This is what awaits many of you upon graduation. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HBK

Bronze

Re: This is what awaits many of you upon graduation.

Post by HBK » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:02 am

Maybe he should move out of the city where the top students from every T1 school in the country flock.

/just saying
//he should get a better job.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:07 am

Such unsympathetic crowd here...

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:09 am

This thread is lulzy

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:09 am

Probably true, but it is also what awaits a lot of people ITE. Nichevo.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am

I read this, and thought "Mickey Quicknumbers, let's be honest. You have about a coinflip's chance of ending up the same way."

Fortunately, it's my lucky coin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:13 am

I mean this is TOP law schools.com, many people will not be going to TTT schools on this site so even the title is a partial fail.

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 am

That sucks horribly, but you need to be realistic.

1. Is there any way you can you live in your car? I know you wrote that you don't have insurance on it, but is there any way you can fix that? Car beats the street by a longshot.

2. Just start driving around looking for minimum wage work wherever you can find it. 7-11 night shift, whatever. Make sure to tell them your story so that they know it's either you work there or you starve.

3. Don't hesitate to beg with a sign or something if you need money to eat. Tell them you're a law grad and you worked hard but need a little help. If your school is in an urban area do it right in front of the entrance, as the students will give you some of their student loan money.

Overall, though, make sure you're not complacent. Get moving or you ris dying of exposure.
Bittersweet advice =\

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:16 am

Master Tofu wrote:Such unsympathetic crowd here...
OP should have figured out what he wanted to do with his life before putting himself $150K in the hole.

I do not feel sorry for him one bit. Sounds like a whiner.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:16 am

HopefulFish wrote:
That sucks horribly, but you need to be realistic.

1. Is there any way you can you live in your car? I know you wrote that you don't have insurance on it, but is there any way you can fix that? Car beats the street by a longshot.

2. Just start driving around looking for minimum wage work wherever you can find it. 7-11 night shift, whatever. Make sure to tell them your story so that they know it's either you work there or you starve.

3. Don't hesitate to beg with a sign or something if you need money to eat. Tell them you're a law grad and you worked hard but need a little help. If your school is in an urban area do it right in front of the entrance, as the students will give you some of their student loan money.

Overall, though, make sure you're not complacent. Get moving or you ris dying of exposure.
Bittersweet advice =\
Why do I feel like this would not work.......

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:20 am

HBK wrote:
OP should have figured out what he wanted to do with his life before putting himself $150K in the hole.

Well, I don't know how you can be in that situation and not whine a little bit. Granted, I am not sure I buy his story, but self-sufficiency in this context is an illusion.

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:25 am

Master Tofu wrote:
HBK wrote:

Well, I don't know how you can be in that situation and not whine a little bit. Granted, I am not sure I buy his story, but self-sufficiency in this context is an illusion.
Let's not forget a lot of the posters here are recent college grads who often have not developed empathy.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:28 am

If you thought this thread was entertaining you should check out the FSU vs UM thread....kid is running wild in there...

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:47 am

HopefulFish wrote:
Master Tofu wrote:
HBK wrote:

Let's not forget a lot of the posters here are recent college grads who often have not developed empathy.
If that was directed at me, I probably had my bachelor's degree while you were still in high school. When I went to undergrad, I thought "I want to be able to get a job when I get out of here." So I, like many other people, majored in something marketable. It appears OP did not make that choice.

If there are no jobs somewhere, and you are getting evicted, it may be time to look elsewhere for jobs. Especially if you're a very small fish in a very large pond.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:13 am

HBK wrote: If that was directed at me, I probably had my bachelor's degree while you were still in high school. When I went to undergrad, I thought "I want to be able to get a job when I get out of here." So I, like many other people, majored in something marketable. It appears OP did not make that choice.

If there are no jobs somewhere, and you are getting evicted, it may be time to look elsewhere for jobs. Especially if you're a very small fish in a very large pond.
No. Relax dude

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:29 am

[/quote]
Veyron wrote:Probably true, but it is also what awaits a lot of people ITE. Nichevo.
Ti prav, bratets.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:32 am

socraticmethodman wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:is it just me or does this look a little suspicious.

Sure, I get it, the legal market sucks cow testicles right now, but I can't help but feel this is some major trolling tactic to scare away future generations of lawyers.

Just sayin
+1000

I decided to finish the article, and I seriously can't make myself believe that it is real.
Same here. Law degree or not that has nothing to do with getting turned down at 7/11. He should be able to atleast find 2 reatil/supermarket jobs in the mean time to make ends meet while he figures out whats going on. It may be extremely tough for him to get a legal job but I dont believe that he cant find ANY JOB DOING ANYTHING. That has nothing to do with law school.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:39 am

Plus this title is misleading. "Awaits many of you?" Most of TLS is going to T14 schools and I'd say another large portion is going to top 30 schools. There is a huge difference between top 30 schools or T14 schools (possibly with lots of $$) and people who go to TTTT schools at sticker in enormously oversaturated markets.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:43 am

TheTopBloke wrote:And what is that something?
The fact that you are so insecure in your masculinity, so afraid of showing empathy even when it is warranted because you are afraid that it is a sign of weakness. Let there be no doubt that your reluctance to show any sympathy toward this poor soul is a really a reflection of yourself and your cowardly impotence.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:46 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:Plus this title is misleading. "Awaits many of you?" Most of TLS is going to T14 schools and I'd say another large portion is going to top 30 schools. There is a huge difference between top 30 schools or T14 schools (possibly with lots of $$) and people who go to TTTT schools at sticker in enormously oversaturated markets.
Bottom half of all but the T3 are effectively shut out of biglaw. That is the only job (apart from IBR doing PI, which is even MORE competitive than biglaw) which will allow grads to make a dent in their loans. The alternatives are shitlaw (pays 35-60k for 60 hour weeks) or getting out of the legal profession entirely.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:49 am

My heart goes out to that poster - it's truly a sad situation. But I think most people on TLS are aware of this reality and hedge their bets by either attending a top school or minimizing debt with scholarships.

MTal, trolling TLS is a big waste of time. If you really want to warn people about law school, then get a booth next to the TTT schools during an LSAC forum.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:50 am

PI's competitive in a different way though. If you don't have a commitment to public service evidenced by your resume, you're going to have a hard time competing for solid PI jobs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:52 am

The Gentleman wrote:My heart goes out to that poster - it's truly a sad situation. But I think most people on TLS are aware of this reality and hedge their bets by either attending a top school or minimizing debt with scholarships.

MTal, trolling TLS is a big waste of time. If you really want to warn people about law school, then get a booth next to the TTT schools during an LSAC forum.

Not sure if serious or not, but I have a job which makes the above not possible. Also the fact that it would make me seem like a crazed loony wouldn't help either.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:59 am

MTal wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Plus this title is misleading. "Awaits many of you?" Most of TLS is going to T14 schools and I'd say another large portion is going to top 30 schools. There is a huge difference between top 30 schools or T14 schools (possibly with lots of $$) and people who go to TTTT schools at sticker in enormously oversaturated markets.
Bottom half of all but the T3 are effectively shut out of biglaw. That is the only job (apart from IBR doing PI, which is even MORE competitive than biglaw) which will allow grads to make a dent in their loans. The alternatives are shitlaw (pays 35-60k for 60 hour weeks) or getting out of the legal profession entirely.
TBF, 60k for 60 hour weeks would be pretty good with no loans or the tax catastrophe at the end of IBR.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:05 am

Veyron wrote:
MTal wrote:
TBF, 60k for 60 hour weeks would be pretty good with no loans or the tax catastrophe at the end of IBR.
x2. 60k is a good salary, especially if you dont have any loans or only have a small number. I think you just have to smart with where you go (dont go to a T30 at sticker..etc). Some people seem to feel like making 160k is owed to them and any less than that and this is some kind of scam.

Plenty of people go to college and pay 50k? 100k? 150k? for four years of education. They graduate making 30-40k a year (if they can find a job) and you dont see everyone advising you to avoid going to college.

Be smart, dont go to a TTT/TTTT unless its damn well close to free or you have connections and this problem wouldve been solved a long time ago.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:18 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
MTal wrote:
x2. 60k is a good salary, especially if you dont have any loans or only have a small number. I think you just have to smart with where you go (dont go to a T30 at sticker..etc). Some people seem to feel like making 160k is owed to them and any less than that and this is some kind of scam.

Plenty of people go to college and pay 50k? 100k? 150k? for four years of education. They graduate making 30-40k a year (if they can find a job) and you dont see everyone advising you to avoid going to college.

Be smart, dont go to a TTT/TTTT unless its damn well close to free or you have connections and this problem wouldve been solved a long time ago.
You are missing the natural corollary, however, that to have a good shot at making 60k right out of law school, you NEED to go to a T-14 (unless you have highly marketable WE). Catch 22 friend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”