nature of work experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

nature of work experience

Postby sangr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:29 pm

hey guys

so I intend to apply for LS this fall. question is..

I would like to do an international English teacher program for a year..
but i am feeling obligated to get some experience in some real office setting. by this I mean working as a paralegal, legal assistant, any kind of job in a "legit" place I guess.

so how would it pan out if I did th teaching gig as opposed to the mentioned jobs?
during job searches?
I'm under the impression that it won't make as much of a difference for acceptance to LS. however I'm concerned about AFTER when I look for jobs

thanks

fatduck

Re: nature of work experience

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:31 pm

sounds cool, you should do it. no one's going to care if you haven't worked in the legal field prior to LS.

eta: working abroad will probably be more impressive than working as a secretary, even if the latter is an "office job"

sangr

Postby sangr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:58 pm

awesome..
thanks for the input
it's just that I thought employers would prefer someone whose "been in the grind" or had something

any others got experience or thoughts?

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Employers won't necessarily care if you've worked in the legal field or if you've slaved away somewhere.

I always advise people to work in the legal field prior to law school for themselves. To me, plunking down tens of thousands of dollars without a clear idea of what awaits you on the otherside is like buying a porsche without a test drive or a million dollar condo without an inspection. Just not a smart way to educate yourself about an investment. (ESPECIALLY if you want to do firm work)

With that said, I've heard nothing but great things about teaching English abroad, so I would definitely do it if you want to. I personally would spend a little while in the legal field after coming back, though.

sangr

Postby sangr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 pm

nice...so i guess its quite fine to do this ( at leats in Law school and recruiters; eyes), from the replies ive seen so far

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”