Should I include this info in my applications? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cmraider

Bronze

Should I include this info in my applications?

Post by cmraider » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 pm

On a few of my applications, there has been a section asking if the applicant has ever been arrested, convicted, cited, prosecuted, etc., of anything other than a parking violation. It goes on to say that even if the offense was removed, expunged, deferred, blah blah blah, that it should be included.

I know there are other threads citing the same question, but I haven't found one that is comparable to my situation.

When I was 16-years-old, I got in a minor car accident after I ran a stop sign. I was cited for "failure to yield the right of way," paid like $60, took a defensive driving course and had it expunged. Otherwise, my record is clean. This is obviously not a parking violation, but I figure it's on the same level as a speeding ticket.

Is this something for which I should mark "yes" on the applications and write an addendum? Will marking "no" come back to bite me after I graduate?

fatduck

Gold

Re: Should I include this info in my applications?

Post by fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 pm

just disclose it

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:09 pm

I always recommend disclosing when in doubt. Feeling nervous over the next three years that someone will find out and you won't be able to pass C+F on the Bar isn't worth it.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I always recommend disclosing when in doubt. Feeling nervous over the next three years that someone will find out and you won't be able to pass C+F on the Bar isn't worth it.

cmraider

Bronze

Post by cmraider » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:13 pm

I figured this would be the response. I was just concerned about whether simply marking "yes" would negatively affect my application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Brah its not like you killed or robbed anyone. Adcomms won't even think twice about such a small violation. But do disclose it. Don't think my trivializing of it means you should neglect to do so.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:19 pm

mark yes. I have some similar silly things that i disclosed, and got into the schools i wanted to (and with money to boot). Its better to err on the safe side, and tell theme verything- than to not, and have it bite you in the butt later.

cmraider

Bronze

Post by cmraider » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks. Like I said, I figured as much. I just somehow got it in my head that there might be a chance I mark "yes," but the explanation doesn't get read and I get rejected. I'm thinking about this way too much.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:25 pm

cmraider wrote:I'm thinking about this way too much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”