Need some advice on a huge dilemma

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Need some advice on a huge dilemma

Postby ATORR21 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello to all. I need some advice on a dilemma. Here is the scenario and the facts.

I'm a non-traditional (39) full time student, full time professional, scheduled to graduate in May with honors. My Kaplan LSAT prep course starts on 2/20 through 6/5 (weekend course). I'm scheduled for the June LSAT (6/6). This semester my workload is huge (I know, get used to it buddy) and I need a 4.0 this semester to keep me at the 3.82-3.83 GPA level. I'm contemplating switching my June LSAT to October, thus rescheduling my LSAT prep course until later on in the year to coincide with the 10/1 test date. I would still graduate in May with honors, and be ready to do my law school visits and subsequent applications during October and November. Am I taking a risk by doing this? Am I applying to law school too late by taking the October LSAT? Figure I would add 3+ weeks to get my score and then my apps would be complete.

What do the masses think? I really appreciate the replies.

Re: Need some advice on a huge dilemma

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm

you won't be too late at all if everything else is already taken care of (LORs, Credential Assembly Service or whatever that LSAC thing is, etc.) I think you'll be fine and I advise switching to Oct. The only drawback would be that if you did worse than you thought on the LSAT, it would be tough to retake in December and apply that cycle. It's been done, but you'll lose the advantage of getting your stuff in early.

Postby eaglemuncher » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:19 pm

I took the October LSAT for similar reasons. In retrospect, I wish I had taken it in june and then had the option to retake in October. If you screw up in October, retaking in december in possible but not optimal.

Postby Sandro » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:21 pm

October is not too late. Having your app in nov1 compared to sep/oct 1 does virtually nothing for you.

Postby pu_golf88 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Your first mistake was signing up for the Kaplan course...

Postby JD2014 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:04 pm

I agree with pu_golf, ditch the Kaplan course, self-study based on this: ... plans.html

Then take the June test, cancel if you're not confident, then retake in October. Most schools count your highest score, so unless you bomb, you should always take the test twice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”