IU-Bloomington ITE?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
newyorkqueens

IU-Bloomington ITE?

Postby newyorkqueens » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:31 pm

I just received a full scholly to IUB. I know that in greener times this was a solid bet for Big Law in Indy and even Chicago to a certain extent, but how are the prospects ITE?

I always wanted to go back to NYC, but I wouldn't mind getting away from the big apple for a decade or so after school.

Also, how does the culture of this school compare to some peers (UIUC, ND, etc)?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

johnnyutah

Re: IU-Bloomington ITE?

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:42 pm

I know that at least some below median students there have gotten offers from places that I haven't even been able to crack an interview (above median at t-14). I think IU Bloomington outperforms its ranking, at least in Indy, Louisville, and other towns where its grads traditionally end up. If you're willing to live in that part of the country, I say IUB is a good bet even ITE.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm in a similar situation and was hoping for some info on this. I got a scholarship from IU, but I'm from the east coast and want to move back after graduating. This link describes their 2009 class and where they are now. It seems like the midwest is the overwhelming chioce: http://apps.law.indiana.edu/careers/where-are-they-now/

Of course when 30% of your class if from Indiana, with probably a similarly large number from Illinois, it's not surprising that everyone ends up working in Chicago or Indianapolis:
http://www.law.indiana.edu/about/index.shtml

The NALP website will give you a list of employers that do OCI at IU:
--LinkRemoved--

There are some NY offices interviewing there, but it seems like they're either not making offers to IU students, or IU students aren't interviewing for those jobs. I guess the question is how many IU grads actually want to work in NY, and what their job prospects are, as the employment numbers are probably heavily skewed by people that never had any interest in moving east after graduation. Any IU students or grads with any info?

newyorkqueens

Postby newyorkqueens » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:31 pm

JD2014 wrote:I'm in a similar situation and was hoping for some info on this. I got a scholarship from IU, but I'm from the east coast and want to move back after graduating. This link describes their 2009 class and where they are now. It seems like the midwest is the overwhelming chioce: http://apps.law.indiana.edu/careers/where-are-they-now/

Of course when 30% of your class if from Indiana, with probably a similarly large number from Illinois, it's not surprising that everyone ends up working in Chicago or Indianapolis:
http://www.law.indiana.edu/about/index.shtml

The NALP website will give you a list of employers that do OCI at IU:
--LinkRemoved--

There are some NY offices interviewing there, but it seems like they're either not making offers to IU students, or IU students aren't interviewing for those jobs. I guess the question is how many IU grads actually want to work in NY, and what their job prospects are, as the employment numbers are probably heavily skewed by people that never had any interest in moving east after graduation. Any IU students or grads with any info?

Couldn't have put it better myself. Although, I don't mind spending a few years post JD in Indy or Chicago. I also have a full ride from Saint John's on the table, but IUB looks way too good to pass up at this point!

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:44 pm

There's some discussion in this thread about employment out of IU. Nothing to concrete though.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88284&hilit=bloomington&start=1925

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”