up somewhere else and then get accepted to NU.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:27 pm

mr_toad wrote:Probably true, the difference between that waitlists aren't usually looked at until after deposits whereas holds are potentially being looked at right now. That said, it may end up functioning pretty much the same. I agree with you to an extent though in that if it were truly better than a waitlist, then they would promise a response before April 15 so people don't pony up somewhere else and then get accepted to NU.


I was trying to be supportive and encouraging. Effort failed.

Fine, the letter sounds like a waitlist offer to me since NW deposit is due on Apr 30, and the letter says they do not re-evaluate applications until after May 1.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:31 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Probably true, the difference between that waitlists aren't usually looked at until after deposits whereas holds are potentially being looked at right now. That said, it may end up functioning pretty much the same. I agree with you to an extent though in that if it were truly better than a waitlist, then they would promise a response before April 15 so people don't pony up somewhere else and then get accepted to NU.


I was trying to be supportive and encouraging. Effort failed.

Fine, the letter sounds like a waitlist offer to me since NW deposit is due on Apr 30, and the letter says they do not re-evaluate applications until after May 1.


I do not think that this means what you think it means. See conversation earlier... It does NOT say that they will NOT look at applicants until after May 1. It says that by (not 'in') early May they will re-evaluate. On a time continuum, that includes all time between now and early May as possible hold reviewing time. Whether or not it works that way in practice... who knows?

But thank you for trying to be supportive and encouraging. :)

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby bbermud » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 pm

mr_toad wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Probably true, the difference between that waitlists aren't usually looked at until after deposits whereas holds are potentially being looked at right now. That said, it may end up functioning pretty much the same. I agree with you to an extent though in that if it were truly better than a waitlist, then they would promise a response before April 15 so people don't pony up somewhere else and then get accepted to NU.


I was trying to be supportive and encouraging. Effort failed.

Fine, the letter sounds like a waitlist offer to me since NW deposit is due on Apr 30, and the letter says they do not re-evaluate applications until after May 1.


I do not think that this means what you think it means. See conversation earlier... It does NOT say that they will NOT look at applicants until after May 1. It says that by (not 'in') early May they will re-evaluate. On a time continuum, that includes all time between now and early May as possible hold reviewing time. Whether or not it works that way in practice... who knows?

But thank you for trying to be supportive and encouraging. :)



+1. Thank you as well!! Having an LSAT score of 153, I need all of the encouragement I can get.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby mr_toad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm

From their blog:

So, you've turned in your response form, completed one, or all, of the options above and ... um ... what the heck happens now? Well, we will look over the hold applications again in April and decide your fate. Everyone on hold receives a new decision -- Deny, Waitlist, or Admit -- which you will be notified of via email. Your decision letter, as it has been before, will be located on the status check for security reasons. We will also update Twitter and Facebook and announce when we are intending to send notifications out.

Bolding is my emphasis.

Link: --LinkRemoved-- (admittedly from the last app cycle, but I assume this will be similar to this year's)

User avatar
fragged
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby fragged » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Think of it like this.

You ask someone out on a date and they don't give you an answer immediately because they are waiting to see if they get asked out by someone cuter. By Saturday afternoon if they don't have a better offer, they'll slum it with you.

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby bbermud » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:43 pm

fragged wrote:Think of it like this.

You ask someone out on a date and they don't give you an answer immediately because they are waiting to see if they get asked out by someone cuter. By Saturday afternoon if they don't have a better offer, they'll slum it with you.



ill take what i can get. i have no qualms with being sloppy seconds.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Application placed on hold. What does that mean?

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:45 pm

fatduck wrote:it means a couple things:

1.) your application has been placed on hold

2.) you can submit further materials (e.g. letters of recommendation/updated resume)

3.) they will review your application again and decide after May


I love you.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, echonov, Lexaholik, shineoncrazydiamond and 5 guests