Does Undergraduate School Matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Robert515

New

Does Undergraduate School Matter?

Post by Robert515 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Hello,

Do law schools consider what undergraduate school you attended heavily in the admission process. I generally hear mixed responses. Has anyone had a lot of success coming from a state school? Have people had sub par numbers but got into great law schools because of their undergraduate institution? Let me know!

-Thanks

ATR

Silver

Re: Does Undergraduate School Matter?

Post by ATR » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Robert515 wrote:1)Do law schools consider what undergraduate school you attended heavily in the admission process. I generally hear mixed responses.

2) Has anyone had a lot of success coming from a state school?

3) Have people had sub par numbers but got into great law schools because of their undergraduate institution? Let me know!
1) No, unless it's HYP, maybe S.

2) Sure, people have had success from state schools.

3) People get admitted to schools with subpar numbers, but undergraduate institution is rarely the reason.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:59 pm

No.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:18 pm

I think the only thing that matters "heavily" is LSAT. As far as school, I would say (pessimistically) that since law schools are ranked based mostly on LSAT and UGPA and schools want to get good rankings to attract more candidates, a law school would care mostly about the GPA you got during UG instead of where you went. I think this is another reason LSAT matters so much - it standardizes everyone and holds them to the same scale. So if you went to a state school and got a 4.0 and a 170 on the LSAT you would be in a completely different league than even someone who had a 4.0 from the same school and got a 165.

Here's the redundant/terse version of what I just said: No.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:22 pm

I'll let you know after this cycle. My UG is a Tier 7. lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Well it does matter if you decide not to go to law school and the curve is an important thing to consider if you are thinking about law school (if you were deciding between princton and yale for instance) so it is not totally unimportant.

Idk if it is "a lot" of success but it doesn't seem like my sucky regional state school really hindered me at all and I did have pretty good job offers if I wasn't accepted into a good law school. Other graduate programs it might have made more of a difference because only a few of my professors are really widely known in their fields and I didn't have as good a relationship with them (though many of the young ones were doing interesting research).

Ship87

Bronze

Post by Ship87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Robert515 wrote:Hello,

Do law schools consider what undergraduate school you attended heavily in the admission process. I generally hear mixed responses. Has anyone had a lot of success coming from a state school? Have people had sub par numbers but got into great law schools because of their undergraduate institution? Let me know!

-Thanks
I'm coming from a state school that you've never heard of with a 3.74 and 177. So we'll see how much it matters soon haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”