First topic: I need a gameplan. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlabamaIceman

New

First topic: I need a gameplan.

Post by AlabamaIceman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:04 pm

This topic might be moved or and I apologize, I'm not intentionally going anything in the wrong place, I just don't know my way around yet.

My GPA is hanging at 4.0 here in my Junior year at Auburn University, which I transferred to from William Carey University, a small private school in MS. At WCU I left with a 3.98 (one B) As I have progressed through my college career, my ambitions have gone steadily higher, and I'm pinning a lot on my intentions of doing well on the LSAT and making it into a solid school.

I have taken one practice test with little or no prep, and I was also sick propped up on Tylenol... made a 156. I was severely disappointed, and of course, the results showed that it was the logic games section that wrecked me. I plan on enrolling in the TestMasters course leading up to the June LSAT, and right before posting this topic, I also ordered the Logic Games Bible (?) from Amazon.

I'm not quite clear on the other dates and such though. When do I need to be thinking about getting a package together and sending in to the LSAC?

Also, my extracurriculars are not pathetic, but rather lacking. Should I try to go out of my way in my last 1.5 years of undergrad to find things that pad the resume (bylines? I'm not even sure) or is it too little, too late at this point?

src42

Bronze

Re: First topic: I need a gameplan.

Post by src42 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm

I don't have any opinions about the LSAT class--I never took one. I just studied my ass off (think 2 hours a day almost every day, plus full-length, timed practice tests once a week for three months). The LSAT prep thread is insanely helpful and there are lots of study plans. If you're dedicated and focused, you can totally bring up your score by ten points or more...the logic game section is the easiest to improve on. I think my first prep test was in the low 160s, and I ended up testing in the 170s (with a 170 on test day). With your GPA, a 170 would open tons of doors, but without a 160, law school is probably not worth it.

I think you should try to build up your resume, but quality is better than quantity. Join a club you care about and actually get involved. Also, work experience is one of the better softs you can have. Consider working for a year or two before law school. It definitely can't hurt.

Don't even think about your application or anything else until your LSAT is done. Just study like crazy until June, and then you can worry about your resume, your personal statement, recommendations, etc.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:15 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:This topic might be moved or and I apologize, I'm not intentionally going anything in the wrong place, I just don't know my way around yet.

My GPA is hanging at 4.0 here in my Junior year at Auburn University, which I transferred to from William Carey University, a small private school in MS. At WCU I left with a 3.98 (one B) As I have progressed through my college career, my ambitions have gone steadily higher, and I'm pinning a lot on my intentions of doing well on the LSAT and making it into a solid school.

I have taken one practice test with little or no prep, and I was also sick propped up on Tylenol... made a 156. I was severely disappointed, and of course, the results showed that it was the logic games section that wrecked me. I plan on enrolling in the TestMasters course leading up to the June LSAT, and right before posting this topic, I also ordered the Logic Games Bible (?) from Amazon.

I'm not quite clear on the other dates and such though. When do I need to be thinking about getting a package together and sending in to the LSAC?

Also, my extracurriculars are not pathetic, but rather lacking. Should I try to go out of my way in my last 1.5 years of undergrad to find things that pad the resume (bylines? I'm not even sure) or is it too little, too late at this point?
Fortunately for you the logic games are often the easiest section to improve on once you know the different ways to approach them. Obviously some people still have problems with them, but that's more reassuring than finding out that you never comprehend anything that you read. Even if you just add on 10 points with that GPA you'll have a competitive app for T1. I have a friend with a 3.98 and low 160s LSAT (after 3 takes) with nothing amazing on his app, and he got into UCLA. If you hit 170+ you should definitely get T14. At least as long as LSAC doesn't substantially change your GPA.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:19 pm

My testmasters class was great, i recommend it. You can expect to improve 10 or more points if you really work at it.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Cade McNown wrote:My testmasters class was great, i recommend it. You can expect to improve 10 or more points if you really work at it.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Take Testmasters. Started off with a 149 and ended up with a 166. Had I discovered TLS at any time, I am sure that score would have been higher. Use all the resources on this website, they are incredibly useful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”