choosing b/w UCLA & loyola

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ash;-)

choosing b/w UCLA & loyola

Postby Ash;-) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi every one

Loyola has offered me almost full ride scholarship. On the other hand I got an admission from UCLA but they did not offer me any money. Now I'm wondering which one to choose. There is some thing to consider: I don't really want to work for big law after graduation, since all my friends who did that hate their lives and their jobs. So please take this note into consideration before rendering you suggestions....

Older Chest

Re: choosing b/w UCLA & loyola

Postby Older Chest » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Go to UCLA. If you want to be in Los Angeles, go to the best law school in the region. Plus, it sounds like Loyola would cost you some tuition plus LA living expenses, so it isn't an offer you can't refuse.

Congrats on the UCLA acceptance. That is a fantastic accomplishment in itself!

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:52 pm

UCLA's reputation is so much better, i'd go to UCLA if i were you

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Well if you go to UCLA at sticker you pretty much have to find a high paying job to pay off around 200k debt.

Ash;-)

Postby Ash;-) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:01 pm

I am A UCLA lum and love UCLA, however UCLA will cost me about 180k with living expences where as loyola will cost me about 40k including living expences (including the scholarship). One thing is I don't want to work for big law and after couple of years I want to go into private practice and at that point I don't think it matters which law school I will come out of. Furthermore more than likely I will probably be in the top Portion of my class at loyola where as I will probably be an average student at UCLA (considering the caliber of the students in each school) now considering the above what do you think I should do?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:03 pm

based on your post-JD plans: loyola

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Ash;-) wrote:I am A UCLA lum and love UCLA, however UCLA will cost me about 180k with living expences where as loyola will cost me about 40k including living expences (including the scholarship). One thing is I don't want to work for big law and after couple of years I want to go into private practice and at that point I don't think it matters which law school I will come out of. Furthermore more than likely I will probably be in the top Portion of my class at loyola where as I will probably be an average student at UCLA (considering the caliber of the students in each school) now considering the above what do you think I should do?

The bolded is just not true.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Go to UCLA. You have no idea how well you'll do in law school, so if you're one of the 70% of students who get under top 30 and thus get no scholly money, you won't get totally boned.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 pm

UCLA

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 pm

99.9luft wrote:based on your post-JD plans: loyola

agreeX10

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Hannibal wrote:Go to UCLA. You have no idea how well you'll do in law school, so if you're one of the 70% of students who get under top 30 and thus get no scholly money, you won't get totally boned.

Is top 30% a Loyola scholarship stip?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:08 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Go to UCLA. You have no idea how well you'll do in law school, so if you're one of the 70% of students who get under top 30 and thus get no scholly money, you won't get totally boned.

Yup. And they don't negotiate out of that.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Hannibal wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

What a crock of shit!

Ash;-)

Postby Ash;-) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

What a crock of shit!

That is a very valid point to consider.... One thing is that I have a lot of friends who are at loyola as we speak and they can provide me with a lot of networking support in school. I already have all the class out lines and all the dos and donts list of loyola to stay very competetive at school. So base on that I'm some how think securing top 30% would be doable at loyola but at the same time any thing is possible...

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:25 pm

No offense, but that barely matters. You'll be going to a school where nearly everyone will have a scholarship with that stip, everyone thinks they can make it if they try hard enough. They could easily get the same information by just asking some Loyola students on here. Or googling. Assuming that info matters.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Ash;-) wrote:I am A UCLA lum and love UCLA, however UCLA will cost me about 180k with living expences where as loyola will cost me about 40k including living expences (including the scholarship). One thing is I don't want to work for big law and after couple of years I want to go into private practice and at that point I don't think it matters which law school I will come out of. Furthermore more than likely I will probably be in the top Portion of my class at loyola where as I will probably be an average student at UCLA (considering the caliber of the students in each school) now considering the above what do you think I should do?

+1. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking this. Loyola students are not dumb and almost all of them will be gunning for top 10% because they either wish to transfer up or realize that only the best students there will secure gainful employment.

Bottom line, go to UCLA.

Ash;-)

Postby Ash;-) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

+1. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking this. Loyola students are not dumb and almost all of them will be gunning for top 10% because they either wish to transfer up or realize that only the best students there will secure gainful employment.

Bottom line, go to UCLA.

This is a very valid consideration and I totally agree with you but at the same time it's hard to say bye to that much money... Lol

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Top 30% stip? No.................

LiveFreeOrLaw

Postby LiveFreeOrLaw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:04 pm

It doesn't matter what you think you're going to do post-law school. Go to the best school possible and in the long run, that 150k will have been a good investment.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:07 pm

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:....in the long run, that 150k will have been a good investment.

unless you don't get a 100k+ job like half of ucla law's class for the past couple of years...., while you have to pay rent and $2000/month loan payments 6 months after graduation.

OP, take the money. I still say Loyola.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 pm

99.9luft wrote:
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:....in the long run, that 150k will have been a good investment.

unless you don't get a 100k+ job like half of ucla law's class for the past couple of years...., while you have to pay rent and $2000/month loan payments 6 months after graduation.

Half? That's being generous!

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:16 pm

UCLA. However, I would like to add that given your career goals Loyola isn't a bad school. There are a number of people who work in the legal field in Los Angeles that are surprised that Loyola isn't a top 25 school. if you could be assured of the scholarship I would say Loyola hands down (given my own desires that would be where I would go), but you can't guarantee it. As others have said, if your numbers are just a little weak for UCLA and USC (which is true of many t14 students, btw) and you are dead set on not leaving SoCal, then where else are you going to go? Add in the handful of students who really hit their groove in law school, the returning students who dicked around in college because it either wasn't as important to do well when they went or because they were less mature then than they are now, and the students who went to elite schools and got into hard majors without really understanding how law school admissions worked, and you've got a pretty good chunk of the class that can be competitive. Then the likelihood that you get that one teacher you just can't see eye to eye on who ends up B+'ing your final exam and you have to worry about top third.

Remember, it doesn't even matter if you think you are likely to get top third. You should ask yourself if you could finish law school should it not (for whatever reason) happen.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:17 pm

99.9luft wrote:

To be fair, for myself, I would take the money. But, I would rather be debt free and have to drop out at the end of the first year.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

To be fair, for myself, I would take the money. But, I would rather be debt free and have to drop out at the end of the first year.

top 30% Stip!!!

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

top 30% Stip!!!

Right, and if that were my only set of choices then I would accept just having to drop out if I were required to. But my reasons for going and what I hope to do with a JD is different than most peoples.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”