(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawbound2014

Postby lawbound2014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Last edited by lawbound2014 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flustercluck

Re: Retake a 169?

Postby Flustercluck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:48 pm

I was in a similar situation last year. 164 in Dec 09, 168 in Feb 10. I retook in October 10 and landed right in between my two scores. I don't know that it hurt me, since most schools only look at highest, but think of it this way. If a school averages, just split the difference - that is to say, if you don't score below a 167, your average isn't hurt. On the other hand, if you break 170, it could make a big difference being above median. Just depends how confident you feel, but I'd lean towards one more try...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 pm

I'd say retake and apply early.

On that note, I'd purposefully wait until after Cornell's EA period to send in a Cornell app (they bungle that shit up bad).

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 pm

if (you have the time){
if (you are MVP or bust){
Retake;
}
if (you scored consistently in the 170+ (I'm thinking 173-176) range) {
Retake;
}
Else {
You still have a shot at MVP with your score (according to LSN)
}

P.S. I AM REALLLLLLY BORED at work.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:01 pm

lawbound2014 wrote:Hey guys, please advise me!
I took the October 2010 LSAT and scored a 165 after misbubbling a few answer choices and feeling anxious during the test. Retook in December and scored a 169. After reviewing the test and the mistakes that I have made, I cannot stop thinking that I underperformed, on top of that I didn't take a full practice test after October's LSAT but only did individual sections, starting roughly three weeks before the test. I will be graduating this coming semester with a GPA in the 3.5's. I really hope that I can get accepted into one of the MVP's if I apply in early September of the upcoming cycle or at the least to Cornell. Having practiced consistently in mid 170's before my October test, I have an urge to retake in June but don't know if the possibility of scoring an extra point or two is worth the risk of scoring lower on my third try. Any advice is appreciated.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kayakinglaw
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sundance95
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/DMXdawg

These people tell me you have hope as-is, assuming your softs are pretty good. You've got a decent chance at Cornell but not great. You may very well get passed over by all four though, in fact I would have to guess that you will be (since your LSATs average to a 167 and "looking at high score only" is wishful thinking in a lot of cases). You should work on building a STRONG application in the coming months. A retake may hurt you but it could also get you into all of those schools. It's really up to you. Either way you should definitely put together a good application.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”