Villanova Reported Innacurate Data to the ABA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
stayway

Silver

Re: Villanova Reported Innacurate Data to the ABA

Post by stayway » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:39 am

HeavenWood wrote:
CChuff wrote: And that is your opinion. I obviously have the opposite opinion as I could have went to Temple.
Was the cost difference for you only $5,000? If you sincerely believe going to school on the Main Line is worth the extra $15,000 (plus higher COL) than Villanova was clearly the right choice for you. I'm not railing on your for your decision, but I do think people should be informed that the only real difference between the two schools are environment and price.
FYI, COL isn't that high for VLS.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:27 am

nooyyllib wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
CChuff wrote: And that is your opinion. I obviously have the opposite opinion as I could have went to Temple.
Was the cost difference for you only $5,000? If you sincerely believe going to school on the Main Line is worth the extra $15,000 (plus higher COL) than Villanova was clearly the right choice for you. I'm not railing on your for your decision, but I do think people should be informed that the only real difference between the two schools are environment and price.
Lower Merion and Radnor aren't cheap, but if you commute from Havertown or Drexel Hill, I suppose rent isn't that bad.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:46 am

HeavenWood wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Lower Merion and Radnor aren't cheap, but if you commute from Havertown or Drexel Hill, I suppose rent isn't that bad.
Just get a roommate or two if you want to live in Radnor. 600/month for rent with a roommate isn't bad at all. Just make sure you're roommate isn't a fucking weirdo first.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:53 am

beach_terror wrote:Just make sure you're roommate isn't a fucking weirdo first.
Listen to Beach, he has a good perspective on that.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:55 pm

This just confirms that Villanova sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:22 pm

HeavenWood wrote: Kopper's right. In Philly, the two schools have near-equal placement and prestige. If one wants Philly, can't get Penn, and has no strong ties to the region, TCR is the cheapest option between Villanova, Temple, and Rutgers Camden.
I say Temple owns the tiebreaker by virtue of having larger alumni network and also for not having a reputation for being full of lame people.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
HeavenWood wrote: Kopper's right. In Philly, the two schools have near-equal placement and prestige. If one wants Philly, can't get Penn, and has no strong ties to the region, TCR is the cheapest option between Villanova, Temple, and Rutgers Camden.
I say Temple owns the tiebreaker by virtue of having larger alumni network and also for not having a reputation for being full of lame people.
Yes, but having a reputation for being lame people means that those lame people will seek to hire other squares, jerks, and douchers.

Temple does have a larger alumni network, which is something I can't dispute. I can just offer the counterargument that smaller alumni networks are often very tight, which can help make up the difference.

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:47 am

beach_terror wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
Yes, but having a reputation for being lame people means that those lame people will seek to hire other squares, jerks, and douchers.

Temple does have a larger alumni network, which is something I can't dispute. I can just offer the counterargument that smaller alumni networks are often very tight, which can help make up the difference.
You'd hire someone from your own school over a more qualified applicant? Of course not. Alumni thing only works on a very personal level - as in if you personally know someone who will hire u.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:48 am

HopefulFish wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

You'd hire someone from your own school over a more qualified applicant? Of course not. Alumni thing only works on a very personal level - as in if you personally know someone who will hire u.
Prolly not as clear cut as the scenario you describe here. I can imagine alumni favoring their brethren during interviews. Something along the lines of:

"Ah...is ____ still there? Did you take his class?" "Oh man I also did ______" etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CChuff

Bronze

Post by CChuff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 am

HopefulFish wrote:
Not true. Penn State lives and dies by hiring their own Alumni even if other applicants are slightly more qualified. Wall Street Journal voted Penn State as number 1 for their "Recruiter Rankings." Meaning that more companies go to Penn State to recruit students than any other school. This has a huge deal to do with Penn State having the most well-connected alumni network in the country. Villanova alumni operate similarly. I am not equating the two, especially since Villanova is a private school. I am just trying to show that a tight alumni network can go a long way.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 63352.html
Last edited by CChuff on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 am

HopefulFish wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

A Temple grad is a more qualified applicant? I don't see the point you're trying to make. If your grades are good enough to get an interview and CB, grades usually aren't the determining factor anymore. Personality, how you fit in with the firm profile, alumni, etc. all become important. This is based on the assumption that the firm will not interview/CB applicants who they would not hire based on their grades.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 am

beach_terror wrote:If your grades are good enough to get an interview and CB, grades usually aren't the determining factor anymore. Personality, how you fit in with the firm profile, alumni, etc. all become important. This is based on the assumption that the firm will not interview/CB applicants who they would not hire based on their grades.
I really hope this is true.

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:11 am

Although anyone surprised by this embarrassing sacrilige had it coming, it still doesn't excuse Villanova employees from being punched in the face repeatedly. Imagine just how low-life you have to be to lie about how good your program is to get a few points ahead on a magazine. People in the law industry never graduated high school and should be ridiculed at every opportunity.

I have nothing but contempt for these people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:45 am

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:Although anyone surprised by this embarrassing sacrilige had it coming, it still doesn't excuse Villanova employees from being punched in the face repeatedly. Imagine just how low-life you have to be to lie about how good your program is to get a few points ahead on a magazine. People in the law industry never graduated high school and should be ridiculed at every opportunity.

I have nothing but contempt for these people.
Wanna try that again bro, but in English this time?

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:22 pm

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:People in the law industry never graduated high school and should be ridiculed at every opportunity.
Cool story

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”