Too old for top law schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tln39

Too old for top law schools?

Postby tln39 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:20 am

I am currently 25 years old and graduated from a top-30 university in May 2010. I am going to be entering a master's program in political science that will culminate in either December 2012 or May 2012, depending on how long I take to finish my thesis. I intend on applying to law schools in the fall of either 2012 or 2013 but I am not sure whether to apply while I am finishing my degree or to wait an additional year until I already have it. The reason I am not sure whether to wait that additional year is that I would ideally like to have the strongest possible recommendation from my thesis advisor, after having read the finished product and graded it. The problem I see is that if I wait that additional year, I will be 28 years old when I apply, 29 when I start law school and 3 years out of undergrad when I apply. How do the top law schools view older applicants who have taken 3+ years off since receiving their bachelor's degree? Also, in terms of post-law school employment, do top law firms shy away from hiring older graduates?

BrownBears09

Re: Too old for top law schools?

Postby BrownBears09 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 am

tln39 wrote:I am currently 25 years old and graduated from a top-30 university in May 2010. I am going to be entering a master's program in political science that will culminate in either December 2012 or May 2012, depending on how long I take to finish my thesis. I intend on applying to law schools in the fall of either 2012 or 2013 but I am not sure whether to apply while I am finishing my degree or to wait an additional year until I already have it. The reason I am not sure whether to wait that additional year is that I would ideally like to have the strongest possible recommendation from my thesis advisor, after having read the finished product and graded it. The problem I see is that if I wait that additional year, I will be 28 years old when I apply, 29 when I start law school and 3 years out of undergrad when I apply. How do the top law schools view older applicants who have taken 3+ years off since receiving their bachelor's degree? Also, in terms of post-law school employment, do top law firms shy away from hiring older graduates?

The search function is your friend. Non-traditional applicants.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:31 am

Am in my early 30s and so far accepted by Duke, G-town, and Texas. Age should never be an excuse. If you have compelling reasons and all the other requisites for a top law school, you'll have no problems. Re: firm jobs, well, I have the same question as you, but I would imagine if you're still dynamic and don't mind working long hours and that's clear, it'll be fine. That said, I'm just hoping I don't have any grey showing (none so far!) before my first OCI...

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:48 am

The only draw back is that you'll be the creepy old dude at bar review. The schools won't care.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:09 am

homestyle28 wrote:The only draw back is that you'll be the creepy old dude at bar review. The schools won't care.

Uh, he's 30, not 50.

OP, you'll be fine. There are plenty of us in the 25-30 range (hell, it's close to a majority). You'll be older than most, but I assure you that the 22-year-old K-thru-JD kids are far, far, far more annoying (especially at bar review).

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:11 am

SBL wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:The only draw back is that you'll be the creepy old dude at bar review. The schools won't care.

Uh, he's 30, not 50.

OP, you'll be fine. There are plenty of us in the 25-30 range (hell, it's close to a majority). You'll be older than most, but I assure you that the 22-year-old K-thru-JD kids are far, far, far more annoying (especially at bar review).

However, the 24 y/o K-JD kids, such as myself, simply exude awesome.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 am

SBL wrote: K-thru-JD

I've not seen this distinction before, but I like it....I think I'm going to start a K-JD charter school!

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:16 am

homestyle28 wrote:

I've not seen this distinction before, but I like it....I think I'm going to start a K-JD charter school!

$$$

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:27 am

Definitely don't worry about this. I'll have been out of undergrad for 6 years when I start LS, and will be 31 when I finish. I feel like I made the decision when I was ready to do so, and will benefit greatly from that fact. Good luck!

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:34 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

I might have to consider it if it's a 4-year program :lol:

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

I might have to consider it if it's a 4-year program :lol:

It would be EXACTLY like Billy Madison...EXACTLY, I'll get Bradley Whitford to be the dean, but ask that he stay in his Josh Lyman character from the west wing.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:55 pm

SBL wrote:

Uh, he's 30, not 50.

I'm just going to hang out at bar review and be creepy period.

Kidding. OP, I'm a just a touch older than you will be for that timeframe, and I'm already in at Duke and Berkeley. If anything you're a more interesting candidate for the schools - these squeaky people coming straight from undergrad are all going to look the same basically, application-wise.

As far as OCI, I obviously can't advise you on that yet. But my impression is that firms like the idea of someone who isn't going to require a ton of hand-holding. I dunno, I'm not stressing about it, but I have work experience in accounting and consulting, not a political science masters degree.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:04 pm

Don't worry about it. I'm 30 and just started. School care about numbers, but not that number.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”