LOCI before being waitlisted?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LockBox

LOCI before being waitlisted?

Postby LockBox » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm below both 25% for a few schools i'm applying to but hope that my work experience and other softs will give me a bit of a boost. I was deferred at the school I ED'd to and am now in the RD pool. Would it be advantageous to go ahead and send a LOCI? I wrote a brief stint about how the school would be a good fit/my top choice in my PS but stopped short of a whyX since i had already ED'd and figured that was sufficient to indicate that I would matriculate if accepted. Now i'm not so sure that would come through.

Is the general thinking that I should wait to be waitlisted before sending a LOCI? Or since my numbers are below the 25% would sending a LOCI now be advisable? Has anyone done this in the past? Any thoughts are appreciated!

krad

Re: LOCI before being waitlisted?

Postby krad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm

LockBox wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm below both 25% for a few schools i'm applying to but hope that my work experience and other softs will give me a bit of a boost. I was deferred at the school I ED'd to and am now in the RD pool. Would it be advantageous to go ahead and send a LOCI? I wrote a brief stint about how the school would be a good fit/my top choice in my PS but stopped short of a whyX since i had already ED'd and figured that was sufficient to indicate that I would matriculate if accepted. Now i'm not so sure that would come through.

Is the general thinking that I should wait to be waitlisted before sending a LOCI? Or since my numbers are below the 25% would sending a LOCI now be advisable? Has anyone done this in the past? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sooo tl;rd is pre-decision LOCI to school that you've been ED -> RD?

I bet that they see that you were ED moved to RD, which holds weight in that they can see that they were your first choice. I'd probably send it, though this is IMO and I haven't seen too much on people submitting an LOCI pre-decision. The decision ED -> RD may be enough to warrant one to show your continued interest, since people sometimes switch to other ED's when they don't get in on one... Sorry, that probably didn't help too much but those are my thoughts! Good luck regardless.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:15 pm

krad wrote:
LockBox wrote:Hey everyone,

Sooo tl;rd is pre-decision LOCI to school that you've been ED -> RD?

I bet that they see that you were ED moved to RD, which holds weight in that they can see that they were your first choice. I'd probably send it, though this is IMO and I haven't seen too much on people submitting an LOCI pre-decision. The decision ED -> RD may be enough to warrant one to show your continued interest, since people sometimes switch to other ED's when they don't get in on one... Sorry, that probably didn't help too much but those are my thoughts! Good luck regardless.

Actually, that was quite helpful and appreciated. I'm worried about badgering or being too burdensome on the admission committee, but having numbers below the 25% leaves me thinking I might get dinged without being able to show my full interest in their program. Any other advice would be appreciated.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:12 pm

When I was deferred to RD from ED they stated that they would accept a kind of mix of a LOCI and Why Chicago.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:42 am

I think LOCIs are one thing that people on TLS don't gun enough on (believe it or not, there is such a thing).

Schools love it if you consistently show interest. And they are always looking to increase their yield rate. As long as you are not inappropriate or obsessive about it, send a LOCI. If the school hasn't heard from you in over a month, expressing your continued interest is definitely something you should do. I wouldn't send something more often than that, though, unless there are special circumstances.

I applied a day before the deadline at my target school since I was waiting for a February LSAT score. I applied Feb. 28, sent a LOCI the day I got waitlisted (about a month later), flew in to visit the campus a month after that, and sent a second LOCI a month after that even.

When they did start pulling people off the waitlist, I was one of the first to get in, despite a pretty lousy GPA. The caveat is that I probably would have gotten in anyway had I applied earlier...and I was only really waitlisted because I applied late. But it obviously didn't hurt me to send two LOCIs plus a campus visit within a 2-month period.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:32 am

JCougar wrote:I think LOCIs are one thing that people on TLS don't gun enough on (believe it or not, there is such a thing).

Schools love it if you consistently show interest. And they are always looking to increase their yield rate. As long as you are not inappropriate or obsessive about it, send a LOCI. If the school hasn't heard from you in over a month, expressing your continued interest is definitely something you should do. I wouldn't send something more often than that, though, unless there are special circumstances.

I applied a day before the deadline at my target school since I was waiting for a February LSAT score. I applied Feb. 28, sent a LOCI the day I got waitlisted (about a month later), flew in to visit the campus a month after that, and sent a second LOCI a month after that even.

When they did start pulling people off the waitlist, I was one of the first to get in, despite a pretty lousy GPA. The caveat is that I probably would have gotten in anyway had I applied earlier...and I was only really waitlisted because I applied late. But it obviously didn't hurt me to send two LOCIs plus a campus visit within a 2-month period.

This is definitely my POA for a school to which I foresee a dreaded WL... Good to know that it was successful (congrats)!

And after reading the above posts, Lock, I def think you should send the hell out of that LOCI- gl!

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm on it. Thanks for the advice everyone!

ldboston

Postby ldboston » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 pm

I just sent in an LOCI after being deferred to RD from ED. I emailed admissions before i did so and they said they welcome anything to update your application or express your interest.

I figure you should do everything you can to get into a school if its your top choice. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”