PS and Resume Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oreo3405

Bronze

PS and Resume Question

Post by oreo3405 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Hey everyone,

I wrote my personal statement about me winning a local pageant title under the Miss America Organization and competing at Miss (State) this year. Competing in pageants was a large part of my life over the past 4 years and contributed to much of the activities and community service I have put on my resume. I also put the awards I've won in recent pageants on my resume (Talent awards, Academic scholarships, legal award, etc etc) Was this an appropriate move? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: Not a troll, valid question. Thank you :)

RMUDelicious

New

Re: PS and Resume Question

Post by RMUDelicious » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:09 pm

I see no issue with putting them on there. If you wrote about it in your PS, then it makes sense that there would be mention of it on your resume. Just take care to make sure it is demonstrated in an intelligent way, so that your accomplishments are shown to be because of your hard work and not just because of your appearance.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:43 pm

I agree - if it's in your PS, you should show it on your resume.

Part of my PS focused on a baking job I had after high school. Although it's been nearly twenty years since that job, and other, more relevant work experience pushed it off my professional resume, I consolidated some other stuff in order to show it on my LS resume. Figured everything should jive that way.

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:36 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:I agree - if it's in your PS, you should show it on your resume.

Part of my PS focused on a baking job I had after high school. Although it's been nearly twenty years since that job, and other, more relevant work experience pushed it off my professional resume, I consolidated some other stuff in order to show it on my LS resume. Figured everything should jive that way.

Great , thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”