Why X Essay and DS ??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Why X Essay and DS ??

Postby asdfqwer1234 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi guys. I'm taking the December test, and it's my third time taking it (162, cancel, dec). I was wondering how important are the optional essays for someone like me applying late in the cycle? If they are important, I plan to write the optional essays over the winter holiday, both "Why X Essays", DS, and addendum. Are there any guidelines for them? I have no clue on how to start on them. Thanks.

Re: Why X Essay and DS ??

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:15 pm

i'd say they are important. you should write them. give them a reason to say, hey you know what, let's accept this person.

-make them compelling. if you find that you don't even want to read it, do it again
-have friends/family look at it and give you honest feedback. at least 2 people
-this is pure opinion: write what comes naturally and modify that. this has worked for me pretty well
-as for getting started, lurk TLS threads on postings of DS, Why X, etc. also, lots of random people are posting looking for suggestions. maybe edit one for another TLSer and that will be an example (not necessarily a good example, but something to get you started)

Re: Why X Essay and DS ??

Postby christen8891 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:05 pm

I'd definitely say it was important. In my acceptance letter from Georgetown, they quoted statements from that essay. I'd say you should make sure it incorporates why you would be a good fit in their school though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”